worst jazz song of all time

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

this dude was scatting (and rhyming) the names of every bass player in jazz. he was all: theres gary peacock and ron carter, wilbur ware and isreal crosby etc but it all rhymed. it made me sick

Of jazz songs that anybody actually played, I've always been unable to take "Lullaby of Birdland." I know it's just a variant on "Love Me or Leave Me," but the line is so naggingly insistent and jingle-like that I can't imagine how hard it would be as a player to get it out of the way and keep it there.

Well I meant that statement to be a part of my whole post, but since you are taking it out of my post, well I meant, that, if a jazz musician wrote a song, and it swung and it grooved, it's all right. I might like other songs better thatn that one, but I mean I can take it. But if some pop or R&B musician does a song and calls it, "jazz" I probaly will not be too fond of it.

Of jazz songs that anybody actually played, I've always been unable to take "Lullaby of Birdland." I know it's just a variant on "Love Me or Leave Me," but the line is so naggingly insistent and jingle-like that I can't imagine how hard it would be as a player to get it out of the way and keep it there.

On the contrary I like the song so much (and I don't like "Love Me Or Leave Me" that much) as well as I like its author, George Shearing!

But, speaking of tastes... not wise thing to do :(

Somewhat on topic - I've always thought he song "Too Close for Comfort" was incredibly banal, taken on its own terms. It's remarkable any jazz artist can do much with it, yet you get someone like Art Pepper and he turns it into magic. A gift.

I don't know - to me the worst jazz song is anything written by Leonard Feather - if you don't believe me ask Chris Albertson -

Leonard and his ersatz blues lyrics--very annoying. But not as annoying as his piano playing--how many sessions Leonard organized did he ruin with his clunky, inert approach to the keyboard?