Problem with Hank Mobley - No room for..

DatDere

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but...

I bought the RVG reissue of Hank Mobley's "No Room For Squares" today. According to both the booklet and the printing on the cd itself, it should have 8 tracks: 5 original takes and 3 bonus tracks. However, the actual disc only has the five original tracks and omits the bonus material. Is this a common error for this disc? My store didn't have any other copies.

Anyway, I'm fairly new to jazz and just heard this album for the first time. I love it, but I'd still like to have the bonus tracks. Should I return it to the store I bought it, or adress Blue Note Europe directly?

Thanks.

You've got every right to be confused about those 'No Room For Squares' issues.

The original vinyl (BN 4149) had tracks from two sessions:

a session with Lee Morgan, Andrew Hill, John Ore, Philly Joe Jones:

- Three Way Split/Carolyn/No Room For Squares/Me 'n You

another Mobley session with Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Buth Warren, Philly Joe Jones:

- Up a Step/Old World, New Imports

When the material was reissued on CD, the complete material from the sessions of it was incorporated on the following CDs:

- No Room for Squares,

- The Turnaroud,

- Straight No Filter

All three are very worthy purchases. Good luck and enjoy the music!

Never heard or read of this error. If only the bonus tracks were missing, there should still have been 6 tracks instead of 5. Did you check the timings of the tracks? Maybe you got a whole other album which has the Mobley info printed on it. Such mistakes are known to happen. You may count yourself lucky you at least ended up with jazz music and you got an album you like on top of that!

Maybe you got a whole other album which has the Mobley info printed on it. Such mistakes are known to happen.

A definite possibility.

What I'm also wondering is whether you bought a new (sealed) copy of the CD, or perhaps a used copy? If it was used, someone could have switched an older disc in there. I know this was out in the mid-90's with 8 tracks, but I've forgotten if there was an earlier CD issue (under the "No Room..." title) without the bonus tracks.

The issues of this material is always a confusing topic to discuss. :blink:

I'm pretty sure it's the right album, because the track timings match up and I recognized the title track from a Blue Note compilation I have. I re-read the liner notes and you are correct in saying that the original album should contain 6 tracks instead of 5. Weird, I guess I'll just take it back to the store tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement... I picked this one up new, but unsealed.

Thank for clarifying the session details for me, I will definitely pick up those other Mobley albums as well. There's so much good jazz music for me to discover.. :wub:

Edited by DatDere

When the material was reissued on CD, the complete material from the sessions of it was incorporated on the following CDs:

- No Room for Squares,

- The Turnaroud,

- Straight No Filter

All three are very worthy purchases. Good luck and enjoy the music!

uh yes! :tup

Get all the three! Most highly recommended!

Hope you can get a replacement!

I always thought the original CD reissues of this material were pretty smart - same for the "Sermon"/"House Party" sessions - someone put some thought into it. Are the 3 Mobley titles mentioned above still available in that format?

I think you should think again!

Well, strictly spoken, he's at least not entirely wrong - unless someone comes along and writes some lyrics (or has Jon H. been there, already?), "Blues on the Corner" is more what they call a "tune" than a "song"... but if it's there or not is another thing :P

And now allow me to use some of the new smilies for the first time: :beee::blush::rofl::crazy:

Well, the first line is, "ska-DO-dippy-bah-BAHH", and the rest just sort of elaborates on that. You know, typical lyric stuff.

I must confess, I'm duly impressed! Poop-a-do (how vulgar, Herr Couwenberg!) must be a true humanist! If he does not win the nobel prize for "typical lyrical" stuff... humanity is a lost cause! :g