Name a White Alto Player

AllenLowe

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Turner is a good Canadian alto player. Another Canadian Phil Dwyer usually plays tenor and also piano, but has also recorded on alto. BTW, Dwyer is a really fine tenor player. Still another Canadian alto player is Campbell Ryga.

It is possible that Gary Pribek might just be the best, or one of the best real BEBOP alto players around.

Of course, Charles McPherson and Frank Morgan ( both not white), might vie for that allocade?

Unfortunately, there is not a huge amount of recorded music available with Pribek. He was a sideman with Buddy Rich, Lionel Hampton, and the Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. The best place to hear him is on a number of Danny D'Imperio's recordings.

I attended the D'Imperio recording session on the Sackville label titled THE OUTLAW, where I had a chance to hear Pribek live over two days. He is a marvelous alto player.

wrong picture, Leeway...

Garth-- talk to me. i had all sortsa early Phil & it was fine; the Mosaic just brought me down. what in between or after those do you dig & why?

gracias,

clementine gets a-head

Clem,

I agree that a lot of the stuff that he did for his own label and then Concord, was rather repetitious and let's say it, boring. I was NOT a lover of the Quintets he had at that time. I do not own the Mosaic set for that reason. But the much of the stuff he did for the Italian Philology label (named after him.. Geez!) is very intense although sometimes uneven, seemingly hastily put together. I would recommend particularly the 2-CD duo set he did with Gordon Beck, "The Complete Wigmore Hall Concert" on the French JMS Label; also, of course, "Musique De Bois" on Muse (with Byard, Richard Davis, Alan Dawson) is one of the best alto quartet bop albums ever recorded IMHO! I also heartily recommend "Here's To My Lady" with Flanagan, Mraz and Kenny Washington on the Chesky label, and "Ornithology" a quartet session on Philology with Franco D'Andrea (p), Attilio Zanchi (b), and Gianni Cazzola (d).

Hmmmmmmmm.. now THAT should open your ears a little bit to what Woods is capable of now that he is out of the clutches of Concord! As I said previously, his delightful (nothing dramatic) album of Quincy Jones music is a current "mellow mood" favorite of mine ...

I should also add that he has been recently trouring with Bud Shank to great acclaim from those who have heard this two-alto dynamo. They have cut a record and is should be available in the coming monhs.. I can't wait to hear that ... two 70 year old alto players piercing the ether!

woods did a beautiful duo album that i really like, "flowers for hodges," with jim mcneely.

this makes 3 concords i own, by denny zeitlin, hodges, and marian mcpartland. not a particular fan of that label.

this shank resurgence surprises me. in the 60's, shank, chet baker, oliver nelson, and joe pas were spitting out mostly forgettable poppish albums by the dozen on pacific jazz.

my favorite shank album was a beautiful beautiful pacific jazz album with kimio eto, called koto and flute.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

John Tchicai

Tchicai is black; he's of Danish & Congolese heritage.

He's of Danish & Congolese heritage, so that makes him black? - whatever that might mean.

Most people would see me as white, but I wonder what would show up if I had my DNA tested for a genetic profile? Perhaps if everyone everywhere had a genetic profile test done it might start a lot of folks thinking, and perhaps change some thinking.

are we still talking about white alto players?

Bird played a white plastic alto at Massey Hall, didn't he?

But the subject is white alto players, not players of white altos. :)

I suspected it. :)

Though I have some problem in general with english: you mean "white alto player" as white man playing alto saxophone only because of the contest of discussion, if I write "Name a white dog owner", you could mean both "a white man who own a dog" as "a man who own a white dog", don't you?

Damn anglosaxons with your dazed unordered ill-formed language! Learn some fucking coherent latin! :g

Edited by porcy62

John Tchicai

He's of Danish & Congolese heritage, so that makes him black? - whatever that might mean.

Most people would see me as white, but I wonder what would show up if I had my DNA tested for a genetic profile? Perhaps if everyone everywhere had a genetic profile test done it might start a lot of folks thinking, and perhaps change some thinking.

Not intended to be racist... jeez.

John Tchicai

Not intended to be racist... jeez.

I know that, clifford. Didn't mean to single you out. Just wanted to turn the thinking of the thread around a bit. Probably shouldn't have posted anything, as it's a very, very, very complex subject.

There are several good plastic alto players from Sweden... Johan Hörlén, Per "Ruskträsk" Johansson (not to be confused with the tenor and clarinet player Per "Texas" Johansson), Peter Fredman, Håkan Broström...

More well-known is perhaps the late Rolf Billberg.

764.jpg