The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Note autographed photo of Robert Fripp on the wall.

Are you kidding about the autograph? How did you get him to do it? Did he lecture you first? You should have taken his picture just as he handed it back to you!

I could pull your leg and tell you we go back a long ways...

...but the real story is: Fripp played a string of nights at Washington Sq. Church, NYC a few years ago with Trey Gunn and the California Guitar Trio. He had them on sale for $10 a piece.

I have talked to him a few times, at the World Financial Center at cd signings or after a concert.

I own an original CD release of Discipline with his autograph on it.

Did he lecture me first? Nah, but he has evaded questioning about if Bruford was going to be the drummer in the reformed '90s Crimson. The next night, he made fun of my NJ accent while the Trey and the Calif. Gtr Trio laughed.

I wouldn't know what to do if I ever had a chance to talk to him. I'd be afraid of the withering lectures he'd go off on if I asked him for an autograph or about future Crimson plans. I'm happy just to keep buying collector's club CDs off his website, and to read his usually funny and mostly interesting diaries.

From what I understand, Adrian Belew is much more approachable anyway

Did you end up selling your Epiphone LP?

Not yet, I'm going to wait and see how the new Cort works out. It may replace the Les Paul, the Broadway, both or neither. I'll just have to see.

If it can get all Angus Young on me then the Paul is gone. If it has a good jazz tone I may get rid of the Broadway, even though it's playing better, simply because the Cort will probably be more comfortable to play.

I just won an Ebay auction for the PRS SE soapbar model. Luckily, I didn't meet the reserve so I don't have two guitars in the works.

It sure is dangerous (and expensive) to talk about guitars. I'm glad you didn't get stuck with two guitars.

I hope that Cort is everything you want it to be. I was checking them out online and I really like them.

I wouldn't know what to do if I ever had a chance to talk to him. I'd be afraid of the withering lectures he'd go off on if I asked him for an autograph or about future Crimson plans. I'm happy just to keep buying collector's club CDs off his website, and to read his usually funny and mostly interesting diaries.

From what I understand, Adrian Belew is much more approachable anyway

I saw KC in Germany on the Power to Believe tour, and met Belew, Gunn, & Mastellotto after the show, shook their hands, got their autographs etc. They were all very friendly and approachable. They all signed my PtB cd booklet, and Adrian also signed my Discipline. Fripp was nowhere to be seen, as expected.

Do you have a scan of the Fripp autograph, 7/4?

I hate when that happens...

Same here. If I wasn't broke, I'd be all over that. :D

I can hold back, I really dig that Epiphone.

Still thinkin' 'bout a G&L ASAT.

Was looking at Hamer gtrs last week. Great solution for the Gibson's-are-expensive problem.

I can hold back, I really dig that Epiphone.

Still thinkin' 'bout a G&L ASAT.

Was looking at Hamer gtrs last week. Great solution for the Gibson's-are-expensive problem.

Hamers do have a great reputation. I've never tried one, though.

It's really sad about Gibson's prices and quality control. They're having a field day ripping on Gibson at the Harmony-Central forum about poor Gibson quality. I don't know if I'd even buy one, with all their corporate shenanigans and quality control issues.

I'm glad you're diggin' your Epiphone. :tup

Talk about G&L lust. Those guitars are so freakin' addictive. I have five now I'd love to have more. For me, Telecasters and ASAT's are the perfect guitar.

Doing research on G&L Legacy ASATs. I didn't realise how cheap these things are.

You can still find some good deals on used G&L's, but it's getting harder. It seems like the secret is out... :ph34r:

You should also check the guitarsbyleo message board. I know there's deals sometimes in their classifieds.

guitarsbyleo.com marketplace

Doing research on G&L Legacy ASATs. I didn't realise how cheap these things are.

You can still find some good deals on used G&L's, but it's getting harder. It seems like the secret is out... :ph34r:

You should also check the guitarsbyleo message board. I know there's deals sometimes in their classifieds.

guitarsbyleo.com marketplace

I know about that site, I'm looking at Harmony Central now.

Used is the way I want to go.

I just noticed that a Mom & Pop music store is carrying G&Ls. And those MUST be Leagacys, unless someone there decide to take the serious leap into guitar sales.

AB, how do you feel about ASAT/Teles with an F hole?

I know about that site, I'm looking at Harmony Central now.

Used is the way I want to go.

I just noticed that a Mom & Pop music store is carrying G&Ls. And those MUST be Leagacys, unless someone there decide to take the serious leap into guitar sales.

I like the ASATs with F-holes. Last fall, I traded for a ASAT Classic semi-hollow with f-hole. The guitar is really nice. It's a lively guitar. I haven't tried it at high volume, so I don't know how it will do with feedback.

I believe the list price is only $100 different for the Legacy and the S-500. I'd say just make sure you're not buying one of the imported G&L Tribute models. Get pictures if you can, before you buy.

My G&Ls:

ASAT Classic Signature (1991)

ASAT Classic Semi-hollowbody

ASAT Z2

Comanche

S-500

I like the ASATs with F-holes. Last fall, I traded for a ASAT Classic semi-hollow with f-hole. The guitar is really nice. It's a lively guitar. I haven't tried it at high volume, so I don't know how it will do with feedback.

I tried a G&L Blues Boy a few years ago and could have gotten a wholesale price on it.

Dumb move too.

I believe the list price is only $100 different for the Legacy and the S-500. I'd say just make sure you're not buying one of the imported G&L Tribute models. Get pictures if you can, before you buy.

I'll buy it locally.

So you don't think the Korean Legacys compare with the American ones?

I tried a G&L Blues Boy a few years ago and could have gotten a wholesale price on it.

Dumb move too.

Doh!

Buffalo Bros prices seem to be about 62% of list price. They usually have a decent selection.