Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy the box sets, and then "open up" one CD per year.

Man, I wish I had the discipline to do that...

Frankly, I don't think I've (in any salient way) absorbed a good 90 or so percent of my music collection. Sometimes the connection is immediate and powerful, sometimes it just doesn't come. If something doesn't work, I just move on (usually buying stuff along the way)... 'Bitches Brew' collected dust for years before I finally worked up the nerve to tackle it. Conversely: Andrew Hill's 'Point of Departure' had me at second number three. At the same time, some great albums just take a really, really long time to settle in--and that's part of the thrill, really... 'getting to know' some of this stuff (the Cellar Door material included) can be a lifelong endeavor.

I've had this set for a few weeks now and I've listened to it at least three times. Personally, I find this to be some of the easiest electric miles to assimilate. I'm sure there's a lot more to be found with repeated listenings. However, I feel like I get where miles and the band are coming from (and totally approve BTW). For me this release lived up to all the hype.

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought "Live Evil", and have listened to it a couple of times and liked it more than I thought I would. So much so in fact that I am now considering the Cellar Door set. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

So if I like the "Live Evil" stuff would I like the Cellar Door set more or less? I mean, is it just loads and loads of the same stuff or what?

I gone through most of this post and very little of it actually pertains to the music, as usual. :D:D:D

So I bought "Live Evil", and have listened to it a couple of times and liked it more than I thought I would. So much so in fact that I am now considering the Cellar Door set. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

So if I like the "Live Evil" stuff would I like the Cellar Door set more or less? I mean, is it just loads and loads of the same stuff or what?

I gone through most of this post and very little of it actually pertains to the music, as usual. :D:D:D

You should like the box set. It is essentially the same music on this, well, the LIVE material on Live/Evil will be on the final two discs in the box set, in unedited form. And there will be four other discs of sets on nights without guitar, and they are different as a result. For the most part a lot of repitition of "tunes" BUT not tedious or entirely teh same to me.

The sound on the box set is better than any version of Live/Evil I've heard on cd.

Edited by jazzbo

Sounds like it will have to be bought then, I find myself listening to more of Miles' Electric stuff then ever before. I got "Miles In The Sky" recently as well and really like it also. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. I sort of have a comfort food addiction to electric Miles. It was the first music that really excited me and 'fit' when I returned from Africa as a seventeen year old, and I've just had an affection and geniune need for it ever since.

• 10 months later...

Sometimes 10 seconds is all you need to know if something is BAD though, and thats all i need to know the cellar door was nothin but bad ass motherfuckers playin their asses off. (as miles would say)

That's been my experience too. Yes, sometimes as little as 10 seconds.

And to be completely serious, often it only takes 30, 20, or even as little 15 seconds to tell if something is gonna be REALLY great. This is true of most of the obscure stuff I'm often looking for and discover from that '65-'75 period in jazz that I love so much.

And it's also often true (for me, at least) with classical recordings of 20th Century works. Some of THE best things I've discovered have totally "clicked" with me in 20 seconds or less -- and yes, sometimes as little as 10 seconds -- often by composers I'd never heard of, or were largely unfamiliar with at the time.

Interesting - I often find that the albums that become my favorites are the ones that don't fully click with me the first time I spin them, but that I feel compelled to return to later.

You should like the box set. It is essentially the same music on this, well, the LIVE material on Live/Evil will be on the final two discs in the box set, in unedited form. And there will be four other discs of sets on nights without guitar, and they are different as a result. For the most part a lot of repitition of "tunes" BUT not tedious or entirely teh same to me.

The sound on the box set is better than any version of Live/Evil I've heard on cd.

You know, I've been through the Cellar Door box a few times now and unfortunately I have to take the dissenting opinion that I'd much rather listen to my record of Live/Evil. I'm not chucking the box, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations - it just seems kind of flat vs. the originally released material. Maybe some day I'll feel differently...

• 3 weeks later...

Have moved on to disc 3. Loving this music.

One regret: I wish they'd played "Yesternow" more than once. I love hearing the group mine that slow, funky groove. Maybe they did on one of the four unreleased sets.

Second regret: I wish they'd played "Bitches Brew" on this engagement, like they did at a few other concerts.

Guy

It's a great set that holds up well.

Keith Jarrett had always whined about Live-Evil not being as good as the McLauglin-less version of the band. I never believed him, as I never liked the 1971 post-DeJohnette version, but I actually enjoy the four discs without McLaughlin far more than the final two with him.

I wonder if Disc 1 is the last time Miles played with a quintet?

I agrees "Yesternows" is fantastic and I am amazed how much the band gets out of a tune as simple as "Honky Tonk."

Also dig how Michael Henderson quotes "Power to Love" near the end of "Directions" on Disc 4, which is my favourite disc of the set. Incredible intensity.

DeJohnette is a monster; the band was never the same without him.

I think you'll find the odd quintet configuration in the final decade.

I've got to agree that this is a great set that holds up well. . . and I too like the material without John a lot (like the material with him as well). So glad this was finally released!

I love this music as well, and I listen to it pretty often, especially during these warmer, sunnier months. And what makes this set even better every time I pull it out, is that I'm reminded of the sweet $39 pre-order price I got it for!

Guest Bixieland

I was suprised by the listenability of this set. The intensity of the jams is great, and very infectuous. I understand how some can say they find Miles trumpet the least interesting at times...it's as if everybody was lettin' loose, and Miles was more tinkering with ideas...one hand on his horn, the other turning knobs.

Then again, that's why he booked the dates, I guess! Not that he doesn't find comfort zones and get into it. But everyone else is gettin' grity and soulful, playin' their tails off...cauze that's what the man paid them to do! Entertain the folks why I mess around behind the curtain... quite nice of hime to do, when you look at it like that.

Edited by Bixieland

I love this music as well, and I listen to it pretty often, especially during these warmer, sunnier months. And what makes this set even better every time I pull it out, is that I'm reminded of the sweet $39 pre-order price I got it for!

I got the Cellar Door box from YM for $35.94 ;)

and the 7 Steps box was a whopping $34.93 :crazy:

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I would agree with all the positive comments on this set, I was suprised how much I enjoyed it myself, and would endorse the, "I was suprised by the listenability of this set" comment.

It's not as mad as you might think. I bought it after getting "Live Evil" and thinking this is great, it's like Fela Kuti, and since getting the Box Set, I would agree that the McLauglin-less shows do seem to have a slight edge, and again, there is definitely something special about Disc 4.

Oh, and I paid a load of cash for it but it was worth it.

• 2 weeks later...