The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think I should fell bad about it unless I sell it for a profit. Right?  :blink:

He agreed to it. I wouldn't feel bad. :D

I give friends really good deals anyway. Heck, I've given more guitars away than most people will ever own. I'm sure he was happy that you got the bass.

He was and I've given away a few myself. WTF...

I've given more guitars away than most people will ever own.

Put me on your list.

By the way, the Cort M800 arrived today!

It is a nice piece. The finish is beautiful. Some of the hardware seems a little "light." Specifically the tuners and tailpiece. The pickups seem decent but I'll probably drop my Golden Age pickups in it this weekend which could be a challenge because there is no rear access. I guess I'll be working through F holes!

The action needs a little tweak and maybe even a turn of the truss rod but the neck feels good.

Straight out of the box it's a good playing guitar. It's light and well balanced. I think after a few minor adjustments this is going to be an excellent playing and sounding guitar. It will likely replace my Les Paul and my Broadway BOTH and be my main axe!

If anyone's lookng for this style guitar I highly recommend scraping together your nickels and getting the one on Ebay with the Buy It Now of only $400!

Edited by scottb

:lol:

So where's the picture of the Jazz Bass? :P

Ok, let me get it together...

These shots don't look too good, so I'll try other later.

Nothing special looking, it's candy apple red. year = 96.

I don't think I should fell bad about it unless I sell it for a profit. Right?  :blink:

I give friends really good deals anyway. Heck, I've given more guitars away than most people will ever own. I'm sure he was happy that you got the bass.

Okay, to be fair, if either of you decide to give another away, it's gotta go in "Pay It Forward".

I'll be monitoring that VERRRY closely... :P

Okay, to be fair, if either of you decide to give another away, it's gotta go in "Pay It Forward".

I'll be monitoring that VERRRY closely... :P

:lol::lol:

I'm pretty happy with what I have now, so I'm probably going to be keeping them... but if I get a crazy thought someday, I'll remember you. :D

I've given more guitars away than most people will ever own.

Put me on your list.

By the way, the Cort M800 arrived today!

It is a nice piece. The finish is beautiful. Some of the hardware seems a little "light." Specifically the tuners and tailpiece. The pickups seem decent but I'll probably drop my Golden Age pickups in it this weekend which could be a challenge because there is no rear access. I guess I'll be working through F holes!

The action needs a little tweak and maybe even a turn of the truss rod but the neck feels good.

Straight out of the box it's a good playing guitar. It's light and well balanced. I think after a few minor adjustments this is going to be an excellent playing and sounding guitar. It will likely replace my Les Paul and my Broadway BOTH and be my main axe!

If anyone's lookng for this style guitar I highly recommend scraping together your nickels and getting the one on Ebay with the Buy It Now of only $400!

Congrats, Scott! :tup

I'm glad you like your new guitar. I hope we'll see pictures soon.

Heck, I gotsta be taking some pictures myself... :D

Well, that didn't take me long...

String are off, bridge and tailpiece off, pickups out, pots hanging out of F holes.

I just can't leave a new guitar alone!

Tonight I'm prepping for the real setup tomorrow

(my wife and kids are going to grandmas for the weekend (any better time to get a new guitar?))

Refinish in seafoam green burst (just checking to see if you are paying attention :D - I don't do finishes)

Install pickups

New strings

Set action

Adjust truss rod

Set intonation

My secret to getting a new guitar to play well... set it up per recs for a Fender strat regardless what type of guitar it is. Then tweak it from there.

Getting the most out of a guitar is half the fun for me. I think I would really enjoy being a luthier.

Anyone do any soldering? I bet Alfredson does on his B3.

My connections are UGLY. I should post a pic of some my poor pots. There is like a little mini reproduction of the rocky mtns on some of them. :D Once I saw a likeness of the Virgin Mary! Upside down it was the bust of Elvis! :D

How do yours look?

Scott,

Soldering is an easy, but often misunderstood thing. If your solder joints are "ugly", they could lead to problems.

My soldering tips:

- Buy a nice soldering iron with detachable tips. 25watts should be fine.

- Let the iron heat up completely before using.

- Keep the tip clean by using a wet sponge to wipe away solder residue.

- Before turning the iron off, melt a decent amount of solder on it and do not wipe it off. This protects the tip from oxidization and makes them last longer.

- Before soldering any two things together, tin them first. This means you melt a little bit of solder on each wire before joining them together.

So for instance, if you're soldering a wire to a pot, strip the wire, hold it to the tip of the soldering iron, and then put some solder on the wire until it flows nicely. Do the same to the lug on the pot. Hold the iron to it and put a little solder on it until it flows. Not too much, and don't hold the iron there too long or else it could cause some damage.

Now, when it comes time to attach the wire to the lug, they will solder together with hardly any heat from the soldering iron.

Wipe the tip, put a little solder on the tip, and start your next connection in the same way.

:tup

Jim, I usually do all those things except for the wet sponge, which I will try. I usually wipe it off on a piece of newspaper which I usually use as a protective drop (got that from my dad now that I think about it.)

I have a soldering "gun." When you pull the trigger it heats up pretty rapidly. I like it because in tight spots you can make sure you're clear of everything before it gets hot instead of burning another wire's insulation etc. Guitar guts can be pretty tight spaces.

The "ugly" ones are usually the ground to the back of the pot. Pickups especially seem to have ground wires that are difficult to tin for some reason (I'm not sure what they are made of) and then the pot surface is nearly impossible to tin. You're supposed to use some kind of grease which I don't have, so I have to mooch off another connection that's already there and THATS when things get UGLY! :g

Also, what kind of solder do you use. I was having crappy results until my dad hooked me up with some solder with lead in it.

That lead free stuff is for the birds! I don't think I do enough work for it to be a health concern.

I have been told to ALWAYS use a quality solder designed for electronics; a 60/40 multi core rosin type is what has been recommended to me.

Sheesh! I thought getting back into the guitar meant just working on chords and picking and sight reading again, but from the way you guys talk it sounds like I better start working on my soldering technique. :blink:

Not really. I can barely solder, myself.

Most of my guitars are stock, but there is a whole subculture of people who love to modify their guitars.

One of my favorite sites is: http://www.telemodders.com/

That site isn't that active now, but I love the whole idea behind it, and I love looking at the modified Telecasters.

If any of you guys are into refinishing guitars, here's a great site for supplies and knowledge. They also have a link on their page to their forum.

http://reranch.august.net/

Speaking of modifying and refinishing and soldering guitars, this is what the FedEx tracking site currently says about the Agile Cool Cat I ordered from Rondo Music thanks to Jeff :tup  :tup  :tup :  "On FedEx vehicle for delivery."  :excited:

I really hope you like it, Ron!

:tup

Well, if I don't, there's a certain pugnacious feline Trekkie in the Sacramento vicinity who's going to have a slightly used Korean jazz box to do his business in (it's gonna take his owner a long time to get the litter in and out of those "F" holes).