• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scat Jazz Lounge in Fort Worth

TUE, APRIL 28

8:00 PM

Jaelun Washington, Lyles West, & Jim Sangrey

Oh, I guess it's confirmed then. I was beginning to wonder...

SWEET!!!! Thanks for the heads-up, guys!

FWIW, I'm going to be in Ft. Worth Tuesday night on another appointment, but that may not end until around 9:00, if not later. I'm still gonna stop by the SCL when I'm done, hopefully be able to catch some of the set.

Just wanted to let Clifford, Aggie... and anyone else around Austin that might be interested... know that I'll be in a trio Friday and Saturday 24/25 with Jimmie Vaughan on guitar, Frosty on drums and myself on organ...at The Continental Gallery on South Congress.

Wish I could see that, Mike! I've got commitments in Corpus this weekend, otherwise that would be awfully tempting.

I'll shoot for Saturday. Assume this is connected somehow to the Continental Club?

There's also this, in which I'm participating. Burton Greene + Perry Robinson

WHAT: Burton Greene & Perry Robinson perform in duo.

WHEN: Thursday April 23rd, doors at 7PM, performance at 7:30

WHERE: The Boyd Vance Theater at the George Washington Carver Museum & Cultural Center,

1165 Angelina Street, Austin TX.

$12 admission.

WHY: church of the friendly ghost presents this concert as a part of our ongoing series of performances in creative music.

email churchofthefriendlyghost@gmail.com or call Aaron Mace at 512 786 2015 for more information.

This is yet another momentous occasion for jazz and creative music in Austin for April 2009.

April is jazz appreciation month in Austin, and the community is doing our beautiful city’s reputation justice this year. Just look at the roster of performances this month! Epistrophy Arts brings Ab Barrs & Ken Vandermark to the Victory Grill, NMC brings the music of Alvin Lucier to Ceremony Hall, Fuse Box festival brings Ikue Mori and Zeena Parkins to the Long Center, and over at the Salvage Vanguard we’re hosting Omar Tamez next week. These are some bright points, but not half of everything there will be to hear of this month. Not a month to take living in Austin for granted.

Since 2003, in the course of organizing over 400 performances, this date with Burton Greene and Perry Robinson stands out as one of the most highly anticipated within our organization as well as the close community of musicians and great lovers of new music that we have become friends with over the years.

Burton Greene has been a brilliant, tireless, path-cutting artist for over 40 years beginning prominently

in the avante garde jazz scene in New York around 1960 and joining the jazz composers guild in 1964.

Cautioning not to be prolix in this press release, and trusting, dear journalist, that you might already be well aware that when it come to playing with important figures in jazz, being a part of the jazz composers guild in 1964 sets the bar on the top notch. Perhaps it isn’t so much that Burton Greene has played with everyone important you’ve heard of, but that they’ve played with him.

Perry Robinson is a musical treasure, a master of the clarinet, and likely a genius. For the breadth of his career and the depth of his work, I am afraid he probably deserves very much wider recognition. It is no exaggeration to call him one of the very best clarinet talents in the world.

*In addition to this performance, and as part of the Fuse Box festival, Burton and Perry will be interviewed at the Modern Aural Sculpture Symposium South {M.A.S.S.S.} to be held Friday April 24th, and Saturday April 25th at the Acton School of Business at 1404 east Riverside Dr.

The interview is scheduled for 12:30 PM on Friday the 24th at the Acton School, conducted by cultural maven, music writer, jazz historian, and mad library scientist Clifford Allen, one of the “ten hippest cats in Austin.”

For more information or to make your reservations to attend,

E-mail: modernauralsculpture@gmail.com

Edited by clifford_thornton

Epistrophy Arts presents

Peter Brötzmann, Nasheet Waits and Eric Revis Trio

Thursday, April 30, 2009 8PM

Austin's Historic Victory Grill

1104 E. 11th St.

Peter Brötzmann (Germany) - saxophones, clarinets

Nasheet Waits (New York) - drums

Eric Revis (San Antonio) - bass

advance tickets available at End of An Ear and Waterloo Records

$18 advance, $20 door.

