Overlooked Guitarists

Brad

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the recently deceased Hank Garland as a great jazz guitar player when he chose to be. His albums on Columbia are classic straight ahead excursions, and have recently been reissued. This is well worth listening to ....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

Edited by garthsj

There was an early 70s Columbia 2-LP thing, some guitar concert or something, and it had a set from Tiny Grimes that was pretty mindbending. Not at all what you'd expect based on his past recordings. Shawn can tell you about it. But hey, WHOA!

Let us not forget that Mr. Alvino Rey also provided early employment for Mr. Charles Mingus, as well as the other Mssrs. that Mr. Milazzo mentioned.

More kudos to George Freeman. The word "idiodyncratic" seems to have been coined especially for him, but dammit, he can make me smile out loud everytime he plays, and that goes a long way in my book.

Thanks, Jazzshrink, for posting the two Adam Rafferty discs. He's also on The New York Trio Project disc "Fifth House", a disc I keep coming back too since I got it. A couple of other guitar discs I listen to alot by lesser known artists include "Trioing" by Jonathan Kreisberg and "Meeting Standards" by Clay Moore. Both deserve wider expsoure.

Can anyone reccommend any dates that showcase Allen Reuss? I only know him from the Coleman Hawkins date "Hollywood Stampede".

I saw Glen Campell jam w/George Benson on a Midnight Special (an NBC TV music show for all you kids out there) last century, and Campbell more than held his own, to the point where when they started trading fours, I was in the kitchen making a sandwich not looking at the TV and assumed that what turned out to be Campell was in fact Benson, and vice-versa.

Who knew?

You remember making a sandwich from that far back in the last century? I don't remember things in that kind of detail... although I have retained the jingle for Sport Cola...

"How would you like a good swift KICK... that's whatcha get from great new SPORT..."

:g

A lot of great mentions so far. How about Ron Affif? Some very nice dates on Pablo.

Eddie Lang - there's a good collection on Yazoo.

For a good overview of jazz guitar through 1950, see the Proper box "Hittin' On All Six."

Finally, I gotta mention a guitarist I see gigging in the Grand Central Station IRT mezzanine. He's Japanese, I don't know his name, but the guy can play! He's obviously digested Grant Green, but plays bluisier and faster. He's definitely worth a buck every now and then when I pass by.

Yes, Hank Garland - and Jimmy Bryant, another ocuntry/jazz crossover - and let's not forget Glen Campbell, a great guitarist -

I'm glad you mentioned Jimmy Bryant. He's my favorite guitarist. I know he focused on country/western music, but I've read in the fifties he often jammed with Stuff Smith.

If you guys have open ears, I highly recommend picking up one of his compilation CDs with Speedy West. The second volume has an extended workout on the song China Boy that is worth the price of admission alone.

:tup

Thanks, Jazzshrink, for posting the two Adam Rafferty discs. He's also on The New York Trio Project disc "Fifth House", a disc I keep coming back too since I got it. A couple of other guitar discs I listen to alot by lesser known artists include "Trioing" by Jonathan Kreisberg and "Meeting Standards" by Clay Moore. Both deserve wider expsoure.

Can anyone reccommend any dates that showcase Allen Reuss? I only know him from the Coleman Hawkins date "Hollywood Stampede".

Reuss is featured with pianist Arnold Ross' Quartet on the Complete Benny Carter on Keynote.

Edited by Brownian Motion

Hey Jim - do you have/have you heard that Columbia live thing w/the Grimes stuff on it I mentioned early?

I had that record, I think, but it and the memories are long gone. I should try a search, but I'm frustrated with Google right now... I couldn't find the name of the short-lived show Wally Cox starred in when he was appearing in the Sport Cola commercials. It was a bumbling superhero character, as I recall. "Captain Fantastic", or "Mr. Wonderful", or something like that...

Yep, that's the one. I remember digging Joe Beck (another name that belongs on this thread) on "All Blues". I'm really foggy on it, though. Anyway, nice Googlin'. B-) Now can somebody help me figure out what TV show Wally Cox did in 1968 (I think)? Not a successful show... I think it was on NBC.

=====

Eddie McFadden, oh yeah! :tup

How 'bout Billy Butler, and Bill Jennings?

Now can somebody help me figure out what TV show Wally Cox did in 1968 (I think)?  Not a successful show...  I think it was on NBC.

Wally Cox was the voice of "Underdog" ... 1968-70 seasons ... "There's no need to fear -- Underdog is here!"

He starred in two earlier shows .... "Mr Peepers," 1952-55; and "The Adventures of Hiram Holliday," 1956-57

Edited by garthsj

Now can somebody help me figure out what TV show Wally Cox did in 1968 (I think)?  Not a successful show...  I think it was on NBC.

Wally Cox was the voice of "Underdog" ... 1968-70 seasons ... "There's no need to fear -- Underdog is here!"

And "Underdog" was on NBC.

But didn't it start earlier than 1968?

Has anyone mentioned Billy Butler?

Sometimes I wonder if my posts are invisible. In case they really are, I mentioned Billy Butler in the last line of the post that preceded the question...

:blink:

=====

Guys, I know about Underdog. I'm talking about a show (not a cartoon) that was unsuccessful- I don't know if it even ran for a complete season. Cox starred as some kind of nerdy (of course) superhero. I can't remember any other details. I thought it might have been called "Captain Fantastic". As I recall, there was a show on another network with a similar theme, with a title along the lines of "Mr. Wonderful". I can picture the star's face, but can't remember his name. I'm thinking these were on in '68, because a Google search revealed that Cox was in some Sport Cola ads in '68, and I associate the experience of seeing the show in conjunction with those ads. I suppose it could have been slightly earlier... possibly '66 or '67.

The trouble with the Google searches I've tried is that I keep getting too many hits related to "Mr. Peepers", "Hiram Holiday", "Underdog", and "The Hollywood Squares". Does anybody know of a good source of info for TV shows that flopped? I could swear I had seen a reference to this show online a few years ago...