How did you get interested in Jazz?

Guest che

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also there was the coolest rendition of three blind mice, an obviously very old recording, that was totally out of this world. I still have yet to find that recording. It was very rough, with a repeating of the melody over and over again, almost in minimalist fasion, with a few soloists doing incredible things in those shorts little spaces-it was almost avant-garde. I have heard many renditions of that song over the years but nothing comes close to this version.

Could that have been:

e346963h3dn.jpg

Also to be found at: http://libweb.uoregon.edu/music/jazzb.html

Three blind mice.

PERFORMERS: Art Blakey, drums, with Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; Curtis Fuller,trombone ; Wayne Shorter, tenor saxophone ; Cedar Walton, piano; Jymie Merritt, bass. DOUGLASS COMPACT DISC CX10940 v.1+ .2

I also recall James Blood Ulmer playing with the tune on "Are You Glad to Be in America?" -- that fits your "rough" description, but not "obviously a very old recording."

as with many of you Vince Guarladi (and my addiction hasn't changed that much), the Charlie Brown shows in early 70s German TV were a starter as well as my farther owning some Swing LP's and an original LP from Dave Brubecks Impressions of Eurasia which I listened to as a kid.

My first self paid Jazz LP was Pat Metheny's white "Group" album in 1978/79 when it came out....

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

Also there was the coolest rendition of three blind mice, an obviously very old recording, that was totally out of this world. I still have yet to find that recording. It was very rough, with a repeating of the melody over and over again, almost in minimalist fasion, with a few soloists doing incredible things in those shorts little spaces-it was almost avant-garde. I have heard many renditions of that song over the years but nothing comes close to this version.

Could that have been:

e346963h3dn.jpg

Also to be found at: http://libweb.uoregon.edu/music/jazzb.html

Three blind mice.

PERFORMERS: Art Blakey, drums, with Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; Curtis Fuller,trombone ; Wayne Shorter, tenor saxophone ; Cedar Walton, piano; Jymie Merritt, bass. DOUGLASS COMPACT DISC CX10940 v.1+ .2

I also recall James Blood Ulmer playing with the tune on "Are You Glad to Be in America?" -- that fits your "rough" description, but not "obviously a very old recording."

That sounds very cool but I don't think that was it. This was a very dated recording. Sounded like a very very early recording which is why it was so interesting.

I may start another thread about this.

Jared

• 4 weeks later...

my daughter asked me why

there so few girls who do jazz

except for the voice parts?

she plays trumpet.

That is a heavy question, and it applies not only to jazz, but to music in general. Why are there so few women who are instrumentalists? Do they feel pressured to become singers? Do we, as a society, accept women who play drums, play guitar, play saxophone, the same as men?

Since I have a daughter now, and she is already very musical, I've wondered the same things. It is my goal to make sure she understands that she can play whatever instrument she wants, in whatever style she wants, and she does not have to take a back seat to any man.

My father went to Berkley in the late 50's/early 60's. Played trumpet. When I was 7 or 8, he would play some of his jazz albums and I liked the drums. That settled down and became non-existant as I listened to rock until 2001 when my wife, who has a few jazz records, kept playing her tape of A Love Supreme in the car. It's started on side 2 which starts with Jones's solo & I started to listen. We ended up going to the Newport festival because she wanted to see Dave Brubeck. That Xmas I asked for a Coltrane cd and she picked up Interstellar Space not knowing what it sounded like. I thought it was wild, but I was hooked at around the 3:40 mark of the first song; Mars. Coltrane starts playing these really fast scales & in mid-sentence, I stopped talking & was amazed. I had a visual of rain & thought it was fantastic.

Interesting note: my father would buy the Berkley albums that came out at the end of the year. They have compositions on them from the students although he wasn't on any. He gave them to me recently and I think it's 1961 has a song by Josef Zawinul. I think Quincy Jones might've been there when my father started. I remember him saying Jones was already known, but whether that was just at Berkley or outside, I don't know. My wife & I know someone who worked at one time for a public station & they had a book on Berkley's history as prizes for something. We got one & gave it to my dad. He had a blast looking through it especially during his time. He was dating my mother at the time, they got married, a year later my brother came along, so my father gave up the idea of jazz as a living & played in local general business bands & the army band when he was drafted. Got out right before Vietnam escalated & they stopped letting people out in 1964.

On another note; Che, I grew up in Rochdale, Massachusetts, which is part of the town of Leicester, which is next to Worcester. Neat, eh?

Another ironic note: My father has the same name as a famous jazz photographer: Bob Parent.

Edited by dave9199

my daughter asked me why

there so few girls who do jazz

except for the voice parts?

she plays trumpet.

My daughter says to me often "How can you listen to music where there is no singing". As for my two boys, well they just laugh and remind me that noone listens to jazz.

Che.