Complete Clef/Verve Count Basie and more!

When Basie reformed his big band in the 1950s, he managed to become entirely new by sticking with what had made him great from the start. And in the process, Basie achieved some of the most extraordinary success of his career.

He employed the era's best composers and arrangers, and they left their mark not only on the orchestra but on musical history as well. A new breed of soloists became stand-outs in what was known as "The New Testament" band. Names such as Joe Newman, Paul Quinichette, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, Joe Wilder, Frank Wess, Frank Foster, Thad Jones, and Sonny Payne became known during their tenure with Basie. Another name that became a household word thanks to his association with Count Basie is the inimitable Joe Williams.

The original reel to reel tapes were the source for most of this release which contains 146 tracks on eight CDs, including seven previously-unreleased recordings and three alternates not in the vaults at Universal Music.

This set is scheduled for release in mid-late April and is posted on the website and available for preorder.

These are sets that we are working on but have not yet been posted on the website:

Scheduled for June Release

Mosaic Select: Johnny Richards (MS-017) 3 CDs $39

Johnny Richards was one of the boldest jazz arrangers of the '40s, '50s and '60s. His work is characterized by large instrumentation, a flamboyant, sometimes inventively dissonant style and creative use of Latin rhythms. Best known for his work with Stan Kenton, he also made a number of outstanding projects under his own name including the six albums included here, made between 1955 and '66, all on CD for the first time. Soloists include Gene Quill, Clifford Jordan, Seldon Powell, Burt Collins, Ray Copeland, Marvin Stamm, Jimmy Cleveland, Bill Watrous, and Hank Jones.

Mosaic Select: Freddie Slack (MS-018) 3 CDs $39

Pianist Freddie Slack was one of the main exponents of the boogie-woogie craze during the late '30s and early '40s while a member of the popular Will Bradley-Ray McKinley Orchestra. In 1941 he started up his own orchestra and became one of the first recording artists for the newly-formed Capitol label. The best 65 tracks, 15 previously unissued, are collected here. Soloists include Remo Palmieri, T-Bone Walker, Barney Bigard, arrangements by Benny Carter and vocals by Johnny Mercer and Ella Mae Morse. As a bonus, we've included the seven Capitol sides by Ray McKinley's 1942 band.

Scheduled For August Release

The Pacific Jazz Studio Sessions Of The Jazz Crusaders (MD6-230) 6 CDs $102

Wilton Felder, Wayne Henderson, Joe Sample and Stix Hooper formed a band in high school in Houston. In 1958, they set out for California where the group evolved into the Jazz Crusaders. Their sound was unmistakable. The dark, rich sound of Wayne Henderson's trombone and Wilton Felder's Texas tenor popped. Joe Sample's articulate piano style was as orchestral as it was rhythmic, and Stix Hooper could provide lots of color without sacrificing the great grooves he'd establish. They blended modern jazz and roadhouse funk seamlessly. This set chronicles the nine studio albums made by the Jazz Crusaders for Pacific Jazz between 1961 and 1970 on 6 CDs with a dozen previously unissued performances. Not included in the set are special projects such as their collaboration with Les McCann or their albums with a big band or Latin musicians added.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as a Johnny Richards small group, is there?

Mike

Right Mike - I know of no Johnny Richards small group recordings - in fact considering all his output I doubt a small group could generate the power he often displayed.

My favorite in this new Select is the wild WILD "Rites OF Diablo". At times controlled mayhem but great "Latin" all the same.

Edited by Fran

Hmm. . . that's a selling point!

I'll say!

Chris, we'll gladly "pimp" for you! :g

CD discography doesn't mention this one, but it will be included as well:

f150994ova5.jpg

Chris, I'm doing a bit of research on Evansville, Indiana born Belford Hendricks (probably best known for the arrangements he did for Dinah Washington). An article in an Indiana history magazine claims that he was involved in the writing for KING OF SWING... any truth to that claim that you might know of?

I don't want to second guess Mosaic, but it seems like Freddie Slack is an odd choice for a Select set.

Who knows, maybe there were more requests for Freddie Slack than the Braxton Arista small group sides on the BNBB whn I wasn't looking... <_<

Additionally, to round it out, the Slack Select has the eight 1942 sides Ray McKinley cut for Capitol with a 17 piece big band.

I too am afraid there will be too much sameness with all the boogie that Slack recorded, but there are also the T Bone Walker sides and some really quite good vocals, as I recall, (if you are into that), by Ella Mae Morse and such as Johnny Mercer, Bobby Troup and others.

How much of the Basie material from this set is already out on CD?

I think I have all three--APRIL IN PARIS, THE KING OF SWING, and BASIE SWINGS, JOE WILLIAMS SINGS. I'm sure that other material has surfaced elsewhere on CD, but I think those are the only straight-up album re-issues on CD.

Also, "The Greatest! Count Basie Plays, Joe Williams Sings Standards" is currently available on CD.