Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

Not at all. Keith's somewhat a favorite of mine.

But a cheap joke's a cheap joke, so you gotta carpe diem!

I've heard that Keith does not appreciate cheap jokes at his expense.

Good! Maybe he can read that and have a hissy fit over me like he did over Marcus Miller in his notes here... :g

Seriously, I love the cat, but...well...you know. ;)

And even more seriously, does anybody else think that the Friday night sets are the most organic? I mean, you can hear the stuff getting tighter and more telepathic with each set from each night, and on Friday, it just seems like BAM, it's all there. Adding McLaughlin on Saturday certainly didn't make it any worse, but now I'm wondering what the night would have been like if he hadn't been there & if the trend of the week continued.

No matter - this is a great set!

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here hear "Rebirth? "

Yep. It's very nice, imo. Not the same (or as earthsahking) as Miles's stuff, but definitely "related to" it.

Henderson, btw, had some success as a funk/disco/etc solo artist after he left Miles, The title cut of the Wide Receiver album to which the AAJ interview refers was an R&B hit. No crossover success, but a hit neverhteless.

IIRC, Henderson was part of the Norman Connoirs crew that had a run of popular R&B sets at the time under various guises. But I'm not 100% sure of that.

IIRC, Henderson was part of the Norman Connoirs crew that had a run of popular R&B sets at the time under various guises. But I'm not 100% sure of that.

Yes, indeed. Henderson played bass for Connors and even sang lead vocal on Connors' 'You Are my Starship'

I finally got my copy and am starting to listen to it. Maybe I should listen to disc 2 first, just in case there is a problem. Anyway, I read through the thread (not that carefully) and maybe I missed it, but my booklet does indeed have the sticker that "corrects" the credits for the compilation on p. 94. Am I the only one?What a frigging waste of time to hold up this set just so someone's ego gets stroked a bit more.

I finally got my copy and am starting to listen to it. Maybe I should listen to disc 2 first, just in case there is a problem. Anyway, I read through the thread (not that carefully) and maybe I missed it, but my booklet does indeed have the sticker that "corrects" the credits for the compilation on p. 94. Am I the only one?What a frigging waste of time to hold up this set just so someone's ego gets stroked a bit more.

My disc 2 is O.K..

And yes the sticker is there on p.94.

I like the set more than the Jack Johnson set. Gary Bartz, and really everyone else, is one fire throughout. It is the leanest electric Miles I have heard, and the closest he got to a funk/rock band. Jarrett is particularly magnificent as well. Definitely ALOT more blues in his playing than he usually has.

As much as I love the Jack Johnson set, I find it a bit hard to listen to for long period, unless you take out all the alternate takes. Its very easy to put on the Cellar Door for long periods.

I also heard it on public radio last night while driving home from a christmas party.

Interesting, as much as I like the Cellar Door box, I do not find it to be superior to the Jack Johnson box. These boxes are ripe for comparison, given similar instrumentation and personnel and even many of the same tunes, and as of now, I think certain versions of the same tune on the J Johnson box are actually superior to any version on the Cellar Door. Gary Bartz has never been for me the most compelling player.

Just my two cents, I may change my mind but that's what I think now.

...anyone want to volunteer to rip their sticker off to see what offensive language is underneath? :P:cool:

Just noticed this on Paul Tingen's Miles Beyond site (http://www.miles-beyond.com/news.htm)-

Also received my promotional copy of the Cellar Door today, and the belowmentioned sticker can be found on page 94 of the booklet, where the word "produced" in the line "BOX SET PRODUCED BY ADAM HOLZMAN AND BOB BELDEN" has been replaced by "compiled."

Yeah... well worth a five month delay. :rmad:

Edited by Rosco

Shit, Clem, I don't think I'm even that out-of-it!

;)

Great set, mine sounds brilliant. I'm probably not as well-versed in electric Miles as some of you here, but from what I have and considering the Cellar Door in personal context, this piece is a real staggering set. Still worthwhile to have both the Live-Evil LPs and the box, which is what's nice about these Legacy bricks.

• 2 weeks later...

Clem,

I thought FD was using "prog" as short for 'progressive', as in prog-rock or -jazz, in the bit you quote, but I could be wrong. In any case, the whole thing has a class-based snobbery about it that's quite obnoxious but otherwise empty and "untouched by the thought process" as Click & Clack say. I really thought the singers thing in the Atlantic was pretty good/not too bad/OK, but this one truly is a piece of shit...and just as wrongheaded and harmful to jazz as the anti-Parker piece refered to elsewhere.