PINK FLOYD FANS?

Jazz Kat

Never heard that one, but I think Broken China is a very good album. And one hell of an album cover, without question!

Perhaps even Guy and myself would agree on that one. :(

Broken China isn't bad! Though I have reservations about Rick Wright's vocals from this period.

I listened to TFC again and you're right, the opening sequence of the album (first 6 songs) is pretty good. Though I'd still rather listen to almost any Floyd from '70-'75...

Guy

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard that one, but I think Broken China is a very good album. And one hell of an album cover, without question!

Perhaps even Guy and myself would agree on that one. :(

Broken China isn't bad! Though I have reservations about Rick Wright's vocals from this period.

I listened to TFC again and you're right, the opening sequence of the album (first 6 songs) is pretty good. Though I'd still rather listen to almost any Floyd from '70-'75...

Guy

Well, I certainly won't argue with you there. TFC is not only an acquired taste, it's also an album you have to be in the exact mood to hear. I may break it out once every other year or so. But when I do, I thoroughly love it!

Though I'd include the 7th track as well. That acoustic guitar/piano break in the middle of it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music they ever made. Short though it is.

I'm assuming The Beatles meant absolutely nothing after Pete Best left.

I have to say this whole "Sid WAS Pink Floyd" hooey is laughable.

In your opinion. I have all of Syd's stuff with and without his backing band.

The stuff his backing band did later simply does not interest me, although the lyric "I was standing by the Nile when I saw that lady smile" is worthy of Spinal Tap.

I don't have enough time to listen to the records I like; I certainly feel no obligation at this late date to explore Pink Floyd's catalog just because I'm a Syd Barrett fan.

• 1 month later...

Pink Floyd Members Appear At Barrett Tribute

Lars Brandle, London

The surviving members of Pink Floyd took part in a tribute concert last night (May 10) to pay respects to their former frontman, Roger "Syd" Barrett.

Guitarist David Gilmour, bassist Roger Waters, drummer Nick Mason and keyboardist Rick Wright all appeared on stage at the "Syd Barrett -- Madcap's Last Laugh" gig, held at the London Barbican venue.

But it would appear the long-feuding Gilmour and Waters have yet to bury the hatchet. The pair appeared separately, the BBC reports, and were not photographed together.

Gilmour, Mason and Wright performed "Arnold Layne," the group's first hit and one of Barrett's best-known works. Waters performed a solo version of his own track, "Flickering Flame."

The concert was held to pay homage to Barrett, who died on July 7, 2006, at the age of 60, following complications from diabetes. The artist had spent the better part of the past 30 years living in seclusion in Cambridge, England, after being forced out of the band due to deteriorating mental health issues.

Other performers on the night included Blur and Gorillaz frontman Damon Albarn, the Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde and Soft Boys singer Robyn Hitchcock.

They then took part in an all-star finale of one of Barrett's best-known compositions, the psychedelic track "Bike" taken from the band's debut 1967 album, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn." Waters, however, did not join in.

The Barrett concert is part of the Barbican's Only Connect series of events, which offers a podium for unusual collaborations and cross-arts experimentation. Contemporary composer Philip Glass and punk-era artist Patti Smith will take part in a performance of piano and poetry on Oct. 19, under the Only Connect banner

Photos here:

http://www.radiosonic.it/public/news/pivot/entry.php?id=534

• 2 weeks later...

Syd Barrett was the leader of a group that happened to record one of the best psychedelic albums of the 60's. They also happened to be called (the)Pink Floyd.

But for me (and I assume many others) it didn't really "Become" Pink Floyd until Gilmour took the stage. To me, Gilmour IS Floyd. It's his voice and his guitar playing that are the signature sound of the band. Of course I'm not dis-crediting Waters, Mason or Wright for their input...it's just that Gilmour is the pulse (no pun intended).

When the group started going downhill (Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut) it was due to Waters taking too much control and not letting the rest of the group contribute. Not surprisingly, it's the Gilmour written tunes on Animals and The Wall that still sound good to me.

Roger Waters - Just Another Prick In The Wall :g

When the group started going downhill (Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut) it was due to Waters taking too much control and not letting the rest of the group contribute. Not surprisingly, it's the Gilmour written tunes on Animals and The Wall that still sound good to me.

While in general I agree with Shawn's point, let's not forget that some of the best tunes on the Wall are composed by Waters alone and that one of the worst ("Young Lust") was co-written by Gilmour.

Guy

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've heard that "Wish You Were Here" will be out on SACD sometime this year, and I eagerly await its release.

Well, its four years later and rumors about the release of Wish You Were Here in SACD format have been swirling ever since, but I've just read something that seems to suggest with some degree of credibility that it will indeed be re-issued in this format soon:

http://puresuperaudio.blogspot.com/2009/11...nniversary.html

Hopefully they'll do as good a job with this as they did with the DSOTM SACD.

