HANK JONES RULES

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

HANK REALLY FORGOT A LOT OF STUFF, LIKE SONG TITLES, EVEN KEYS TO SONGS (EVEN CONFIRMATION)--- BUT AS SOON AS HE WOULD START PLAYING HE SOUNDED LIKE HE DID IN 1955-- HE WAS GREAT!!!!!! IT JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU EVEN WHEN THE MIND STARTS GOIN THE MUSIC REMAINS BECAUSE THERES SOME DEEPER CONNECTION WITH THAT. HANK PLAYED SOME SONGS W/ THE TRIO BEFORE BRINGING UP THIS WOMAN SINGER WHO DID SINATRA STUFF

Guest ariceffron

NO HANK STILL HAS IT--- I DUNO WHO HIS BAND WAS. A MEXICAN BASS GUY AND THE FUNNIEST WHITE DRUMMER IVE EVER SEEN- HE WAS THIS FAT DUDE-- HE LOOKED LIKE HE ONLY COULD BE FROM THE SOUTH. HE HAD LIKE A BAND AROUND HIS GLASSES TO KEEP THEM FROM FALLING OFF HIS BIG FAT HEAD.

Yeah--he's still pretty good! I made a special effort to attend one of his performances last June at NY City's Iridium, with group leader Joe Lovano, George Mraz, and Paul Motian, even though I find Lovano's choice of material to be frequently dull. It was worth it to see Jones. Too bad that Elvin couldn't be here, too. (I was lucky enough to see him & his Drum Machine band about four years ago--you talk about an older guy who was still near the top of his game!)

NO HANK STILL HAS IT--- I DUNO WHO HIS BAND WAS. A MEXICAN BASS GUY AND THE FUNNIEST WHITE DRUMMER IVE EVER SEEN- HE WAS THIS FAT DUDE-- HE LOOKED LIKE HE ONLY COULD BE FROM THE SOUTH. HE HAD LIKE A BAND AROUND HIS GLASSES TO KEEP THEM FROM FALLING OFF HIS BIG FAT HEAD.

That was really supremely helpful in identifying the personnell ..while managing to diss at lease two minorities in the process ..

( i.e. : latinos, fat people, and southern stereotypes )

and not a word about how well they did their gig .. :tdown:tdown:tdown

Interesting character. Where would the boards be without ARIC. Seriously, I dont know the guy, but he brings such life to the forum. lol, dont understand the caps lock,. He takes all the criticism. Never seen him blow up or respond to any of it, ever.

Edited by Jazz Kat

Guest ariceffron

ACTUALLY JAZZ-KAT I BLOW UP AND RESPOND W/ MODERATE FREQUENCY-- ILL KEEP U BETTER POSTED NEXT TIME!

DURING THE SHOW HANK PONDERED THE AGE-OLD QUESTION, WHAT WALKED OUT WHEN "LOVE WALKED IN?"

I JUST FIGURED IT OUT::: MEANINGLESS SEX!!!!

When? Where? Who else was in the trio?

I still have no idea where or when this performance took place.

A google search leads me to believe it was this, in Seattle...

from www.jazzalley.com

Hank Jones Trio featuring Betsyann Faiella

March 10-13, 2005

$19.50 - $21.50

The Pacific Jazz Institute at Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley presents legendary pianist Hank Jones, with special guest vocalist Betsyann Faiella, with a Jazz Tribute to Sinatra. Supporting Jones is Jim DiJulio (bass) and Duffy Jackson (drums). Set times are Thursday through Saturday at 7:30pm and 9:30pm, and Sunday at 6:30pm.

hank_jones.jpg

I still don't know the "Hank Jones Rules"!

I'd guess the first is "don't color outside the lines" but I'm not sure. Now I may never know. :mellow:

1. Kids Are Pretty People

2. Beautiful music trumps everything else.

3. Except for brotherly love.

4. Lord, I Want to Be a Christian

Just based on what I've heard and read