Organ & Vibes

Sundog

It seems like these two instruments have the potential to sound very good together. To be honest I can't remember ever hearing the combination. I'm sure it's been done. As a matter of fact I probably have some examples in my collection. Unfortunately I can seem to locate any. :w Favorites?

Big John Patton's Let 'Em Roll (with Green, Hutch and Otis Finch) is the other 'classic' with this instrumental combination that leaps to mind.

I suspect Joe Locke must have done something along those lines - I know how he did a gig at Blues Alley with Larry Goldings that I stupidly skipped, and we discussed later how rare that combination is.

Bertrand.

I'll have to check out Tough Duff! I'd love to hear Goldings with a vibist. The other two albums are the only ones that I own. Of the two, I actually prefer Street of Dreams. All semi-obscure standards (at least to me) played fairly loosely with a less typical organ guitar approach. The Big John Patton album is good as well, but more characteristic of an organ guitar trio.

Other recommendations?

the Wild Bill Davis Americans Swinging in Paris disk features Danny Doriz on vibes.

http://www.capitolmusic.de/xml/1/3251725/5396652.html

Earl Bostic recorded some nice stuff with Roland Johnson on vibes and Bill Doggett on organ.

Grant Green - Alive (BN) features the combination. And there are three tracks on the Billy Mitchell Verve LPR as well.

I've always wanted to do an organ/vibes record but there are no good vibe players in the area.

Scratch that... there's a cat in Ann Arbor that's very good. Damn. Now I have no excuse! :)

I hope you find time for a side project...or at least another guest on a future recording. :g

Isn' there a Johnny Hammond with Lem Winchester as well?

Winchester did more than one session with organists:

• Shirley Scott, Soul Sister (available on Prestige PRCD-24233-2 "Legends of Acid Jazz: Soul Sister")
  • Oliver Nelson, Takin' Care of Business (available on Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-1784-2)
  • Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Gettin' The Message (available on "Talk That Talk" Prestige PRCD-24151-2)
  • Jack McDuff, Tough Duff (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-324-2)

Edited by mikeweil

Joe Has recorded with Dr. Smith, but not a whole cd and not when Lonnie was the leader.

What CD is it that Joe and the Turbanator are on? :excited:

Here it is, Mike, from The Hiram Bullock website:

Hiram Bullock

Late Night Talk (1997)

My jazz album, definitely a mellower sound. Features Dr. Lonnie Smith on organ, Idris Muhammad on drums, Joe Locke on vibes, Ed Howard on acoustic bass.Hiram Bullock