facebook event page

Epistrophy Arts is proud to offer what promises to be one of the biggest jazz shows in Austin this year. The creative sparks will fly at the legendary east-side venue when avant-garde icon Peter Brötzmann joins forces with young American jazz superstars Nasheet Waits and Eric Revis for this landmark collaboration

Present at the very beginning of the European Free Improvisation scene, Peter Brötzmann began his career as a visual artist with connections to the Fluxus movement. After hearing a concert by jazz legend Sidney Bechet, Brötzmann rejected a career in the galleries. He taught himself saxophones and clarinets, played modern jazz influenced by Ornette Coleman, and worked with American greats like Don Cherry and Steve Lacy. Brötzmann developed a style similar to radical American saxophonist Albert Ayler (without much knowledge of Ayler), an uncompromising, screaming cry that challenged itself to greater heights of rage and energy. His landmark 1968 recording "Machine Gun" is a frightening and incendiary slab of sound that (with only acoustic instruments) can measure up to any guitar/electronic noise project happening today. Time has added subtlety and beauty to Brötzmann's sound. Bluesy lyricism and timeless muezzin-like calls emerged in later years. His spools of dark-toned phrases emerge and unravel over pulsing tempos (these days Brötzmann seems to enjoy the heart-like beat of a masterful rhythm section). His music has all the sincerity, natural wisdom, and universal depth that a mature artist can possess. He remains one of the most inspiring and influential saxophone players in jazz and free improvisation.

In this exciting collaboration, Peter Brötzmann is joined by two of the most important members of the current generation of mainstream jazz artists.

Drummer Nasheet Waits is a New York native. His interest in the drums was encouraged by his father, legendary percussionist, Frederick Waits. Waits received his Bachelor of Arts in Music from Long Island University. He studied privately with renowned percussionist Michael Carvin. Carvin’s tutelage provided a vast foundation upon which Waits added influences from his father, as well as mentor Max Roach. It was Roach that first gave Waits' formidable talent international spotlight, hiring him as a member of the famed percussion ensemble M’BOOM. Waits' talent came to the attention of reedman Antonio Hart, who asked him to originate the percussion chair of his first quintet. More recently Waits has been a member of Andrew Hill’s bands, Jason Moran’s Bandwagon, and Fred Hersch’s trio. Moran, bassist Tarus Mateen, and Waits have been deemed, “the most exciting rhythm section in jazz” by JazzTimes. The 2001 recording “Black Stars” with the Bandwagon was named the “Best CD of 2001” in Jazz Times and The New York Times. Waits' recording and performing discography is a veritable "who’s who" in jazz, boasting stints with such notables as Geri Allen, Mario Bauza, Hamiett Bluiett, Ron Carter, Steve Coleman, Stanley Cowell, Stefon Harris, Andrew Hill, Jackie McLean, The Mingus Big Band, Greg Osby, Joshua Redman, and Jacky Terrason.

Grammy-winning bassist Eric Revis has been one of the most solid voices in jazz for over 15 years. The deep-running power of his beat and his potent tone keep him in demand among notable musicians such as Branford Marsalis and Jeff "Tain" Watts. Born in Los Angeles, Revis grew up listening to funk and rock. At 14 he taught himself electric bass. After attending Southern University, Revis relocated to San Antonio for a gig playing 6 nights per week. As Revis worked the gig, fellow band members introduced him to jazz. Discovering this music, Revis switched to acoustic bass. Revis moved to New Orleans to study under Ellis Marsalis, Harold Battiste, and Victor Goines from 1991 to 1992. In 1994, he moved to New York to become the regular bassist for Betty Carter. It did not take long for New York musicians to take a notice. He worked regularly with Billy Harper, Louis Hays, and Lionel Hampton. In 1997, Branford Marsalis asked Revis to join him on his recording "Bug Shot". Since then, Revis has been one of Marsalis' most reliable allies. Rafi Zabor says "Eric Revis seems to me the finest rhythm partner yet to join a working Marsalis group: a terrific band bassist whose work evades casual notice. The lunging, deep-running power of his beat, acuity of accent, and his instinct for the right propulsive run of notes have given this band stronger legs to stand on, and an increased capacity for friendly earthquake."

