What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy watching Welk on PBS every now and then as well. My Mom's parents would have that show on and my Grandma Dorothy would even dance with us sometimes. It seems almost as if it's a memory from another planet. A happy planet.

I'm watching today's episode of "The Naked Archaeologist."

First two parts (/10) of a superb Danish detective/political mystery, 'The Killing', shown on BBC 4 last night:

2763103_com_killing.jpg

Wonderful, brooding atmosphere and nice and slow moving. Add subtitles into the equation and I'm not surprised to read:

In the USA, rather than show the original, Fox Television Studios is choosing to remake it for the AMC cable network and that is due to be broadcast some time in 2011. It had a successful pilot in 2010.

With Bruce Willis and J Lo, no doubt. Pathetic.

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-killing-danish-crime-drama-comes-to-bbc-four-a335346

BBC4 seems to have struck gold bringing in these crime dramas from mainland Europe, probably playing off the appetite for Scandinavian crime novels here. Hope they continue it.

Inspector Lewis: Allegory of Love on my local PBS station.

Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox have helped to make up for the loss of John Thaw and the Inspector Morse series.

Just finished going through all of those on rented DVD. One or two creaked (the one about the ageing hippies reuniting a rock band was very silly) - but overall I really enjoyed them. And, as you say, the Whately/Fox relationship, really does work.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I don't know Bev, AMC has aired some really good dramas . . . Mad Men, Rubicon. . . .I think there's a chance they'll do well with this material.

Watched the De Niro SNL they rebroadcast tonight. The very end with Dana Carvey voiceover really cracked me up.

I don't know Bev, AMC has aired some really good dramas . . . Mad Men, Rubicon. . . .I think there's a chance they'll do well with this material.

You're no doubt right.

I just wish that we in the English speaking world could just show a bit of respect and make the effort to watch the originals with subtitles when they are already superb.

The UK version of Wallander was completely surplus to requirements.

You're no doubt right.

I just wish that we in the English speaking world could just show a bit of respect and make the effort to watch the originals with subtitles when they are already superb.

The UK version of Wallander was completely surplus to requirements.

Landmark foreign language series over here that I remember fondly are the 3 series of the German TV 'Heimat' and the full TV version of 'Das Boot'.

Way better than just about everything else on the TV at the time.

Must get round to watching 'Wallender' one of these days. Too busy watching documentaries about Thin Lizzy !

Edited by sidewinder

Landmark foreign language series over here that I remember fondly are the 3 series of the German TV 'Heimat' and the full TV version of 'Das Boot'.

Way better than just about everything else on the TV at the time.

Must get round to watching 'Wallender' one of these days. Too busy watching documentaries about Thin Lizzy !

Heimat was amazing!

Loved that Thin Lizzy doc!

Finally got Venture Bros. Season 4 (part 1) on DVD. Crazy, crazy shit.

Next thing in my queue is The Day the Universe Changed, which is another series by James Burke (the guy that did Connections) -- this time focusing more on paradigm shifts. I'll see if it interests my son, but I think he is a bit too young to get the idea.

And this maybe could go into a WTF thread, though I can't find it now. Very sad story, but as soon as I read it, I thought - life imitating "Six Feet Under": http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/tortilla-factory-worker-killed-in-mixing-accident/?ref=nyregion

Next thing in my queue is The Day the Universe Changed, which is another series by James Burke (the guy that did Connections) -- this time focusing more on paradigm shifts. I'll see if it interests my son, but I think he is a bit too young to get the idea.

Well, thanks a lot. Now I regret going to streaming only; none of his series are available, and I never did see the second and third Connections series.

Well, thanks a lot. Now I regret going to streaming only; none of his series are available, and I never did see the second and third Connections series.

They're not as good as the first. Too hurried for my taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Chicago Code Ep 2

chicago-code-poster.jpg

Has possibilities, it might turn into a really good series.

Hope it fairs better than Terriers. A shame such a good show was axed.

Also watching the last episode of Any Human Heart

any-human-heart-dvd.jpg

After that I'll watch the first two episodes of The Promise.

Edited by kinuta