Who's the worst

Who's the worst  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have heard "new age jazz" described as being "gay" in the past, on more than one occasion. But in such an application of the term, I don't think it has any sexual connotations. It just means it has no balls, so to speak.

As far as calling a player gay, well yeah, that is sort of non-PC.

By the way, is this referred to differently in other areas of the country? In Texas, it is sometimes called Oasis jazz (because there is/was a station with that name that broadcast this shit everyday.

Lite-jazz

Oasis jazz

Vanilla jazz

emasculated jazz

spice free jazz

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard "new age jazz" described as being "gay" in the past, on more than one occasion. But in such an application of the term, I don't think it has any sexual connotations. It just means it has no balls, so to speak.

As far as calling a player gay, well yeah, that is sort of non-PC.

By the way, is this referred to differently in other areas of the country? In Texas, it is sometimes called Oasis jazz (because there is/was a station with that name that broadcast this shit everyday.

Lite-jazz

Oasis jazz

Vanilla jazz

emasculated jazz

spice free jazz

The industry term is smooth jazz.

I've been calling it happy jazz for 15 years. The term never caught on. :rhappy:

"Gaydar" is not a pejorative term--you can think someone might be homosexual without making a value judgment on homosexuality. Using "gay" to describe someone or something that you detest is.

Yup.

Geez, Berigan, I'm a Christian and a Democrat. So are some others around this joint... better re-calibrate the ol' thinkin' cap, my man. :P

No. I just don't mean any harm, and this little shit just blows up in my face, and its not something I enjoy very much.

That's the way it goes with homophobic comments sometimes...darn planet!

Heck, when the CSI gang entered an assistant DA's home in LA last night, one of the technicians (Warrick) said: "anyone else's gaydar going off?". They really should reprimand the conservative republican writer that penned that line, huh? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's funny...you don't usually come off like an ignorant twit...

Lite-jazz

Oasis jazz

Vanilla jazz

emasculated jazz

spice free jazz

We generally refer to it as shit here. As in "what is that shit?"

Lite-jazz

Oasis jazz

Vanilla jazz

emasculated jazz

spice free jazz

We generally refer to it as shit here. As in "what is that shit?"

shit is one of few words that also apply to the exact opposite.

Heck, when the CSI gang entered an assistant DA's home in LA last night, one of the technicians (Warrick) said: "anyone else's gaydar going off?".  They really should reprimand the conservative republican writer that penned that line, huh?  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

That's funny...you don't usually come off like an ignorant twit...

Hey sweetums, I took the liberty of ordering 100 cartons of the non-filter Lucky Strikes from the board's new smoke salesman and am having 'em shipped to you. Enjoy. :lol:

I actually had no idea that 'gaydar' wasn't in the 'not okay' column of the ever changing 'ok/not okay to say' list and bet there are others on this board who are in the same boat. There some reference manual you receive with your cherished subscription to TV Guide that keeps you up to speed on the current slight-of-the-month? B-)

Two points, Weizen, one of which obviously escapes you...

1) The word "gaydar" may or may not be offensive to gays; I wouldn't know. I wouldn't use it myself as it's just not in my vocabulary. Big Wheel says he's checked, and at least among the gays he knows, it's not, so I'll bow to his superior knowledge. But there is no doubt that the use of "gay" as a putdown is offensive to gays.

2) Shocking as this may be to you, CSI is a work of fiction. Even if the word "gaydar" is offensive, using it in a work of fiction (perhaps to indicate that the speaker is anti-gay?) may be intentionally offensive to ellicit an emotional response on the part of the viewer, painting the speaking character as homophobic.

345000.jpg

Man, people sure are quick to want to cut off discussion on this board lately...

(Not directed at you, Hans; yours just happened to be on this page and easiest to quote!)

No problem. I posted it because in my view discussions like these don't belong here - besides, they're very bad for my blood pressure :eye: :eye:, which is why I don't take part ^_^. I think they should be moved to the political/religious/etc. forum (which I can't see ;)); but hey, that's just my opinion...

Calling Cambridge!!  Calling Cambridge!!  Come on....give us an answer!!  Can't you at least give us a few issues that the bi-sexual community would be interested in?  What would they lobby for?

Well, I no longer live in Cambridge -- but right off the top of my head I know that a huge issue for bisexuals is anti-gay violence. And -- yes -- that is particularly faced by bisexuals while "acting the gay role" -- e.g., at the moment of walking out of a gay bar with your friends and running into bashers. Or while walking hand-in-hand with a same-sex companion. That would be the most immediate, self-interested "issue."

