Where would the music have been taken?

Hardbopjazz

If Coltrane lived past 1967, where would he have taken his music? Towards the end of his life he was submerged in free jazz, and he also had some eastern influences to his music. I think it would have been more towards the “Stellar Regions” sound. But give it a few years and he would have changed his sound and music again.

Any thoughts?

If Coltrane lived past 1967, where would he have taken his music? Towards the end of his life he was submerged in free jazz, and he also had some eastern influences to his music. I think it would have been more towards the “Stellar Regions” sound. But give it a few years and he would have changed his sound and music again.

Any thoughts?

Obviously extremely speculative, but given the path that a lot of other jazz revolutionaries took in the 70s and 80s, I think that to some degree he would have moved back toward the mainstream.

Guy

I think he would have pursued the path shown by the posthumous Stellar Regions CD, but at the same time experimented with African music, especially larger percussion groups - and I think with other musical styles from all over the word, as well as electronics - remember he played Varitone on one his last tours?

I can recall reading somewhere that he intended to move backwards, perhaps more to the inner edges of out or even further. Given that he'd taken his music about as far as he could in its 1967 context, that wouldn't be much of a surprise. Based on his last few recordings, you'd get no argument from me if he chose to move in a more traditional direction.

Keep in mind Coltrane died in 1967 at age 40. If he'd lived another 30-35 years, that would have taken him through a lot of different musical styles and trends. Everything from disco to hip hop. With someone as gifted musically as he was, one can only speculate as to what he might have gotten into. Geez, for all we know, he could've wound up calling himself De La Col or Jay-C.

Fun to speculate, but who has a clue.

Up over and out.

This was discussed rather thoroughly a little over a year ago on rec.music.bluenote - the thread can be found here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.mu...67a93d54db9a612

My friend Ed Rhodes argued very convincingly against the idea that Coltrane would turn towards more conservative things.

Mike

Thanks. I only had time to check a bit of it, but I'll read more later.

What would have happened? No one knows.

I can dream...collaborations with Sun Ra? Ornette? John McLaughlin? Anthony Braxton? :tup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I would love to hear more of John Coltrane in duet context, as well as the multi-percussion context. I would also love to hear more of John Coltrane in a trio format.

Think of all of the musicians that he never did record with. Duets with Wayne Shorter, not just practice tapes. Duets with John Gilmore, Fred Anderson, Adam Rudolph, more Jimmy Garrison, maybe a trio with two bassists. The list could go on forever.

I cannot speculate as to whether his music would continue to evolve and change at the pace it did in the late 1950s through the late 1960s, but I can imagine the possibilities of growth by moving away from a working ensemble to a more improvisational setting.