George Gruntz: Mental Cruelty

Late

• 2 years later...

I got this last year, and I'm sure it was a thread on this board that alerted me to it. It's an excellent, haunting record. One of the best soundtracks to purely listen to that I own. I'd highly recommend it, though I agree that it's anomalous as far as the UMS series "sound" goes. It's not "free" but basically a moody hard bop/soul jazz kind of thing.

Cool to see the original cover above.Thanks, Son-of-a-Weizen!

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The film never came out, right?

I think the liner notes say something about it, but I don't have my copy handy. Anyone?

There's nothing in the liner notes making a definitive comment one way or the other, but based on other things said in the notes, I would be led to believe that it did get released.

Those liner notes are a great read, by the way. George Gruntz doesn't hold back. Between calling the director a womanizer, claiming that Kenny Clarke had trouble playing in 3/4 time, and detailing how the film company released the original soundtrack without telling (or paying) the musicians and how they had to hire a lawyer to sue the production company over it, well, it's one of the better sets of liner notes I've ever encountered. They could serialize it, and I'd read faithfully every week.

Edited by Chicago Expat