Album of the Week June 15-21st

Dan Gould

Lou Donaldson - Signifyin' (click here to buy)

0000110458_170.jpg

First, I'd like to say that this "different" AOTW went very well, from my perspective, and I hope we can do it again or that someone else will step up with a similar arrangement.

I'll start my review first with a few comments and questions regarding LD's Argo/Cadet years.

In my opinion, his output for Argo is uniformly excellent and it is very unfortunate that Universal is sitting on this material. Possum Head, Cole Slaw, Blowing In The Wind, Musty Rusty, At His Best, Rough House Blues are all fine albums, and they document an important period in LD's career, as they span the period between his last Blue Note LP, Natural Soul in 1963 and his return in 1967 for the Sweet Slumber and Mr. Shing a ling sessions.

Since these dates include both piano and organ accompaniment, (with long-time LD accompanist Herman Foster) they fit stylistically in with the final recordings of his first Blue Note run, whereas upon his return to Blue Note he began to get more and more into the funk and also to cover more current pop tunes like "Ode to Billy Joe" and "Say it Loud", obviously with an eye toward getting hits.

One question I have always had is what led to LD's departure from Blue Note. Was there a falling out with Alfred or did Argo offer more money or what?

OK, having set his Argo years in some perspective, on to Signifyin'.

As soon as the laser brings the first track to life, you know exactly what you are going to get:

A PAR-TAY!

With its simple but effective repeated phrase that instantly gets your foot tapping and your head bobbing, "Signifyin" starts the festivities off perfectly. This is good time, happy jazz, the kind that LD has done very well for a long time. The sole ballad is "Time After Time" which features Lou only and is done in a short yet effective performance, but then its right back to the party, with a tune with the "Spanish Tinge" that sticks in my mind the most, "Si Si Safronia"-its got that melodic and rhythmic hook that just doesn't let go.

The second side kicks off with a bright-tempoed performance of "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," with Lou's sweet tone stating the classic Ellington melody, and then its back to the originals, with "I Feel it in my Bones" and then "Coppin a Plea" wrapping up the party in a happy uptempo groove.

Signifyin' started things off in a fine way for LD's Argo period. Nevertheless, it is not my favorite. That would probably be Musty Rusty which features Grant Green or At His Best which features what may be Lou's first recorded vocal, on a tune he's performed regularly since, "Wig Blues". I selected Signifyin' because I suspected that the presence of Tommy Turrentine and Big John Patton would appeal to a lot of people here.

Edited by Jim Alfredson

I just heard this album for the first time yesterday and I was impressed. I hadn't heard any of his Argo recordings before. All I can say is, if Dan likes the other two Argo's better, they must be really good.

Unfortunately, I don't have the cd with me right now, so I can't tell you his name, but I dig the guitarist on the session. I realize he isn't Grant Green, but I dig his style, it's really funky. So far, my favorite track is Signifyin', but I need to listen a few more times before I say more.

Thanks Dan!

:rsmile:

Thanks for the name, Dan!

I've never seen him anywhere else either, but added some tasty stuff. His tone is different than what I'm used to hearing. I almost wonder if he was playing a Fender. His execution wasn't perfect, but it was good.

I find that I've really come to like LD's early sixties recordings quite a bit. I just wish Big John had more room to stretch out.

Dan, I would agree that Signifyin' is not my favorite Argo LP of his. Mine too, is "Musty Rusty" with the always wonderful Billy Gardner on organ. A great, but very hard to find LP.

I enjoy's Lou's Argo stuff well enough. It stays in the same vein as his Blue Note stuff from the period, but with much less attention to detail and sound quality. Thusly, the Argos suffer imho. Matter of fact, Signifyin' well may be a warmed over "Good Gracious" with many of the songs sounding very, very similar (an old Sonny Stitt trick). Also the guitarist on "Signifyin'" is really underwhelming. Especially when you're used to the same players...tommy t., lou d., ben dixon, patton (the natural soul crew) but minus Grant Green. I think this is one of the reasons "Signifyin'" pales so in comparison to the Blue Notes, no Grant...and no Alfred Lion, Francis Wolff or Rudy Van Gelder.

Also, this is the first session Big John Patton played on after being shot in the back point blank by his then wife. He played this session within a few months and I think his chops are a bit down due to the injury.

I haven't had time to really listen to this session recently, so I'll save any further comments until then. :D

Also, this is the first session Big John Patton played on after being shot in the back point blank by his then wife. He played this session within a few months and I think his chops are a bit down due to the injury.

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!! I never knew he was shot in the back!! That's horrible! When and why did that happen?

I forgot I had this on CD, so I'm listening to it now. I'd love to hear Musty Rusty especially since it has the underrated Billy Gardner on organ. I love his organ playing!

I remember why I don't listen to this CD much now that I've gotten to the guitar solo.

But damn, Patton is a funky mutha.

Oh, and this thread already has 6 replies. That's almost half of what mine has and it's only been up a couple hours.

:angry:

I might have to ban you all.

