PINK FLOYD FANS?

Jazz Kat

I listened to Floyd all the way through middle and high school.  I recently tried to revisit what used to be my favorite record of theirs (Animals) and couldn't make it through.  Too down for me! :)

But when you're in the throws of adolesence, it's good stuff!

I don't know if you're referring to the Floyd in general here, or just to Animals, but I'm 58 and still loving Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets... ;)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wall is a bizarre album to be sure. That album came out when I was 9 years old...I bought it when it came out. It then was a regular part of my existence for a few years...at the time I thought it was really "deep" and meaningful to my life. But I must admit, that going back and listening to it now doesn't really elicit the same type of response.

Mostly, it's Waters...he just annoys the living bejesus out of me. Animals seemed to be the turning point, that part of their career where Waters assumed "dictator" duties and it was never the same afterwards. Animals is a love-it-or-hate-it affair...I love it myself, but primarily for the songs Dogs & Sheep...which if I remember correctly, are the Gilmour numbers.

Back to The Wall. Basically, the only songs on that record that still sound good to me after all these years are...

Goodbye Blue Sky

Young Lust

Hey You

Is There Anybody Out There?

Comfortably Numb

Run Like Hell

The album is still a triumph of design...from the production itself, to the artwork, etc. But it's really a wanna-be epic..that no longer delivers on the promises whispered to teenage ears.

I knew there were some Atom Hearters out there somewhere!

I'm just struck by the number of times I see it written off, dismissed as pretencious...even Gilmour hates it.

It was my first Pink Floyd album...one of the first albums I had...and it still holds my attention from the first bit of Wagnerian brass murmuring to the water going down the plughole.

I like Atom Heart Mother as well. Not perfect but fun to listen to. "Fat Old Sun" is a cool song.

Guy

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to go put on THE WIZARD OF OZ.  ^_^

Has anyone else done the Echoes/2001 sync? Much better than the Wizard of Oz thing, IMHO. :tup:tup :tup

Guy

I've done the Wizard of Oz/Darkside sync, but have never heard of the Echoes/2001 sync...

Do you start the song at the beginning of the movie (as you do on Wizard of Oz)?

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to go put on THE WIZARD OF OZ.  ^_^

Has anyone else done the Echoes/2001 sync? Much better than the Wizard of Oz thing, IMHO. :tup:tup :tup

Guy

I've done the Wizard of Oz/Darkside sync, but have never heard of the Echoes/2001 sync...

Do you start the song at the beginning of the movie (as you do on Wizard of Oz)?

No... you start it exactly when the last sequence ("Jupiter and Beyond") begins. It's very cool, because the tune and the sequence are exactly the same length and each has three different (and synchronized!) sections.

Guy

Pink Floyd

Music of many adolescences for sure. I grew up in Rural Scotland and none of my family could get their heads round Pink Floyd. My elder Brother (big REO Speedwagon and Journey fan) really hated it esp. DSOTM. By the time I'd worked back ot Piper he knew I was a lost cause.

I can still go back to Meddle and DSOTM though maybe its time I looked a little further...

I think I'm the only person in the world who loves:

B000002U9W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

My favourite along with Meddle, Umma Gumma and Wish You Were Here. I enjoy the first two too, though they were a couple of years before I started listening to music so sounded a bit tinny in 1970/1 to my ears.

I enjoy DSoftheM but even at the time was disappointed by its more conventional song-based approach. I like the lengthy noodling and (especially) the breakfast cereal noises.

No, Atom Heart has always been a favorite of mine too! Very underrated IMO.

Ummagumma was probably the album that hooked me years ago. I have a soft spot in my heart for Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Groovin' with a Pict.

Lost interest after Waters bailed.

• 3 months later...

Thank God for libraries, they keep me from spending money I would’ve otherwise regretted spending. Case in point: the current remasters of Wish You Were Here and Animals. I always knew Wish was ponderous; I guess time (and the remastered sound) hasn’t really changed that opinion. But Animals (and especially “Dogs”) was a favorite all through my senior year of high school. So I listened to “Dogs” this weekend, and am now trying to figure out why I liked that song (and album) so much. “Dogs” would’ve made a great five-minute song, fade out during the guitar solo.

I guess that’s why they’re called memories and why they should stay in the past.

However, my CD of the soundtrack from the Pompeii DVD, now THAT’S some fine music!!! Probably the definitive version of each song, for me anyway!

"Wish You Were Here" is a great rock and roll album. Time hasn't diminished my enjoyment of that disc. I have always liked it more than "Dark Side of the Moon"... sacriledge, I know.

"Animals" is a different story entirely. I used to get totally stoned and listen to this album with headphones until all hours of the night. I don't get stoned any more, I really don't feel like listening with headphones and god forbid that I see "all hours of the night" unless I'm sitting on the toilet. :) I doubt I'll ever be able to get into "Animals" too much any more. I always loved the Lord's Prayer in "Sheep". He lays me down to die. He hangs from hooks in high places. :)

Later,

Kevin

Some jazz elements in Wish You Were Here.

A little, but not much. You have to figure someone was listening to "Head Hunters" before part VIII of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" was written.

I think it's interesting that this album included Rick Wright's last major contribution to the band, both as a player and composer. Some really interesting keyboard work throughout the album, and especially on "Shine On". Cocaine really killed him creatively.

Guy

Guest akanalog

i do not like rock music but it is apparent, even to me, that "dark side of the moon" is an incredible album.

i listen to a lot of live bootlegs of a bit earlier floyd from 1970-1971. i really love "atom heart mother" and some of the other songs played around that time like "careful with that axe, eugene" and "granchester meadows" and "fat old sun". the music had this sort of sad mysterious vibe i haven't found in much other music.

To take this discussion off on a tangent, in Space Is the Place John Szwed says that Pink Floyd were influenced by AMM. I've never heard AMM (though I have heard of them), so does anybody care to expand on this link, and perhaps Floyd's link to other performers of "legit" free improvisation? I'd be interested in reading more about this.

Guy

Based on the two AMM records I own, I can't see a direct connection at all. AMM made unstructured, purely improvised music (some would call it "sound art"). Even in the early Floyd stuff, which has more of a jam feel (to my ears, anyway), is very structured.

Here's one indirect connection you might be able to make: I think AMM and Pink Floyd probably had some mutual influences. I think AMM's goal was to make a spontaneous version of musique concrete. I think they heard Xenakis' tape experiments on Electro-Acoustic Music and said "How can we make improvised music on acoustic instruments that sounds like this?" At the same time, I think Pink Floyd may have gotten the idea for the brief tape experiments layered into some of their albums from the same or similar sources.

Edited by J Larsen

If only they'd tap into the vaults and find a cleaner sounding version of Careful With that Axe, Eugene than the one on Ummagumma. Great tune, bad sound. I'm sure they could release better live stuff than that live version of the Wall that came out a few years ago

yes.....I like Pink Floyd and saw their performance at Live 8; thought it was pretty good.  I grew up on this stuff as a middle-teenager.....before I discovered jazz!

Mark

Same here. But they lost me after WYWH, even more after Animals. I did like the Live 8 performance.

Based on the two AMM records I own, I can't see a direct connection at all. AMM made unstructured, purely improvised music (some would call it "sound art"). Even in the early Floyd stuff, which has more of a jam feel (to my ears, anyway), is very structured.

What about the wilder parts of "A Saucerful of Secrets"?

Guy