Favorite Artists

Jazz Kat

I had favorites when I was 16. I have favorites now. I talked about them with friends/bandmates then as I do now. That's what has built/preserved my interest in the music. Sure, it's a second-best to listening, but it helps me listen. And hearing about other peoples' loves helps me broaden my interests.

I don't know Jazz Kat, and I don't know his history here or with anyone, but if he wants to post favorites, fine by me.

Here are my favorites from when I was 16; they haven't changed much in the intervening decades (many of them):

Lester Young

Wardell Gray

Ben Webster

John Coltrane (thru about 1965, at that time)

Johnny Griffin (as a tenor player, I was awed by his chops)

I appreciated Coleman Hawkins too, but he didn't really grow on me until I was older.

Peace

(Edited to improve grammar)

Edited by BbM7

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave him that "credit" for a while, but it is getting really tiring.

Chuck,

you're tiring. Who can take a thread like this and call it arrogant. Geeeeez. I just wanted to see what your favorite artists were, and to show everybody mine. I lost my respect for you way back, so I guess we're finally even.

Edited by Jazz Kat

I can understand Chuck's exasperation over threads like this. At the same time, I've started my share of them in the past! ;):excited:

Too many favorites.

I've been listening to jazz for only 6 or 7 years now. Those who have been listening for 30 years or so would definitely find my music comments sophomoric. Couple that with the fact that I can't play any music myself, and there would be no reason for me to be other than humble when it comes to musical pronouncements.

I would imagine that Jazzkat's experience is even callower than mine.

I can dig what Chuck's saying...

I can understand Chuck's exasperation over threads like this. 

I can dig what Chuck's saying...

The problem is really that such lists are not only boring but sophmoric. There are other forums for beginers. I've seen lists that seem to be just so much blather and don't add anything to any discussion of the artists.

Now ,if you asked who are your favorites among the NEW ARTISTS, that may be both worth discussing, numbering, useful and interesting.

Very quickly my current favs are;

Tommy Smith ( operatic facility; no one plays in high register like him. Such control! )

Tim Garland ( to my ears, the best sound on tenor today; and soprano!)

Tony Malbry ( alive, angular ideas; always a lot of interesting content )

Donny McCaskin ( driving, fluid; never-ending ideas. I have to get more of his work)

Edited by marcello

It is threads like this one that caused me to sharply reduce my time at AAJ. There seems to be a weekly, sometimes daily thread about someone's top 10 or top 5 (why is it always "top anything"? why must people have lists for everything??) or favorite whatever. No disrespect, but I honestly don't care what someone else's top anything is

If this thread is bad, I'm surprised you don't loathe the What Are You Listening To Right Now thread. I bet you don't care what anybody else is listening to.

No, it's not the same. you see.

That topic is CURRENT!

Go buy some Tommy Smith. Everyone likes this photo of him.