:)

Sorry Jim, I can't afford to keep up on Criss Cross releases. :(

I agree the guitarist on this session isn't great, he's not on the same level as Grant Green, but he doesn't ruin the session for me at all. I actually like some of his ideas, his execution isn't perfect, but LD must have dug something about him to have him on this session.

Maybe we should nominate Dan again so we can have Musty Rusty as album of the week. I've got to hear that!

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!! I never knew he was shot in the back!! That's horrible! When and why did that happen?

In 1962 Patton went to sleep early on an off night from gigging after being kept up for 3 days straight arguing with his 1st wife, Mary Louis (she thought he was cheating. he told me he wasn't). He was sleeping on his stomach when Mary Louis put the barrel of a .22 rifle in his lower back and shot Patton at point blank range. The bullet became lodged in his lower back about 2 inches to the left of his spine. At first, they weren't going to take it out. But eventually they did. Mary Lois was arrested and that was the end of their 4 year marriage.

...now you know why those guys could PLAY the blues so damn good! Like Parker said, if you don't live it, it won't come out of your axe.

I don't necessarily agree about the sound quality of LD's Argos. At least on my system, I have not noticed any serious deficiencies. In my opinion, his best Argos-like Musty Rusty and At His Best (which was a Cadet actually)-stack up very well to his best Blue Notes.

In 1962 Patton went to sleep early on an off night from gigging after being kept up for 3 days straight arguing with his 1st wife, Mary Louis (she thought he was cheating. he told me he wasn't). He was sleeping on his stomach when Mary Louis put the barrel of a .22 rifle in his lower back and shot Patton at point blank range. The bullet became lodged in his lower back about 2 inches to the left of his spine. At first, they weren't going to take it out. But eventually they did. Mary Lois was arrested and that was the end of their 4 year marriage.

...now you know why those guys could PLAY the blues so damn good! Like Parker said, if you don't live it, it won't come out of your axe.

Man, that is some fucked up shit. Thank God he survived. I mean, 1962?!? Think of all the brilliant music we wouldn't have if he had died then! Basically his entire solo output for Blue Note, not to mention all the sideman dates!

The guitarist is Roy Montrell. Have no idea what else he might have been on.

I don't have the L.D. record, so I can't comment on that, but here's some info on Roy Montrell, courtesy of Ray Topping's liner notes for Crescent City Bounce (Ace 181):

"Montrell was born in New Orleans on Feb 27 1928 and was orphaned at the age of 6. Most of his early years were spent in an orphanage where he learned to play guitar under the tutelage of guitarists Ernest McLean and Edgar Blanchard. Montrell spent his early life absorbing the New Orleans rhythms. Subsequent army service cut off his career in music, but when he was discharged in 1951 in Houston, he joined the Roy Milton band as their guitarist and appeared on several of their later Specialty recordings.

After a few years on the road, Montrell returned to New Orleans, where he formed his own band, the Little Hawketts, with Lawrence Gate (bass) and Victor Leonard (drums). Holding down a regular spot at the Mardi Gras lounge on Bourban Street, Montrell recalls, 'I did everything in that band - sing, play the kazoo, everything to keep the job.' Later Montrell joined Lloyd Price's band and went on the road again. Montrell was a gifted rhythm guitarist and often appeared with Edgar Blanchard on lead guitar on dozens of sessions at the Cosimo studio, including dates with Little Richard, Ernie K-Doe, Larry Williams, Art Neville and many others. During the mid-fifties, Montrell also cut a number of sides under his own name, including the terrific 'Every Time I Hear that Mellow Saxophone' (Specialty 583). The number was later revived by Dr. John as 'I Wanna Rock' on his United Artist album Hollywood Be Thy Name.

In the early 60's, Montrell did much session work for Minit Records and he soon joined Harold Battiste in the formation of the ill-fated A.F.O. concern which scored with Barbara George on 'I Know' in 1962.

When Fats Domino's guitarist, Walter 'Papoose' Nelson, died, Roy Montrell was asked to fill in temporarily, but ended up staying full time as leader of the Domino Band. He died in Amsterdam on May 16th 1979 while on a tour of Europe."

Oh dear! I dug my Signifyin' out and find my European issue is a compilation with twelve tracks taken from Signifyin', Possum Head, Cole Slaw, Rough House Blues, Musty Rusty and Blowing In The Wind. Although it hasn't much to do with the AOTW thread it's a very nice cd. No creativity but the blues licks are recycled nicely by a bunch of guys who know what they are doing. This cd would make a nice introduction to LD.

This is a nice album. Just a good time feel, and a nicely played batch of songs with swing and feeling.

"Don't Get Around Much Anymore" is always a treat, and I like this one; Tommy and Lou are just putting the tune out there, with a light bounce. Both horns have such great SOUND on this lp. And the rhythm section is good, I like their interpretation of the souljazzy beat of the time.

