Your rarest possession in your music collection.

Hardbopjazz

What would you consider the most extraordinary piece of music in your wads of albums, CD's, and tapes? Something that you're sure almost no one else knows about.

I stumbled across this person who followed around jazz artists in the 60’s and 70’s. He befriended just about all he told me about. They even let him record the shows. He has a stash of private recordings; in fact he gave me copies of some, which he had to have transferred from tape because they started to deteriorate. I have a Sonny Stitt one that just blows me away. I listen to that at least once a week. The music is brilliant despite the sound dropouts from its age.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An LP: Eric Dolphy Plays the Best of the Kinks :rolleyes:

Seriously however, with so many collectors on this site, I hesitate to say I have the only one of anything although I do have many rare concerts on open reel tape (a few of which may be unplayable by now, I hesitate to find out).

Well, without equating rarity (or is rareness?) to monetary value, I do have a few Dial and Guild 78s of Bird, Diz, Dexter, etc. Have never played them, don't even have the capacity to play 78s at this point.

Well, I do have some tapes I made of two August 1998 concerts at the Stanford Jazz Workshop. The first show, I think, was Joe Lovano/Cedar Walton/Rufus Reid/Billy Higgins/Tootie Heath (yes, two drummers, with Harvey Weinapel guesting on alto) and the second was Jackie McLean/Walton/Reid/Higgins. However, I recorded them to some shitty Memorex 120 minute cassettes on a portable walkman, so I'm sure the sound is absolutely atrocious, if even audible.

Edited by Big Wheel

Since I DON'T have a Beatles "butcher cover", I'll have to go with (based on monetary value alone - last sold on ebay for over $400) the Larry Young Mosaic CD set. (not that it's THAT rare, really).

I also have all the George Duke MPS albums (discussed somewhere recently).

Since I DON'T have a Beatles "butcher cover", I'll have to go with (based on monetary value alone - last sold on ebay for over $400) the Larry Young Mosaic CD set. (not that it's THAT rare, really).

I also have all the George Duke MPS albums (discussed somewhere recently).

That one sold for $400? Wow, I have 3, I should sell 2 of them. :)

well there is that old Buddy Bolden album . . . . :w

:g

I'd bid you for it but I'm not very keen... I've already got one, you see... izz vehry nice!!

1037956530_ench-guard.jpg

:lol::lol:

Tip: The gals in the Castle Anthrax say they've got the Buddy Bolden cylinder, but it's really a trap. A wonderful trap, but a trap nonetheless. :wub:

well there is that old Buddy Bolden album . . . . :w

:g

I'd bid you for it but I'm not very keen... I've already got one, you see... izz vehry nice!!

1037956530_ench-guard.jpg

:lol::lol:

Tip: The gals in the Castle Anthrax say they've got the Buddy Bolden cylinder, but it's really a trap. A wonderful trap, but a trap nonetheless. :wub:

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/grail/cut.au

Offhand I guess I'd say Dolphy's Uppsala Concert v. 1 and 2 on CD. Not that rare, I suppose.

I've also got something called Earth Prayer by Russell Baba with Andrew Hill on piano. I think it is only available by ordering directly through Mr. Baba.

And some CDR that Vandermark sells at his concerts.

Offhand I guess I'd say Dolphy's Uppsala Concert v. 1 and 2 on CD. Not that rare, I suppose.

I've also got something called Earth Prayer by Russell Baba with Andrew Hill on piano. I think it is only available by ordering directly through Mr. Baba.

And some CDR that Vandermark sells at his concerts.

Hey, I too have those Uppsala volumes on CD. My biggest kick was showing them to Vladimir Simosko, an old friend who was visiting us, who wrote a biography of Dolphy over 30 years ago. He practically began to salivate since at the time, circa '91 or so, he had no idea they existed. I made him cassette copies. I assume at this point he either copped them or has 'em on CD-R.