Weird

Placed an order for 2 Byrd/Adams sets today via Mosiac web-site. One for me, one for a friend; and got this email from Mosaic -

Thank you for your recent order for the Byrd/Adams. As you are aware the set is on Last Chance and all of our customers have not yet received the catalog and therefore have not been advised of the situation. As many customers wait

until the set is running low, we want to afford them the opportunity to

purchase the set and therefore we are only processing single sets for

customers. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs!

I wonder if members of the Politburo are aware...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too had a kink when I ordered my copy last Fiday.

When it came to check-out time, I was informed there were no shipping details available and that shipping would be sorted out later.

I immediately sent an email requesting express air; the email was acknowledged, so I presume it has been shipped - although normally I would've received it by now.

Placed an order for 2 Byrd/Adams sets today via Mosiac web-site. One for me, one for a friend; and got this email from Mosaic -

Thank you for your recent order for the Byrd/Adams. As you are aware the set is on Last Chance and all of our customers have not yet received the catalog and therefore have not been advised of the situation. As many customers wait

customers.  We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

customers.  We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

For them to refuse a sale, this thing must be FLYING out the door. :o

For them to refuse a sale, this thing must be FLYING out the door. :o

Still pretty damn weird. They've never done this before... I wonder if this set isn't being speculated on? Maybe they've been getting some big multiple-set orders? That's about the only thing I can guess. Even then, it still doesn't make much sense to me from a business point of view. Why alienate a good customer like Dmitry to protect a "potential" sale for a customer who hasn't gotten the latest catlog? It's not like the Byrd set just got added. You snooze, you loose.

I guess I can forget about that 5 set order I was planning. :D

In the past there were several sets that got snapped up last minute by a shop in Japan doing a bulk purchase - the Grant Green/Sonny Clark comes to mind. I wonder if something similar is happening here?

Can't say I blame Mosaic for doing this.

I guess they have to make sure that their customer base in Outer Mongolia/Borneo/South Georgia who are not hooked up to the Internet get a chance to buy the set... :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

Interesting. The note from Mosaic does seem odd from a business perspective. To refuse a sale isn't very 'business like' in my opinion. Mosaic must be confident in its ability to sell the remaining sets.

Still, if I had 100 sets remaining and a single purchaser wanted all 100 sets, I'd sell the 100 and be done with the sale.

I'm curious as to what Mosaic's sales practices will be when the Mobley set finally goes to Last Chance.

Edited by wesbed

Interesting. The note from Mosaic does seem odd from a business perspective. To refuse a sale isn't very 'business like' in my opinion. Mosaic must be confident in its ability to sell the remaining sets.

Still, if I had 100 sets remaining and a single purchaser wanted all 100 sets, I'd sell the 100 and be done with the sale.

If you heard that Mosaic sold the remainder of its "last chance" stock to a single purchaser so that they could "be done with the sale," disregarding their many loyal customers...and if that single purchaser then turned around and started selling the sets at a substantial mark up...my guess is that you'd be pissed off. They're just trying to protect their customer base, and rightly so.

By the way, this approach is very common in retail business. Does the phrase "Quantities are limited - one per customer" sound at all familiar?

what gdogus said.

they have always had a bullet splash on the catalog and since this bellied up on it's license and went direct to "last chance" with no "running low" in the past mailing they are in fact just looking out for the customers who did not get the catalog. i think that's all they are saying. simple. good for them. pity the poor customer who needs more.

I think the whole thing is silly.

What is keeping Mosaic from approaching the labels that leased the material for a second run? The leasing label gets more cash, more people get sets for non-ridiculous prices, and Mosaic makes money too.

I can understand if a set times out. But, if a set sold well, or clearly has the potential to move many copies again [as evidenced by high OOP sale values] they are doing everyone a disservice by sticking loyally to this odd notion of limited edition. It seems entirely self-limiting and an exercise in marketing chicanery.

Could Mosaic be naively obsequious when it comes to that label relationship? For example, Weren't the Jimmy Giuffre Atlantic sides leased to Collectibles at the same time the Mosaic set was out? If not at the same time, then the time frame was quite close. Collectibles has made no indication that their lease is limited [which would be to their advantage if it were the case, one would think.]

What about making those first runs of 3500 or 5000 like books, and call them "first editions." The collectors can get off on having something rare, and the rest of us can get the music, should we come onto the scene a couple of years late.

All that said, I think they do good work, and I own several sets myself. I have gone from being enamored with the idea of limited runs and exclusivity to quite disdainful of it.

I think this makes a lot of sense, customer service-wise and business-wise.

It's the shipping, man, the shipping! By limiting orders to 1, they get $8 shipping. To ship 6 sets, or 100 sets, they get $16. They are not worried at all about having any leftover stock if they refuse to sell multiple sets to a single buyer. They make more money, and more customers are happy.

