Prestige Vs. Blue Note

Jazz Kat

Prestige Vs. Blue Note  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to participate as this is obviously another subversive attempt by Jazz Kat to bring the board chaos!

FINE I'M SHUTTING IT DOWN!!! OBVIOUSLY SOME PEOPLE CAN'T HAVE FUN!!!1 IT TURNS OUT YOU ARE THE ONE WHO BRINGS THE BOARD TO CHAOS.

Raging adolescent hormones. :wacko:

Dude, chill out, come back to lowercase. I'm just having a little of the fun you are referring to. No one here thinks you're trying to "bring down the board."

I was just referring to your "worst" Blue Note thread which, by no fault of your own, was beginning to get a little heated. And really not heated at all as we're all adults here... well, there are a lot of adults here, and if someone calls our favorite album a load of uninspired crap, it's not the end of the world.

Black Saint

Leo

Quit being difficult. ;)

:lol:

But seriously, didn't Blue Note PAY the musicians for REHEARSALS before the recording? That is why Blue Notes sounds so polished and Prestiges can sound rough around the edges. And Rudy Van Gelder was a big part of it too (although there are a few Prestiges that were engineered by RVG, correct?)

I have more BN than Prestige, though if you added all the labels under Fantasy, it would be pretty close. If you were going to give me the entire run of some label, I probably would go with Prestige, since I have most of the BN I am looking for (other than Head On, and Inner Glow, and Jutta Hipp, and some Bill Evans ... and Trainwreck).

This has been a valuable lesson in human development for me.

Apparently the detection and compresion of sarcasm doesn't occur until sometime after... well at least age 15. (How old was Cooltrane?)

I present my apologies to anyone who I have offended or even mildly upset by my reckless use of sacasm (I would prefer to call it wit but that is likely giving myself too much credit) I have no beef with anyone here, I enjoy your company, I want you all to stay, yadda, yadda, yadda.

From now on, please realize that I'm never too serious and I am usually trying to be humerous to some degree.

Wow, he went all *Aric* on us.

there's two big differences between the jazz kat and aric:

1) jazz cat is only 15 (that's not meant as a putdown, jk)

2) it took jazz cat only 30 minutes to accept responsibility for his actions and apologize. that's something aric has never been willing to do, no matter how much time he's had.

Edited by jazzshrink

This has been a valuable lesson in human development for me.

Apparently the detection and compresion of sarcasm doesn't occur until sometime after... well at least age 15. (How old was Cooltrane?)

I present my apologies to anyone who I have offended or even mildly upset by my reckless use of sacasm (I would prefer to call it wit but that is likely giving myself too much credit) I have no beef with anyone here, I enjoy your company, I want you all to stay, yadda, yadda, yadda.

From now on, please realize that I'm never too serious and I am usually trying to be humerous to some degree.

That's why, love 'em or hate 'em, I highly recommend the use of smilie. Now, when I read your post (and the one on the "worst" thread), my sarcasm detector almost melted down it was so strong. But some people hock their detectors to buy more music, so you never know....

You might be able to have some fun with the question if you rework it a bit; for example: You have just won the Grand Prize, your choice of the entire catalog of CDs issued by Blue Note or Prestige. You must choose one; which would it be?

Okay; I'll vote now. I have a lot more Blue Note than Prestige and will have less duplication if I vote for Prestige! Whew... ;)

If it's 'you get the complet run of the label, but that's all you get to listen to through all eternity or at least for the rest of your natural born days', then I'd take Atlantic id it included the Stax/Volt and other stuff they distributed and the Chess bros. labels if not (Chess/Checker/Argo/Cadet). But judged strictly as a consistently groovy jazz label, it's the Alfred and Francis record company by a mile, IMHO.

Well, if you look at the 1940s, its no contest! :g

Seriously, I think that Prestige had a better track record when they had Miles, Monk, McLean, Sonny, the MJQ, etc. I find most BN sessions from this era to be good, but often very much "blowing sessions". Fine results, but not always memorable settings in terms of compositions and arrangements and varied programming (a complaint justifiably levelled against Prestige too, but look at the discographis of both labels chronologically and see if you agree that Prestige "wins out" in terms of "classics" up until about 1957 or so).

Then, when the aforementioned artists left Prestige, it kind of splintered into a swing-centric "soul-jazz" label (Prestige proper as well as all the Moodsville, Swingville, Bluesville, etc offshoots) that produced much great (if not innovative) music and the New Jazz label, which had some great stuff, notably Dolphy, a lot of which didn't create too much of an impact, though (Dolphy being a notable exception). This is the era when BN was at its peak, I think, in terms of consistency, quality, and innovation.

But then, when Don Schlitten started doing work for Prestige in the mid(?)-1960s, the label had a very, very respectable run of releases, not necessarily "cutting edge", but nevertheless strong work by some fine players, all of them either hardcore beboppers or rooted in bebop. This era overlaps the era when BN was becoming more diffuse, and also putting out a mixed bag of releases. As the decade came to a close, Prestige was definitely gaining an edge, I think, what with Sclitten's work and Bob Porter's coming in to produce all those organ dates.

Into the 1970s, as Blue Note Hit A New Note, no question - Porter's soul-jazz sides easily blew away the Mizell Brothers dreck. And then, without fanfare, it was all done.

So call it a draw.

But if you want to have a tie-breaker, BN definitely did a better job of stockpiling and archiving. Prestige was a "cut it and release it" label. So from the 1970s on, people were able to pull out unreleased gems from the BN vaults, wheras Prestige mostly had to reissue what they'd already done. So give BN the edge here.

A silly question, perhaps, but a serious answer/opinion nevertheless.

Edited by JSngry