In the military, I believe, it's engaging in homosexual activity that's a no-no, regardless of whether you also engage in heterosexual activity. Again, an issue for bisexuals. As would be any state laws criminalizing sexual activity with someone of the same sex (Hardwick v Bowers ring a bell?).

Then there's the broader issue of solidarity with and support of one's friends, and their rights. Bisexual people do have gay friends. Then again, so do (some) straight people.

Edited by maren

Two points, Weizen, one of which obviously escapes you...

1)  The word "gaydar" may or may not be offensive to gays; I wouldn't know.  I wouldn't use it myself as it's just not in my vocabulary.  Big Wheel says he's checked, and at least among the gays he knows, it's not, so I'll bow to his superior knowledge.  But there is no doubt that the use of "gay" as a putdown is offensive to gays. 

2) Shocking as this may be to you, CSI is a work of fiction.  Even if the word "gaydar" is offensive, using it in a work of fiction (perhaps to indicate that the speaker is anti-gay?) may be intentionally offensive to ellicit an emotional response on the part of the viewer, painting the speaking character as homophobic.

Well, obviously the Wheel wasn't sure himself and thus had to check with someone else....and he's 20 years younger than I and presumably a bit more plugged into the current culture 'scene'. :)

Mark, the fiction bit you're trying to float is sub-par...

"using it in a work of fiction (perhaps to indicate that the speaker is anti-gay?) may be intentionally offensive to ellicit an emotional response on the part of the viewer"

I guess you have never seen the show. Established African-American character, says it matter of factly....and in the context of what would a gay guy be doing picking up a female hooker. As such, no one in the regular viewing audience is going to sit there and think 'hell, I really thought I knew these professionals....but that black investigator and the female detective who agreed with him are really both wicked homophobes'.

He walks into a man's house and says 'Anyone else's gaydar going off?', which obviously means that he has picked up various cues -- the place is neat & tidy and they are looking at how it's decorated, inferring it was done like a gay man would decorate. So how exactly would the gay man decorate? Talk about your stereotypical assumptions. And I thought you guys were all so opposed to stereotyping. :rolleyes:

Now your arguement about how it may have been said to be "intentionally offensive" ... well, that's why I brought it up. And since our expert in Cambridge says it is not offensive, I guess the best thing to say about that is, wrong-o!

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I took the liberty of ordering 100 cartons of the non-filter Lucky Strikes from the board's new smoke salesman and am having 'em shipped to you.

You know, Red Garland chain-smoked those things, even (especially) while playing. The piano at the old Recovery Room was massively scarred where he had lit one up, taken a few drags, set it down to play, and then lit another one while that one was still burning.

"Gaydar" isn't offensive at all... at least among my circle of gay friends... though I'm sure there are some out there, somewhere, who would be offended by it.

Honestly - and again, among my circle of very gay and very out and very liberal gay friends - I'd be hard-pressed to use the word "gay" as a put-down in any way ("that is so gay") that would offend them. Most would probably laugh and agree.

But as they say, your mileage will vary...

Talk about your stereotypical assumptions. And I thought you guys were all so opposed to stereotyping.  :rolleyes:

I'm not opposed to all stereotyping, just the wrong kind of stereotyping. I think we all know it when we see it: "Jews are all greedy, Poles are all stupid, Mexicans are all lazy." Generally, greed, stupidity, and laziness are frowned upon in our culture. The gaydar thing is only wrong to a person who already thinks there's something wrong with being gay. One might make the argument that it's making fun of gay people for having meticulously kept and preciously decorated houses, but I think most people wouldn't say there's anything really wrong with such decorating--it's just not how they, personally, would choose to decorate their own houses.

Edited by Big Wheel

"Gaydar" isn't offensive at all... at least among my circle of gay friends... though I'm sure there are some out there, somewhere, who would be offended by it.

Honestly - and again, among my circle of very gay and very out and very liberal gay friends - I'd be hard-pressed to use the word "gay" as a put-down in any way ("that is so gay") that would offend them. Most would probably laugh and agree.

But as they say, your mileage will vary...

Well that's fair...but again, how was I to know? Moose won't send me the 'okay/not okay to say' manual. ;) That's why I asked. If Wheel says that some steroetyping is okay....cool, I'll just file it away. :)