About Epistrophy Arts:

Epistrophy Arts is a grass-roots cultural organization dedicated to presenting the finest adventurous and improvised music in Austin Texas. Since January of 1998 we have presented over 60 concerts with some of the major figures in international contemporary adventurous music. We want to widen Austin's cultural horizons by showcasing an artform that is artistically vital, but seldom represented in local live performances.

This project is funded in part by individual contributions, The Creative Opportunity Orchestra, The City of Austin through the Cultural Arts Division and by a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts and an award from the National Endowment for the Arts which believes that a great nation deserves great art.

I'll shoot for Saturday. Assume this is connected somehow to the Continental Club?

WHERE: The Boyd Vance Theater at the George Washington Carver Museum & Cultural Center,

$12 admission.

WHY: church of the friendly ghost presents this concert as a part of our ongoing series of performances in creative music.

email churchofthefriendlyghost@gmail.com or call Aaron Mace at 512 786 2015 for more information.

This is yet another momentous occasion for jazz and creative music in Austin for April 2009.

April is jazz appreciation month in Austin, and the community is doing our beautiful city’s reputation justice this year. Just look at the roster of performances this month! Epistrophy Arts brings Ab Barrs & Ken Vandermark to the Victory Grill, NMC brings the music of Alvin Lucier to Ceremony Hall, Fuse Box festival brings Ikue Mori and Zeena Parkins to the Long Center, and over at the Salvage Vanguard we’re hosting Omar Tamez next week. These are some bright points, but not half of everything there will be to hear of this month. Not a month to take living in Austin for granted.

Since 2003, in the course of organizing over 400 performances, this date with Burton Greene and Perry Robinson stands out as one of the most highly anticipated within our organization as well as the close community of musicians and great lovers of new music that we have become friends with over the years.

Burton Greene has been a brilliant, tireless, path-cutting artist for over 40 years beginning prominently

in the avante garde jazz scene in New York around 1960 and joining the jazz composers guild in 1964.

Cautioning not to be prolix in this press release, and trusting, dear journalist, that you might already be well aware that when it come to playing with important figures in jazz, being a part of the jazz composers guild in 1964 sets the bar on the top notch. Perhaps it isn’t so much that Burton Greene has played with everyone important you’ve heard of, but that they’ve played with him.

Perry Robinson is a musical treasure, a master of the clarinet, and likely a genius. For the breadth of his career and the depth of his work, I am afraid he probably deserves very much wider recognition. It is no exaggeration to call him one of the very best clarinet talents in the world.

*In addition to this performance, and as part of the Fuse Box festival, Burton and Perry will be interviewed at the Modern Aural Sculpture Symposium South {M.A.S.S.S.} to be held Friday April 24th, and Saturday April 25th at the Acton School of Business at 1404 east Riverside Dr.

The interview is scheduled for 12:30 PM on Friday the 24th at the Acton School, conducted by cultural maven, music writer, jazz historian, and mad library scientist Clifford Allen, one of the “ten hippest cats in Austin.”

So how was the Burton Greene & Perry Robinson gig & interview???

TUE, APRIL 28

FWIW, I'm going to be in Ft. Worth Tuesday night on another appointment, but that may not end until around 9:00, if not later. I'm still gonna stop by the SCL when I'm done, hopefully be able to catch some of the set.

Stupid me went to the SCJ last Tuesday (the 21st), thinking the gig was that night. And now I can't go tomorrow night, the actual night of the gig!

ARRRRGGHHHH!!!!

$12 admission.

So how was the Burton Greene & Perry Robinson gig & interview???

It was great. I had interviewed Burton before for AAJ, but it was cool to do it in front of an audience and Perry was a blast also. I cooked them dinner at my place, had a lot of fun. My girlfriend, who is a dancer/improviser/choreographer, was invited to dance a couple free pieces with them and it was totally rad. I think there's a chance Burton & Perry will try to come back next year!

TUE, APRIL 28

Stupid me went to the SCJ last Tuesday (the 21st), thinking the gig was that night. And now I can't go tomorrow night, the actual night of the gig!

ARRRRGGHHHH!!!!

