Dave Holland Big Band "Overtime"

LWayne

Picked this CD up last night and have listened to it all the way through twice so far. I am listening to it right now at work.

Being an avid Dave Holland fan I am sure that I am biased in favor of liking the CD, but have nonetheless really enjoyed what I have heard on this killer CD.

In particular, I really enjoy listening to the recorded version of "The Monterey Suite" which I had heard live as an encore performance by the band during their concert at the Symphony Center in Chicago in March 2003. One song in that suite, "Free for All", is a standard that I have always enjoyed from the quintet's live sets. Dave plays a great 2.5 minute intro on this tune, which has also become a trademark of his live performances.

To me, this suite is the highlight of the disc.

The rest of the set is enjoyable as well, with particular plaudits to "Ario" and the Robin Eubanks' composition "Mental Images" (no doubt named in tribute to his own group). Overall a very solid effort from a cohesive, tight, group at the top of its game.

Can't wait to see the group perform live in early March at Lafayette College in Easton, Pa.

Anyone else going to this show?

LWayne :party:

Edited by LWayne

Interesting that Holland left ECM -- he was one of the most veteran artists on the roster.

Guy

Did he actually leave ECM?

I don't think ECM has exclusive contracts, but yes, Holland's Quintet will be recording on his new label.

He may still do other projects for them as a co-leader (e.g., "Gateway").

It's all part of this current movement among powerful artists to own their product. What they lose is the powerful distribution and publicity that comes along with recording for an established label. Thus the lack of buzz surrounding the current CD.

I got a few tracks of it on iTunes and there are extended samples (more than most artists offer) on Dave's website at jazzcorner. (www.daveholland.com).

I was at the same show as stefan and they were really hot. the whole concept of his groups just blows you away every time compositionally, rhythmically, harmonically......amazing music and communication

cb-a

• 2 weeks later...

Heard some of the new one today at a friend's house. Liked what I heard. Sounded like it was maybe a bit better than the last one.

I liked the earlier one, but it fell short of what I was expecting (but I had really high expectations for it).

But I probably will buy the new one sometime, though -- especially if I can borrow my friend's copy, and give it a full spin first.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...