NE Blizzard of 2005 (Part I?)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we had 14 inches. Sat. night I went out, brushed off the car and drove it in and out of the spot a couple of times. Yesterday I didn't bother with it. This afternoon I went out, and there was hardly any snow on the car! Without any digging, I pulled out and drove it to a spot that I can see from my apt.

I got a little over a foot of snow in Brooklyn. On Saturday there was a lull in the snow around 6P.M. and my son and I shoveled and it looked pretty clear. On Sunday morning it looked as if we hadn't done anything at all.

Saturday night I was up 'till about 12:45, and while sleeping peacefully around 6A.M. my wife woke me up and said the boiler was acting strange. I go down to look at it, open the boiler room door, and a cloud of steam enveloped me! I reached around, blind as a bat(I wear glasses) and shut off the boiler. So I check everything I know to check, and no go to getting it going again. So I call my oil company(I have a service contract with them for boiler repairs), and they tell me a guy will be there by 11:00A.M. True to their word, the guy actually shows up on time, checks the boiler, restarts it, hangs around for about 20 minutes, the house starts to warm up again, sez 'You should be OK now" and leaves. Fifteen minutes after he leaves it happens again, huge cloud of steam, must shut the boiler again. This time, my wife, a far superior negotiator than I am, calls the oil company, and they say he'll be back around 5:00 P.M.. Around 4:30, here comes the same guy, looking a bit perturbed, looks at the bolier again and deduces that it's some valve that was malfunctioning. So he goes out to his truck, gets a new valve, replaces it and BINGO! everything's good again and I have heat and hot water. In between repair visits I spent about two hours shoveling again. WHAT A DAY!!! I'm ready for some melting now.

Edited by PHILLYQ