Jazz CD stores in Paris

bertrand

I’m off to Paris (France) tomorrow. We all need the vacation desperately.

I know this was covered on the old board, but I never printed the threads.

Does anyone know any obscure stores with a surprisingly good stash of jazz CDs (or vinyl)? I'm definitely going to hit a couple of FNACS and the Virgin on the Champs-Elysees, and of course Paris Jazz Corner. But are there any others worth checking out?

I also will hit he big 4-0 on Monday. Ouch!

Thanks in advance,

Bertrand.

Bernard: Take the Metro to Jussieu (5-iem) and check out a motherload of jazz stores all within a close radius of each other:

Jussieu Jazz (my personal favorite) 5, Rue Guy de la Brosse http://www.jussieumusic.com/jazz.htm

Paris Jazz Corner (5, Rue de Navarre) http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/

Crocojazz (64 rue de la Montagne Sainte-Geneviève) http://www.crocodisc.com/

There is another good store right across the street from Crocojazz. I can’t remember the name.

O’CD (26 rue des Ecoles)

There are other good stores close by on St. Michel.

Have a good time!

John

Bertrand, catching up on this late. Hope you still have access to the board.

John L. listed good stores. Agree with Jussieu Jazz being a great place.

Missing however are:

Gibert Musique at 34 Boulevard Saint-Michel. They have a good choice of new

and secondhand CDs (plus some vinyls) on their second floor.

Paralleles at 36 rue des Bourdonnais (Paris 1), near the Forum des Halles.

They have a good selection of secondhand CDs, vinyls and books in their jazz corner.

Also have a look at Dream Store (4 Place Saint-Michel), they still have a number

of firsthand Masters of Jazz CDs Armstrong, Duke, Bix, Billie, Lunceford, Bechet,

Basie, Sinatras) at something

like 7 euros.

They obviously bought a stock when the label disappeared. The stock is now

dwindling.

And the store across CrocoJazz is 'La Dame Blanche'.

• 5 weeks later...

I just got back from a 5 day visit to Paris. Unfortunately, the only music store I was able to spend time in was Virgin. My traveling companions were 2 & 5, so they were more interested in the Eiffel Tower and Disneyland than looking for jazz cds. But Virgin was big, flashy, and fun. And I think it's the only store I've been into that has separate sections for Jazz and Jazz Fusion. B) Thanks for the recommendations below; on our next trip I plan to dedicate some time for cd shopping.

On a side note, we stayed with some friends of ours in Paris, who are originally from Algeria. Had some of the best couscous and bourek that I've had in years! Also got to watch al Jazeera TV for the first time, directly (via satellite). That was quite interesting!

• 4 years later...

Clunky, the best place to buy vinyl in Paris is Paris Jazz Corner, on the rue de Navarre (just off the Arenes de Paris).

There is also Crocojazz on the rue de la Montagne Sainte-Genevieve, just below the Pantheon monument.

Both shops are in the same Left Bank area. You can walk from one place to the next.

The two can be pretty expensive!

• 5 weeks later...

There is also Crocojazz on the rue de la Montagne Sainte-Genevieve, just below the Pantheon monument.

Both shops are in the same Left Bank area. You can walk from one place to the next.

The two can be pretty expensive!

Thanks for the tip, picked up a couple of Solal's LP (Gaumont Bigband, Columbia reissue of a 1960s LP), but you're not kidding about the prices, 15-20 euros for OJC LPs,. Beautiful setting though. The prices were so high I only spent 10 mins in the place not wishing to be tempted. :blink:

• 1 year later...

Bernard: Take the Metro to Jussieu (5-iem) and check out a motherload of jazz stores all within a close radius of each other:

Jussieu Jazz (my personal favorite) 5, Rue Guy de la Brosse http://www.jussieumusic.com/jazz.htm

Paris Jazz Corner (5, Rue de Navarre) http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/

Crocojazz (64 rue de la Montagne Sainte-Geneviève) http://www.crocodisc.com/

There is another good store right across the street from Crocojazz. I can’t remember the name.

O’CD (26 rue des Ecoles)

There are other good stores close by on St. Michel.

Have a good time!

John

Jussieu Jazz no longer exists, it's now a malagasy store.

And Paris Jazz Corner, Crocojazz, and La dame blanche have an inredible collection but it's actually damned expensive!

thanks ubu, i've spent half an hour in Gibert before heading to Orleans for the weekend. Did not spend any money but they actually have a great new and second hand collection and it's good value for money. I'll be back there very soon.

Edited by aparxa

thanks ubu, i've spent half an hour in Gibert before heading to Orleans for the weekend. Did not spend any money but they actually have a great new and second hand collection and it's good value for money. I'll be back there very soon.

I assume you found the right one, on Blvd Saint Michel? There are others, but only one (I couldn't tell you where it is, a five or ten minute walk from Saint-Mich) also has used CDs, I think.... found a Masters of Jazz disc by Benny Carter there, I think (and I couldn't restrain myself... I must have bought over 20 CDs at the big one in that week I spent in Paris...)

Yep, I've been to this one, Gibert Joseph on 34 Blvd Saint Michel, after all the other Gibert Jeunes and Gibert Joseph stores (stationery and bookstores). I will try to do a map of Paris with all the jazz related places soon. I had no money, , just a hand luggage and not much place to store CD in Glasgow, so I managed to restrain myself :g

Yep, I've been to this one, Gibert Joseph on 34 Blvd Saint Michel, after all the other Gibert Jeunes and Gibert Joseph stores (stationery and bookstores). I will try to do a map of Paris with all the jazz related places soon. I had no money, , just a hand luggage and not much place to store CD in Glasgow, so I managed to restrain myself :g

ah well, you're lucky... I should learn to restrain myself again, too!