Time to place my order!

wow that is weird... You should call them and talk to them about it...

I usually order via the web but I had a feeling it would be slower than if I called, so I called my order in....

AND.... on a related but different note....

I think this is a board first... (At least in my era)....

"obsequious" .... Wow...

didn't know I needed to use a dictionary to read the board... Good job!!! Always keeping us on our toes....!

Just look at what sellers are asking for the two recently deceased Vee Jay Mosaics and I think what you're seeing is concern on Mosaic's part that sets are being ordered for the kind appreciation that has nothing to do with the music. I don't have a problem with this. If it really is all about the music and if we truly believe that the Mosaic operation is as altruistic as any in this business, then I think you have to buy into their argument that they are trying to make any "last chance" box available to as many customers as possible. Call me naive, geez, call me irresponsible, but that's the way I see it.

Up over and out.

People posting this thread seem to be missing the first post... Dmitry tried to order two sets. That's it. Just two. That's not someone speculating, just someone who wants a second copy. What's to say that if I call and try to order one set today and their computer shows the other one I ordered 4 years ago? Do they tell me, "Sorry, our records show that you already bought one"?

Put a limit, sure, but a limit of one? No way.

Kevin

And by the way, this Byrd/Adams is a very good set to give away as a gift. It's not too big and has some great music. It had certainly crossed my mind to order another copy of this as a gift for the future but obviously, I couldn't call up today and order a few.

And FWIW, I bet I could call and order 50 copies of any other set.

Speculation is a result of their popularity. Would Mosaic want it the other way around?

Kevin

And by the way, this Byrd/Adams is a very good set to give away as a gift. It's not too big ...

I must say that this is an unrelated beef of mine with the sets, not considering the Selects. Eight of the last ten CD sets have been 7 or 8 discs. This is likely a function of the amount of material. I will say it is also a function of them not ending up on the $helf in my flat. :rfr

If you heard that Mosaic sold the remainder of its "last chance" stock to a single purchaser so that  they could "be done with the sale," disregarding their many loyal customers...and if that single purchaser then turned around and started selling the sets at a substantial mark up...my guess is that you'd be pissed off.

And... your guess would be incorrect. It's not the fault nor the responsibility of Mosaic to make sure that 'I' get a copy of a certain title before it goes out of print. It's the responsibility of 'me' and me alone. If a single purchaser comes along with the money and the desire to have, say, the last 100 sets... Mosaic should sell the sets to that excellent customer. The more Mosaic sells, the more profitable the company is, hopefully, and the more new sets the company can introduce to sell to me.

What about making those first runs of 3500 or 5000 like books, and call them "first editions."  The collectors can get off on having something rare, and the rest of us can get the music, should we come onto the scene a couple of years late.

The original concept of the "Select" sets was like this. They were going to make a limited quantity of numbered sets available through Mosaic and then afterwards sell the same set with slightly different packaging, higher price and without numbers to the retail market.

I think they have changed that strategy since the original roll-out, though.

If you heard that Mosaic sold the remainder of its "last chance" stock to a single purchaser so that  they could "be done with the sale," disregarding their many loyal customers...and if that single purchaser then turned around and started selling the sets at a substantial mark up...my guess is that you'd be pissed off.

I really, really wish that some single purchaser would call Mosaic today and buy all of the remaining stock of "The Complete CBS Recordings of Eddie Condon (#152)"!! It might be the only way they ever get those things off their books. :)

Kevin

I think that the main reason for this limit by customer for this last chance set is ... eBay. On the other thread about the Byrd/Adams they mention that someone bought 6 copies and where will go at least five of theses copies ?? ... eBay for sure (OOP = $$$). And almost sure that it's not the only multiple buy that was made. It's sure that 2 copies is not a lot but may be the have to put a very low limit because the stock is so low.

I have to think Mosaic has a very loyal customer base and that that loyalty is recpriocal. Point being, the fact that everyone may not have been made aware of the scarcity of the Byrd/Adams set at the same time has resulted in Mosaic's somewhat awkward attempt to level the playing field and give all their customers a fair shot. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Speaking of "wrong" I think it's wrong to extrapolate from this that it's now their policy on all " Last Chance" sets. That remains to be seen.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I think that the main reason for this limit by customer for this last chance set is ... eBay. On the other thread about the Byrd/Adams they mention that someone bought 6 copies and where will go at least five of theses copies ?? ... eBay for sure (OOP = $$$). And almost sure that it's not the only multiple buy that was made. It's sure that 2 copies is not a lot but may be the have to put a very low limit because the stock is so  low.

Michel - going to the jazz festival? I've made my plans to be there from June 30 - July 4. I'm dissappointed a little in that I'm going to miss all the Pat Metheny performances.

On topic, I'm okay with the limit. Happens all the time at the local supermarket, and there, they are only talking about consumables. Mosaics at the end of their run are unique when you take ebay into account.