Gene Ammons

Soul Stream

Maybe it's just me.... But with all the talk over the years of Coltrane's spiritual music making, and Miles' deepness, ect.... I must say the person who almost comes across more than anybody as a "spiritual" player is Gene Ammons.

When Gene Ammons blows "My Way," that's about as close to pure humanity as it gets... played with as much conviction as either Love Supreme or Spiritual Unity.

It seems Ammons was never marketed this way. He was always a barroom Big Tenor in the recording world, never given the "serious" recording contract that Impulse or Atlantic or Columbia could have afforded him. Too bad, there's nobody more serious in my book that Gene Ammons.

To me, nobody does it better than Gene Ammons. He stood flat-footed on the stage and blew his heart out every time it seems.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you completely about Ammons' deeply spiritual qualities.

Ironically, the one attempt to market Gene Ammons as (literally) a spiritual player was (as least in my view) a relative artistic failure: "Preachin' "

Jug was one of a kind. I can't go too long without listening to something by him.

I guess I never thought much about Ammons in terms of spirituality. I just kept being overwhelmed by his huge sound. I used to do a jazz show on a local radio station here in Portland and I never remember backannouncing an Ammons' cut without referring to "the big sound of Gene Ammons." A cop from one of his Prestige dates, but right on the money. The tune that stays in my head is "Someone to Watch Over Me" which, BTW, is included in the soundtrack from the not-too-bad movie of the same name starring Tom Beringer and Mimi Rogers.

I was cruising my local Border's the other day and came across an Ammons' release on the Ocium label. It's called "My Foolish Heart" and brings together recordings cut for the United, Chess and Decca labels between 1950 and 1953. Supporting cast includes Sonny Stitt (suprise, surprise), J.J. Johnson, Johnny Coles and Junior Mance. I was a little concerned about the sound quality, but it's quite nice. One worth looking for if you're an Ammons afficionado.

Up over and out.

Just got my first taste of Gene Ammons the other day - have now posted him in the 'just discovering' thread!

I'm really enjoying 'Boss Tenor' - the blues lead-off is fantastic.

The liner notes (I forget by whom - LeRoi Jones, perhaps?) make a really perceptive point, in my book - that he seems to sound like the impossible middle-ground (tonewise) between Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins. Ammons, I think, doesn't need any borrowed glory, but purely descriptively, I think it's just about right!

• 1 year later...

Hustlin'

Scorin'

Ballin'

Doin' Time

Fuckin'

etc. etc. & none of those titles is meant romantically or disrespectfully...

Well, come to think of it, they don't sound too romantic, do they? :g

More seriously, I don't understand the point.

Edited by John L

Hustlin'

Scorin'

Ballin'

Doin' Time

Fuckin'

etc. etc. & none of those titles is meant romantically or disrespectfully...

Well, come to think of it, they don't sound too romantic, do they? :g

More seriously, I don't understand the point.

You're not alone. Favorites: dates with Sonny.

"next time i'll type it up in braille, maybe ya'll will have a better chance at "getting it."

Thanks. I would appreciate that.

"meanwhile, tell me when the "spiritual" trope in jazz marketing/fandom was invented."

I don't know what this refers to. Maybe you can explain it to me.

"meanwhile, tell me where Jug was for, uh, much of the 1960s."

You are referring to his stay in prison, I presume? What implications you are drawing from that? The fact is, Jug got a bad rap. As a drug user (not dealer), they tried to make an example of him to scare others. As far as I am concerned, he was guilty of no crime at all.

meanwhile, tell me what "spiritual" means to you.

To me, "spiritual" refers to those elements of humanity and our existence that are too deep for us to comprehend in a usual conscious manner.

meanwhile, tell me what "spiritual" meant to Gene Ammons.

I don't know. Do you?

for what it's worth (not a WHOLE lot on the open, ya' know, "market") i have a solid education in african-american history, if not Gene's biography in particular, so ya'll are welcome to spill in as much detail you have-- no background checks required HERE, bruthas & sistahs.

That is to say that an education in African-American history is enough to understand Gene Ammons without even knowing his biography?

meanwhile, terrestial clem loves Gene Ammons, man of the flesh, desire; man of the STREETS!!

It seems to me that you are the one who is drumming up some sort of romantic image of Gene Ammons in your own mind. Maybe you should get a job in that "marketing/fandom industry" that you describe earlier. After all, "black man of the streets" sells a lot better these days in white suberbia than spirituality.

Edited by John L

i think it depends on your definition of spiritual. a love supreme was coltrane's "gift to god." as such, it fits neatly within the narrow definition that something "concerned with sacred matters or religion or the church" is spiritual. i don't know if any of jugs's work was so explicitly spiritual in this sense. personally, it doesn't matter to me, because ammons was one of the most soulful tenor players i've ever heard, and that means a lot in my book.

• 3 weeks later...