Jimmy Giuffre Mosaic

I like this set, but it took some getting used to. I was only marginally familiar with Guiffre's work when I took the plunge, so I can't say I was as prepared for the music as I have been with other Mosaics. I would call it an acquired taste. Guiffre marched to a different drummer. Lots of folk influences. If you give it time, it will grow on you. Do not, however, expect to be bowled over at first blush.

Not sure when it went OOP. I'd guess a couple of years ago.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

It probably went oop because they exhausted all copies or they had reached the time limit. I'm on the opposite side of Sundog on this. I didn't like the set. Listened to it twice. Not just my thing. But I know people swear by it. Lon (jazzbo) is a good person to give an appraisal of the set.

I think this set timed out.

One of these days soon I have to shove aside the newly purchased material I'm swimming through and listen to this again. I really do like this set. One has to like the clarinet to really enjoy it. And you have to like that sort of cool and clever mode that Jimmy has of writing and making sound.

There's a LOT of variety in this set really . . . . Ensembles vary in size and instrumentation and there are a variety of material used as building blocks as well. Highlights for me are the trio mateiral and the material with Pee Wee Russell.

If you want a good sample from the set, pick up "The Jimmy Giuffre 3" on Atlantic. If you like that, there's a good chance you'd like the whole set. I like this CD, but certainly not enough to justify the cost of the Mosaic box. It's one of the few I took a pass on. No regrets (yet).

BTW, another very good date is a two-fer on ECM called "Jimmy Giuffre 3, 1961". I think I like the Atlantic a bit more but it's still very good.

Kevin

If you want a good sample from the set, pick up "The Jimmy Giuffre 3" on Atlantic. If you like that, there's a good chance you'd like the whole set. I like this CD, but certainly not enough to justify the cost of the Mosaic box. It's one of the few I took a pass on. No regrets (yet).

BTW, another very good date is a two-fer on ECM called "Jimmy Giuffre 3, 1961". I think I like the Atlantic a bit more but it's still very good.

Kevin

I agree with Kevin; "The Jimmy Giuffre 3" is THE Jimmy Giuffre

album to get.

It has what I believe is his first recorded version of "The Train and The River"

with Jim Hall on guitar. This is the quintessiential Giuffre. If I could only keep one of Jimmy's albums this would be the one. I was fascinated with this tune when I first heard it; very light and thoughtful composition - the opposite of the "in your face" approach.

BTW, there is some great video of the Jimmy Giuffre 3 (the edition with Jim Hall and Bob Brookmeyer) on "Jazz On A Summer's Day". This was recorded at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival and I believe is available on both VHS & DVD. Only one of many reasons to purchase this wonderful jazz documentary.

Don

This is far and away the most listened-to Mosaic set on my shelves.

The trio stuff with Jim Hall, in all of its configurations [be it Pena on bass, or Brookmeyer on piano/v tbn] has a reserved energy and exuberance all its own. My favorite of the lot is "Western Suite." I even like some of the overdubbed stuff.

Not sure I'd go quite that far.  The "parts" you speak of were a couple of pretty darn fine musicians, separately or together.

Up over and out.

Agreed, and I don't mean to diminish either one as an individual artist. I just think that they were a perfect fit for each other at that time, for that type of music. Their efforts collectively advanced that cool, introspective/free jazz school into some pretty interesting areas that few artists even today take the time to explore. That music is still way ahead of it's time IMO. A real shame more artists aren't picking up on it and advancing it more.

SD,

Roger that. I look at the direction Guiffre was taking as close to a one off in jazz. The closest equivalent may have been Chico Hamilton. I wish I had a better sense of how popular (and in a jazz context, the word "popular" is always used in a relative sense) this was when it was brand new. Point being, in today's even more restrictive environment, I'm not sure there's much room for music like this. More's the pity.

Up over and out.

Recommended,  the essential Giuffre is all here.

I'd add the two Verve (reissued as an ECM double) to that 'essential' list...

Yes, and the live recordings recently reissued on HatOLOGY (Emphasis & Flight, now a 2CD set).

Edit: and FREE FALL!!!

Edited by king ubu

for those of you who missed the mosaic, collectables has reissued most of the dates included in the box set, albeit spread across several cds:

090431624821.jpg

Jimmy Giuffre Three - Atlantic 1254 (1957)

The Music Man - Atlantic 1276 (1958)

090431616222.jpg

Jimmy Giuffre Clarinet - Atlantic 1238 (1956)

090431628423.jpg

contains The Four Brothers Sound - Atlantic 1295 (1958)

090431624920.jpg

contains Trav'lin' Light - Atlantic 1282 (1958)

090431661123.jpg

contains Western Suite - Atlantic 1330 (1958)

Edited by jazzshrink

SD,

Roger that. I look at the direction Guiffre was taking as close to a one off in jazz. The closest equivalent may have been Chico Hamilton. I wish I had a better sense of how popular (and in a jazz context, the word "popular" is always used in a relative sense) this was when it was brand new. Point being, in today's even more restrictive environment, I'm not sure there's much room for music like this. More's the pity.

Up over and out.

Take it from someone who was there when it happened .. in the late 1950s both Jimmy Giuffre and Chico Hamilton were as popular as you can get ... BUT ... their music was an essentially part of the "west coast vs. east Coast" critical battle at the time. Giuffre outgrew his west coast identification to become a darling of the avant-gardists in the 1980s, while Chico Hamilton moved on to a series of different grooves, and continues to do so even today.

This music was part of my socialization into jazz, and is as much a part of my very being as breathing.

SD,

Roger that.  I look at the direction Guiffre was taking as close to a one off in jazz.  The closest equivalent may have been Chico Hamilton.  I wish I had a better sense of how popular (and in a jazz context, the word "popular" is always used in a relative sense) this was when it was brand new.  Point being, in today's even more restrictive environment, I'm not sure there's much room for music like this.  More's the pity.

Up over and out.

Take it from someone who was there when it happened .. in the late 1950s both Jimmy Giuffre and Chico Hamilton were as popular as you can get ... BUT ... their music was an essentially part of the "west coast vs. east Coast" critical battle at the time. Giuffre outgrew his west coast identification to become a darling of the avant-gardists in the 1980s, while Chico Hamilton moved on to a series of different grooves, and continues to do so even today.

This music was part of my socialization into jazz, and is as much a part of my very being as breathing.

Very nicely put, garthsj. I was also there at the time and I concur completely. I especially love the part of the Mosaic that is from the "Jimmy Giuffre Clarinet" album.

By the way, there was an article in 2003 about Giuffre at his home in the Berkshires, and he was not at all in good health, in fact seemed to be quite seriously ill. I'd be interested if anyone had any updated information.

Those of us who love his music should send good thoughts his way.

Edited by JPF