We missed you, Al. It was a fun gig. I've not been playing much the last 4-5 years, and that's hard to get around, but Lyles & Jaelun gave such good support that it was impossible not to dig down and play anyway. Not a bad house for a Tuesday night either, a few singles at the bar, and some couples coming in and staying for more than one set, always a good thing in these parts, especially on a weeknight, and especially when there was a Mavs game on. All told, it was a fun night.

Fort Worth is a better music city than Dallas, that's for sure. The rest of it, hey, I don't know about that, but....

Hey, don't sweat it. This was such a "rehab" gig for me in terms of just not having played anything other than (at most) a few lounge/wedding gigs per month for the last 4-5 years that I didn't want to actively encourage anybody I knew to make the trip. But it was fun, and I was really happy to see the whole couples thing going on. With Quartet Out back in the day, couples were often the last to come in and the first to leave :alien: , so I dunno, maybe there's something to be said for playing relatively concise versions of very familiar tunes in a variety of rhythms instead of just "slaying the dragon" for 10-15 minutes a tune. Ya think? :w

Of course, if/when I get my chops back up to speed, I'll probably revert and soon be saying fuck all that shit, ya' know.... :g

But anyway...received via e-mail just this morning:

The Fort Worth Public Library will present tenor saxophonist Red Holloway in a free concert on Thursday, May 7 at 6:30 p.m. at the downtown branch (500 West Third). Pianist Stefan Karlson, bassist James Gilyard and Duane Durrett, drums will accompany Red and vocalist Dino Newman (David’s son).

Go 'head on Fort Worth!

I should have gone to see Queenie Pie, but didn't. Girlfriend was going to go with me, but couldn't, and I didn't go by myself at the last minute.

Anyone see it?

If you still are interested in hearing Duke Ellington's Queenie Pie - Longhorn Records is supposed to release a CD recording of the performance sometime this fall.

Probably not cool to keep plugging my own gig on this thread, but Jimmie Vaughan's playing with me again this weekend May 1 & 2 at The Continental Gallery. Here's my myspace page, so I won't post up anymore on this thread. You can just check the schedule. Thanks.... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=377320315

Edited by Soul Stream

Probably not cool to keep plugging my own gig on this thread, but Jimmie Vaughan's playing with me again this weekend May 1 & 2 at The Continental Gallery. Here's my myspace page, so I won't post up anymore on this thread. You can just check the schedule. Thanks.... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=377320315

I'm interested--please keep posting. I wish you could bring the group to Dallas.

TUE, APRIL 28

ARRRRGGHHHH!!!!

We missed you, Al. It was a fun gig. I've not been playing much the last 4-5 years, and that's hard to get around, but Lyles & Jaelun gave such good support that it was impossible not to dig down and play anyway. Not a bad house for a Tuesday night either, a few singles at the bar, and some couples coming in and staying for more than one set, always a good thing in these parts, especially on a weeknight, and especially when there was a Mavs game on. All told, it was a fun night.

Man, I am SO bummed I missed it! I hope there's a next time. :(

I'm interested--please keep posting. I wish you could bring the group to Dallas.

Yeah, me too! Keep on pimpin'!

Man, I am SO bummed I missed it! I hope there's a next time. :(

I'm sure there will be at some point. I'm not hustling for it (nor did I for this one), but things happen on their own it seems, just not rapidly, which right now is ok by me.

OTOH -

DID YOU SEE THE NEWS ABOUT THE FREE RED HOLLOWAY GIG?

CARPE DIEM!!!

Edited by JSngry

If you prefer to pay money, Red Holloway is also going to be at the Sammons Center in Dallas:

WEDNESDAY, MAY 6, 2009 - 7:00 TO 10:00 P.M.

“Annual Artistic Director’s Concert”

First Set: The Sammons Jazz Ensemble opens this annual blockbuster concert with Artistic Director James Gilyard on bass, Andrew Griffith on drums, Arlington Jones on piano, and Simone Rodgers on vocals.

Featured Artist: Red Holloway, a world famous saxophonist joins the Sammons Jazz Ensemble as the evening’s featured artist. James “Red” Holloway earned his chops in Chicago in the fifties playing with such notables as Billie Holiday, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Sonny Rollins, Lester Young, Joe Williams and many others. He later joined the famous house band at the Parisian Room in Los Angeles. He is known for his hard-driving mainstream modern style.