Not something everyone has to have, but it sure would be nice to see this and the other other Argos by Lou in a nice little package, a small box set. . . <_<

Yes, this is a nice little album. I agree with the comment that it reminds me of Good Gracious!, yet in a good way: nothing spectacular, just lots of good vibes and greeeeaze; nobody pours it on like LD & Co. :g

Like Dan said, this is a wonderful PARTY record, but I kinda wonder about putting a ballad as the second track--maybe to give everyone a chance to cool down after shakin' so much during the first track! :D

I had to listen to "Don't Get Around..." a few times, but around the third or fourth listen, that groove just locked me in and it was sweet swingin' all the way home!

Don't ya love it how the record ends with "Coppin' a Plea?" Makes you wanna jump up and start the record over again!

I wonder why they didn't get Grant Green on this session. Not a knock against Roy Montrell (although he does try to cop a Green lick during "Signifyin'", although maybe it was more in tribute than anything else); it's just that Green's thick, fat, juicy tone always squeezed more greeeaze outta the proceedings!

Ah, another great choice! :tup

I've spun this one a couple of times this week. The CD I have this session on is called "Midnight Soul" and it's a gold CD issued on the French Vogue label in 1992. The other session on the disc is Lou's "Possum Head". In listening to this CD again, I was once again reminded that "gold CD" does not equal "good sounding CD". :) Sometimes, it sounds the band is playing underwater. Crappy sound quality for sure. Since I have several Argo CDs that sound fine, I have to think it's this CD and not the master tape.

As for the "Signifying" session, it's OK. I wouldn't rank it ahead of any of Lou's Blue Note dates. Good boppish soul Jazz. Is it me, or does anyone else think "I Dream of Jeannie" when "Si Si Safronia" starts? :D Montrell might not be well known, but he plays very good here. Quite frankly, I prefer his playing to Grant Green's. Grant's tendency to get stuck on his pet triplet could and has driven me crazy.

Later,

Kevin

I've spun this maybe five times since getting it and dig the soulful vibe that's present throughout. Dan's description of this album being party music is fairly correct, IMO. I wouldn't rank it ahead of THE NATURAL SOUL, that title being the only other Donaldson album in my collection, but it has some fine moments by all involved.

I tend to like Turrentine's playing slightly more on this Argo date, than in other settings that I've heard, but still I'm not a big fan of his playing. He comes from the "Navarro-inspired" line of trumpeters and I like most of those guys a lot (Lee, Clifford, etc.), but I just don't dig Tommy as much for some reason (at least not now anyway; things could, and probably will, change).

I would've liked to have seen Green in the rhythm section as well, but it's interesting to see another guitarist in the mix, and I like Montrell's playing here.

A nice blowing date, albeit slightly short time-wise, with some fine soloing and good toe-tappin, finger snappin' tunes that aren't too heavy (although the grooves certainly are).

I'd also like to thank Dan for taking the initiative to "do something a little different", for the AOTW.

• 2 months later...

Well obviously I'm WAY behind on many AotW entries...just took the plunge on the 24-bit Japanese paper sleeve edition of SIGNIFYIN' yesterday at my local Tower (one of the few imports in the entire jazz section, sadly). Funny, I had passed on this one many times because I hadn't read this discussion, and on picking it up at the store to look at the lineup, the OBI covered up most of the personnel. All I could see was Donaldson, Ben Dixon, the guitarist, and "Tommy." Couldn't even see that there was an organist! So finally yesterday it dawned on me that this was from the Dixon/Patton era, and that "Tommy" was probably Turrentine. A quick beeline to the cash register later, and it was mine. THEN I remembered it had been an AotW, and that gets us all current...

Highly enjoyable stuff. I've been having to "train" my ear to NOT expect to hear Grant Green in the guitarist role, but actually I enjoy this guy's playing more than a litte. It ain't very fluid or legit from a jazz perspective, but coming from an R&B bag he's not bad, and more creative than many. Patton and Dixon are FIRMLY in the pocket (and on this remastering I have to say that the original recording was mighty fine, especially the detail captured on Dixon's drum kit), and Donaldson has that sweet singing tone going. Turrentine has frankly played better - I agree with some of the criticisms, he fluffs more than a few times and sounds tentative. Bad health? Bad decisions? Bad karma? Or just a bad day? Whatever. Not unlistenable by any means, but he's much stronger on NATURAL SOUL.

This sits quite nicely alongside the BNs of the era and with MUSTY RUSTY (which I received as a CD-R some time ago) as far as I'm concerned; another great soul jazz workout.

• 4 years later...

Resurrected form the past.

Just got this one. A really enjoyable session, with a good choice of tunes and tempos, but it can hardly fail with this lineup. My first encounter with Montrell as far as I know, sounds good to me here.

Edited by JohnS

Resurrected form the past.

Just got this one. A really enjoyable session, with a good choice of tunes and tempos, but it can hardly fail with this lineup. My first encounter with Montrell as far as I know, sounds good to me here.

I don't know much about Montrell, either. He made an R&B single for Specialty in the fifties.

MG