Edited by Norm

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on a major PF kick the last couple of days, getting my hands on all kinds of alternate takes and live boots from the late 60s through '77 or so. I notice that on the Animals tour (and maybe earlier) fans are setting firecrackers -- seem to be as powerful as m-80s -- at the show. This sounds crazy. By the time I started I attending concerts (late 80s) this "trend" had apparently passed (thank god!).

I'm still scratching my head, though -- was this a common thing back in the 70s? What were people thinking?

On the last show of the Animals tour (July 77 in Montreal) Roger actually stops the show and gives those who are lighting these things a dressing down (which they deserve). No wonder he was getting pissed off with the audiences by this period.

They don't light fireworks at shows anymore? Happened all the time at rock shows back then.

I heard an audience recording of the only PF show I went to at MSG, NYC in July '77 and it brought back memories of fireworks going off, followed by boos. Even at the time I thought it was unusual for a Floyd show, even though it happened at all the other shows I went to.

Pink Floyd are ace!

I love Eric Prydz's mix of "One More Brick on the Wall", which he called "Proper Education".

There is an earlier mix of that by Eric, called "The Wall", which is very funky and not as well known as his big hit mix. Check it out. You can PM me for a copy if you have trouble locating it.

I've been on a major PF kick the last couple of days, getting my hands on all kinds of alternate takes and live boots from the late 60s through '77 or so. I notice that on the Animals tour (and maybe earlier) fans are setting firecrackers -- seem to be as powerful as m-80s -- at the show. This sounds crazy. By the time I started I attending concerts (late 80s) this "trend" had apparently passed (thank god!).

I'm still scratching my head, though -- was this a common thing back in the 70s? What were people thinking?

On the last show of the Animals tour (July 77 in Montreal) Roger actually stops the show and gives those who are lighting these things a dressing down (which they deserve). No wonder he was getting pissed off with the audiences by this period.

It was happening at Led Zeppelin concerts too in the mid-70s. At a number of shows you can hear Robert ask audience members (in his usual ditzy way) not to throw firecrackers. I think I have a few Who audience recordings where you can hear them being set off too.

While mostly a '70s thing, it happened at Butthole Surfers shows in the early '90s. Though a lot of stuff happened at Butthole Surfer shows...

They don't light fireworks at shows anymore? Happened all the time at rock shows back then.

I heard an audience recording of the only PF show I went to at MSG, NYC in July '77 and it brought back memories of fireworks going off, followed by boos. Even at the time I thought it was unusual for a Floyd show, even though it happened at all the other shows I went to.

Not to the best of my knowledge, but then again I don't attend too many shows so maybe it still happens at some.

I'm very envious of you for seeing Pink Floyd on this tour -- if I could go back in time and choose any tour to see Pink Floyd it would be this one (though I was only 4 years old at the time). I started listening to them when I was in college (1993 or so), and the following year they happened to come out with a new album (The Division Bell) after the second long hiatus that followed the release of The Final Cut, so I leaped at the opportunity to see them in May 1994 on The Division Bell tour in Raleigh, NC. I still look back on it as the finest concert I've ever attended. In addition to the musicianship (they did the entire DSOTM album, I loved seeing the two huge pigs with laser-beam eyes rocking back and forth during "One of These Days." I heard that they started doing the pig thing with the Animal tour. Do you remember seeing them at the MSG show?

Tangent: There was some up-thread discussion about Animals in which some expressed that this marked the beginning of the downfall of Pink Floyd, with Roger becoming somewhat dictatorial. While I won't dispute the shift in Roger's role and the effect it may have had on band cohesion, I just wanted to state that I still consider Animals to be one of their most brilliant works. In no way, shape, or form do I think it represented a decline of the application of their talents. In fact, I find it to be one of their strongest efforts. As far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with teenage angst (some have lumped it in with the Wall in this regard)...but offers a broad social critique of some of the most basic contradictions in contemporary society....organized religion, capitalism, politics. It is a 'concept album' in the truest sense of the term, I believe. Now, I would certainly concede that it might not be as listenable / pleasing as some of their other albums...I don't reach for it as often as say DSOTM, WYWH or Meddle, but I still consider it to be an album with a substance and grit to it that stands the test of time. The issues addressed in this album seem just as relevant (and thought provoking) today as they did in 1977. Just my .02.

Pink Floyd are ace!

I love Eric Prydz's mix of "One More Brick on the Wall", which he called "Proper Education".

There is an earlier mix of that by Eric, called "The Wall", which is very funky and not as well known as his big hit mix. Check it out. You can PM me for a copy if you have trouble locating it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll search for this title and see if I can locate a copy.

Edited by Norm