New Joshua Redman and SFJazz

Alexander

I got both of these when they were released last week. The new Redman solo disc, backed by his "Elastic" band, is much better than his previous release. Yahel seems to have more opportunity to stretch and all the guest stars help stir the pot a bit.

The SFJazz Collective disc is fantastic. Really worth checking out. How can you go wrong with a line-up consisting of Redman, Bobby Hutcherson, Miguel Zenon, Nicholas Payton, Brian Blade and Renee Rosnes?! Exceptional playing and writing all around. About half of the album (which was recorded in concert at various dates last spring) is made up of Ornette Coleman compositions, and they really go to town. It's particularly nice hearing Bobby Hutcherson do "Una Muy Bonita" again.

Anyone else hear these? Have an opinion? I give them :tup:tup

There is a thread somewhere on this board about the 3 disc live album from SF Jazz Collective that you can order from the website. I believe the new release on Nonesuch is drawn from this 3 disc set. Very good music.

Looking forward to hearing the new Elastic Band disc. I really enjoyed the last one, as well as the YaYa 3 disc.

Does anyone know for certain whether the new SFJazz disc contains tracks from the 3 disc set? I already have the 3 disc set and would not want to purchase something that duplicates what I already have. On the other hand, if there are not duplicates I want the new disc.

Edited by relyles

Does anyone know for certain whether the new SFJazz disc contains tracks from the 3 disc set?  I already have the 3 disc set and would not want to purchase something that duplicates what I already have.  On the other hand, if there are not duplicates I want the new disc.

My understanding is that the new disc *is* culled from the three disc set.

Of course, I didn't know about the existence of the three disc set until I bought the single disc. Might have to grab the three disc set at some point.

These are te tracks from the 3CD-set:

Disc 1:

Ornette Coleman – Phrase Text, Inc. (ASCAP)

1. School Work (10:07)

2. Una Muy Bonita (12:06)

3. Loney Woman (12:35)

4. When Will the Blues Leave (4:47)

5. Peace (10:06)

6. Happy House (9:19).

Disc 2:

1. Lingala (12:24) – Miguel Zenon – Mazenon Music, BMI

2. Rise and Fall (14:20) – Joshua Redman – Shedroff Music, BMI

3. March Madness (8:47) – Bobby Hutcherson – Nosre Music, BMI

4. From Darkness to Light (8:30) – Nicholas Payton – Payton’s Publishing, BMI

Disc 3:

1. Of This Day’s Journey (13:31) – Renee Rosnes – Native Colors Music, BMI

2. Wages (15:36) – Brian Blade – Middle Way Music, BMI

3. Overground (Invocation) (13:37) – Josh Roseman – Josh Roseman, BMI

4. Fred Sanford Went to Spain to Siesta (12:53) – Robert Hurst – Bebob Music, BMI.

And the following tracks are from the single CD release:

1.Lingala

2.Peace

3.Of This Day's Journey

4.When Will the Blues Leave

5.Rise And Fall

6.Una Muy Bonita

7.March Madness

All of the material was previously released on the 3CD set!

Pretty soon they will be releasing another 3 CD set from this year's concerts, which were a mix of Coltrane compositions and original tunes. Sal, sheldonm and I caught them in Chicago, and they were great, so I will be pre-ordering this.

It partly made up for missing Bobby at the Jazz Showcase due to my extensive traveling.

I got both of these when they were released last week.  The new Redman solo disc, backed by his "Elastic" band, is much better than his previous release. 

I've heard a couple of cuts on KCSM from the Redman disc that were enough to push it onto my "want list". Not my usual cup of tea, but that's all the more reason for it to be there. Interesting stuff!

I already have the 3 disc set and would not want to purchase something that duplicates what I already have.  On the other hand, if there are not duplicates I want the new disc.

So it's that good, eh? Well in that case I'll at least add the single disc to my list.

Alfred and other non US citizens......I ordered the set thought the site and sent them an email explaining my country was the Netherlands and not the US. The reply was OK no problem we'll ship it to you (for the same shipping fee). Got it within a week so thumbs up for the SF Jazz org.

I also pre ordered the next set. So you can tell I really like it.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Elastic Band album is really good. Where as the first album was also good, it sounded at times like he wasn't too sure what to do with the band now that he had the creative control (unlike YaYa3, which was more of a Yahel disc). With this one, everything just sounds tighter. The beats are funky, the musicianship is top notch, and the songs contain lots of memorable melodies. A great one for summer.

Edited by sal

The new Elastic Band album is really good.  Where as the first album was also good, it sounded at times like he wasn't too sure what to do with the band now that he had the creative control (unlike YaYa3, which was more of a Yahel disc).  With this one, everything just sounds tighter.  The beats are funky, the musicianship is top notch, and the songs contain lots of memorable melodies.  A great one for summer.

Agreed. I'm loving the version of Led Zeppelin's "The Crunge" with Flea on bass. It's a natural!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a comment that tomorrow is the last day to get the discount on the 2005 SF Jazz set, which features Coltrane compositions, as well as new compositions by Hutcherson, Rosnes, Redman, etc. As mentioned above, they do ship outside the US, though it is best to drop them an email and explain the situation, especially if billing is going to be tricky. Basically, they told me to put the foreign address in the comments section of the order form.

SF Jazz Store

• 4 months later...

NEW SFJAZZ COLLECTIVE CD SET NOW IN STOCK

Just in time for the holidays, the new Limited Edition SFJAZZ Collective CD set, Live 2005: 2nd Annual Concert Tour, is now on sale in person and online through the SFJAZZ Store. This deluxe package includes two CDs of tracks from this year’s Collective tour—one recording apiece of every song in the ensemble’s 2005 repertoire, including works by John Coltrane and originals by the Collective members—along with a specially commissioned liner-note essay by noted Coltrane scholar Lewis Porter, insider details on the Collective and its music, and more.

This one-of-a-kind CD set has been released by SFJAZZ Records in a limited, numbered edition of just 3,000 copies. So act now to guarantee a copy for yourself and for the jazz fans on your holiday shopping list.

Special note to all who pre-ordered the CD set: Your orders have now been shipped and will be arriving shortly. Thank you for your patience, and we hope you enjoy the music! :excited::party:

Yeah, I noticed the other day they charged my credit card, so it should be on its way! Not sure why it is a 2-disc rather than 3-disc set, but if everything fits and it includes the Coltrane material, it's ok by me. My one suggestion to improve the release would be to indicate where each track was taped. It would be quite cool if one of the tracks was recorded in Chicago!

Anyway, it looks like they will be touring again in the spring and coming to London in April, so I will definitely try to make it.