BFT 22 Answers

danasgoodstuff

Just the answers, I''l try to do more extensive commentary later.

1) "Do It", Jack Wilson from Easterly Winds (BN 1967). As many surmised, ably assisted by Jackie Mac, Lee Morgan, and Billy Higgins.

2) "Moanin'", Ray Charles From Genius + Soul = Jazz (Impulse 196?). Not much respect for brother Ray's organ tone round here. Same album as the hit instrumental "One Mint Julep".

3) "Watermellon Man" by the JBs (early '70s, reissued on a dbl CD anthology). I prefer the '60s bands renditions of "Sidewinder" & "song For My Father" but I only have them on vinyl and I can't burn from that.

4) "Ole" from News For Lulu by Zorn/Frisell/Lewis (Hat Hut OP?).

5) 8 1/2 by Nina Rota from a collection of music he wrote for various Fellini films.

6) "Last Tango Suite, pt.5" by Gato Barbieri from music originally used in the actual film soundtrack, now added to the Soundtrack Album as bonus tracks.

7) "La China...", Gato again. This version recorded in LA, originally intended for release as a single but not issued til added as a bonus to dbl CD Latin America, mostly recorded in Buenos Aires and Rio.

8) "Monk's Mood" by the New York Contemporary 5, recorded live in Europe, and featuring Don Cherry and Archie Shepp, among others...

9) "Backwater Blues" by Archie Shepp & Horace Parlan from Trouble in Mind (Steeplechase 1979/80).

10) "Who Does She Hope to Be?" by Sonny Sharrock from his (and producer Bill Laswell's) masterpiece, Ask the Ages featuring Elvin Jones and Pharogh Sanders.

11) "East Timor" by Ginger Baker, Bill Frisell and Charlie Haden from the first of their two albums together. Maybe Cream should do this at the Albert hall, or let ginger have his say on current British foreign policy....

12) "Got to Hurry" by the Yardbirds, the B-side of "For Your Love", at least in some markets, and indicative of Eric's artistic differences with the rest of that band which lead to his departure. Anyone know who did this originally, or for that matter, "Steppin' Out"?

13) "Still I'm Sad" by the 3 Sounds (Dan's resonse should've given this away!). This was also a Yardbirds B-side, from the Jeff Beck era.

14) "Work Song" by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, from East/West (1966). Featuring Bloomfield and Bishop on guitars and Mark Naftalin (still working, I think) on organ.

15) "Sack o' Woe" by the Mar-Keys (Stax/Volt 1962?). Originally album filler, later issued on a single, feat. future Memphis Horn Wayne Jackson on trumpet.

16) "Willow Weep For Me" by Booker T. & the MGs, album filler. Might be Booker on piano, might be Isaac Hayes; they were pretty casual on Mclenore back in the day.

17) "America the Beautiful" by Herb Ellis from Texas Swings, feat. Willie Nelson, Johnny Gimbel, et al.

18) "Walkin' the Floor Over You" by the 3 Sounds, originally by Ernest Tubb & His Texas Troubadours.

19) "Sugarfoot Rag" by Jr. Brown, originally by Hank Garland, a million seller back in 1949!

20) Where Or When" by Dion & the Belmonts, 'bout the same time as "Teenager In Love". No I wasn't trying to be ironical, I just like this.

21) Time Berne from his tribute to Julius Hempell, feat. David Sandborn, and I've forgotten the name of the tune and the album.

Good work in getting nearly all of it and thanks for playing!

I did well on this one, by my standards. I got that there were two Gato tracks in a row, recognized there was something Monk-like about a Monk track, nailed the Hendrix quotes, and of course knew the JB's...

...but I didn't get the Jack Wilson, though I just bought the cd after Big Al's test. :blink::rmad::eye:

Thanks again Dana, sorry to read you don't have as much time to hang out!

The Nino Rota "Otto Mezzo" from 8 1/2 is from an album/CD calledLa Dolce Vita by the Czech Symphony Orch.. I t's subtitled "New Symphonic Suites", so I guess it's neither a Soundtrack Album nor music from an actual film soundtrack but rather reworkings of the material just as Wilner's Amacord Nono Rota is, which by the way I love but only have on vinyl... The other reason I didn't use Amacord Nono Rota is that the Carla Bley track (my fav) is way too long. Even though this rendition is less jazzy than Amacord NR, I still hear a little jazz (or what Europeans think of jazz) influence, no?

The bassist on #10 is Charnett Moffet, son of drummer Charles Moffet. Kinda surprised by the cool recption this got, I find the combination of feedback and brushes nice on a purely sonic level. Not particularly typical of the rest of the album which is more up and at 'em.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

14) "Work Song" by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, from East/West (1966). Featuring Bloomfield and Bishop on guitars and Mark Naftalin (still working, I think) on organ.

I had a feeling that's who it was. I never owned a Butterfield album... never was really attracted by their sound. I actually prefer Bishop to Bloomfield (who really sounded off to me on this track), and I liked Elvin better in his post- straight ahead blues years. Saw him at a small club in the early 70's- great fun was had by all.

17) "America the Beautiful" by Herb Ellis from Texas Swings, feat. Willie Nelson, Johnny Gimbel, et al.

It took me awhile to recognize Herb, and then I went DUH when I realized that was Willie. :rolleyes:

19)  "Sugarfoot Rag" by Jr. Brown, originally by Hank Garland, a million seller back in 1949!

Well, at least I mentioned Junior as a possibility. He's definitely a monster. I haven't seen/heard about him for awhile. I recall seeing him on some late-night TV show years ago, and wondered why he wasn't a household name. I don't think I've ever heard the Garland version...! :huh: