Jimmy Smith Has Passed

RonF

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The morning DJ on KKJZ in Los Angeles was playing Jimmy Smith in tribute, and said he passed away two nights ago at his home in Arizona. She said they would be playing Jimmy Smith songs through the day (but not only Jimmy Smith). That's 88.1 in Southern California.

R.I.P. Mr. Smith

It was this board that really forced me to get into Jimmy Smith.

I came late to his stuff but think it is stellar.

You could say that all of you made me love Jimmy Smith. He's become a constant in this household because of it.

I was saddened to hear about his passing, but I'm happy that there are so many excellent recordings he left behind which, to me, have this unwavering upbeat quality to them that always gets me in a good mood. I don't think I've started a weekend without Jimmy Smith since I bought the first CD. That makes him one of the very, very, very few.

:(

Edited by deus62

It was this board that really forced me to get into Jimmy Smith.

Same here.

I'd have to say that it was my mother who introduced me to JS.

Couldn't help it really! Kinda born into it really: Smith, Ammons,

Adderley, Jamal... so many others were constantly playing in the house,

so I couldn't get away from it even if I wanted to! :lol:

---

Now playing: WKCR - Columbia University

Edited by rostasi

For me, it went like this:

1) Beastie Boys: Root Down. I knew it was a Jimmy Smith sample, and then I tracked down a copy of the record, and we all jammed out hard to that shit for a while. Then I found it CD (with bonus tracks, even!)

2) the two Jimmy and Wes records: I had dug Wes for a while, so when the Verve reissues of those CD's came out, I jumped on 'em.

3) the early 60's BN sides: you know, Back at the Chicken Shack, The Sermon, etc, etc, etc.

4) the 50's BN sides: this turned me from a fan into a fanatic. Hearing Jimmy go off for 13 minutes on some Bebop just spun my head around. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY can play that uptempo shit the way that Jimmy could.

5) being in an organ trio for a while, you have to start checking out what these drummers are doing when they play with an organist. How they approach their instrument, and what they do differently than when they play with a bass player. Jimmy and Donald Bailey was the obvious place to start.

Jimmy just kinda owned me after that.

'KCR is having a bit of a time with some scratchy records - gotta move that needle over...

Still, it's good to hear real LPs for a change - scratches and all!

(Just pretend you're listening next to a cozy, crackling fire...)

---

Now playing: WKCR - Columbia University

Jimmy Smith was truly my ONLY intro to jazz when I was a kid. The single of "Walk on the Wild Side" was on the jukebox at the diner where we would eat about once a week. Many a nickel went into that machine as that cut was also played at home via 'Bashin!' and probably the only tune recognizable to me in those days.

I'm still shocked at hearing this news, although I shouldn't be as I was aware that he hadn't been well of late. Having said that, I think he played a gig here in London within the last month or two so, yes, this is a shock. I'm sorry that I didn't get to see a Jimmy Smith performance whilst I had the chance - c'est la vie I guess :( . Nevertheless, Jimmy has a wonderful recorded legacy and his importance to jazz history as the major innovator on the B-3 is assured.

RIP and thanks for some truly wonderful music...