What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding tonight's Oscars, there are a couple people I'm very happy for:

Kate Winslet - ABOUT DAMN TIME that she gets the official recognition she's deserved for many years. This year she gave two performances that were Oscar worthy...and I've never seen her give anything less than EVERYTHING in her performances (Enigma, Little Children, Sense & Sensibility, Jude, etc, etc), she's simply one of the most fearless actresses of her generation.

Danny Boyle - Even though I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet (which I intend to remedy), I've been a fan of his for quite some time, a director that seems to be successful in every genre he touches. 28 Days Later & Sunshine are two of my favorite films of the past several years...and because one was horror and the other was sci-fi, there was no chance he would get any recognition for them. For a film that was once doomed to go direct to DVD, I think his triumph is well deserved.

Just watched a dramatic boxing fight that occured this weekend in Italy involving Sven Paris and Krzystof Bienas, the local fighter was doing well on my card but for whatever reason he hit a wall around the seventh round got knocked in the 8th round but finished on shakey legs and the festive atmosphery in the arena turned into a chilling silence. After 8th round with the pleas of what seems his girlfriend or his wife he elected to quit on his stool

Yes, but I like watching Beyonce.

I can relate to that. I've only seen her once, in a football halftime show. I have no idea who was playing, who won, or even if it was pro or college, but I remember her...

She's an awesomely beautiful woman, and as far as I can tell a nice one.

When I spent a few years in and out of Houston I saw how important she was there as a "homegirl." They love her there.

Regarding tonight's Oscars, there are a couple people I'm very happy for:

Kate Winslet - ABOUT DAMN TIME that she gets the official recognition she's deserved for many years. This year she gave two performances that were Oscar worthy...and I've never seen her give anything less than EVERYTHING in her performances (Enigma, Little Children, Sense & Sensibility, Jude, etc, etc), she's simply one of the most fearless actresses of her generation.

Me too. Good for her. :tup

It's actually pretty amazing that she got, what, something like FIVE Oscar noms before this win, and she's only in her early thirties.

I was also happy about the only moment of real surprise in the telecast, when Sean Penn won for Best Actor instead of Mickey Rourke. Everyone (including me) thought Rourke would win out of sentimentality, but Penn's performance was more remarkable. Yes, he can be a boorish pain in the ass in real life, but Penn's a talented actor, there's no getting around it.

Lost

This is the best season. At one point I'd almost given up on Lost but hung in just to see where it would go. We are now in some serious SF territory.

Rewatching Crime Story S1. It's incredible how many guys got their first break on this show. I only recently twigged that Ray Luca is one of Brenda's crew on The Closer.

Edited by kinuta