"Permanently Banned"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I live in Dan's neck of the woods and do shop at the same Border's but have no complaints with that particular store. Similarly, I've never had a problem with the Walgreen's (different branch than Dan - there' s practically one every half mile down here) I frequent.

Stores that I avoid or very rarely frequent:

Lowe's - every time I could not get what I needed at this store, Home Depot had it so I just don't go to Lowe's anymore. Case in point, two A/C filters of unusual dimensions, Home Depot had 'em, Lowe's did not.

Office Max - Office Depot and the less frequent in these parts, Staples, kick their ass every time.

Winn Dixie - they've declared bankruptcy for a reason; Publix is far superior down here on so many levels, e.g., cleanliness, gourmet choices of foods, quality prepared dinners, fresh fish, etc.

Barnes & Noble - don't get me wrong here. Great looking stores, terrific choice of books, CDs, etc., but too goddamn expensive. Discounts are minimal and they try to hook you every time at the counter with a membership fee that will entitle you to nominal discounts on merchandise. I found I'm much better off browsing there and then ordering from Amazon.com, and other online distributors.

That's about it for now.

never been in a McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks

:o You are kidding, right?

Certainly, McDonalds needs the Islets of Langerhans much more than the Isles need McDonald. But if all is well in the Isles, a few McDonalds wouldn't hurt, would it?

A local taxi company.

Several times I ordered taxis with them and they turned up 10- 15 minutes late. Okay, not a big deal.

So this one Saturday night I have a gig and need a taxi to take me to a train station. I figure it'll be tough to get a cab last minute on a Saturday night, so I do the sensible thing and book one a couple days in advance. Done. ^_^

So, it's Saturday night. The cab is 10 minutes late. I phone them. Where's the cab I booked? "What name?" I tell them. "Errr.... what time was it booked for?" 7pm. "I'm afraid I have no record of a booking for that name or time." Well, I won't repeat exactly what I said but the gist was that they had damn well better get a taxi here and pronto. "Certainly... ten minutes..." :huh:

Ten minutes go by. Nothing. After 15 minutes I phone them again. Is this taxi coming? "Yes, he's in traffic but he'll be with you in a minute." Okay, he'd better be. :(

The cab is now over half an hour late. I am ringing other taxi companies, none of whom have anything available. It's Saturday night. I consider walking to the train station, a schlepp of about half an hour, even when not laden with two saxophones and various paraphernalia. I'm due on a stage 20 miles away in an hour. I can still make it. :beee:

Another ten minutes elapse. I ring them again and unload a string of expletives. "We're trying to get a cab to you as quickly as we can, but we're very busy. It's Saturday night! " :unsure:

"YES, I KNOW. THAT'S WHY I BOOKED!!!" :angry:

Fuckwits. :angry::angry::angry:

The cab finally arrives 45 minutes late. I sound off to the driver about it not being good enough, booked in advance, paying good money, yadayadayada... and this guy says "Yeah, they're all fucking idiots at control. Happens all the time." :blink:

Oh, well, now I don't feel so bad... :huh:

Anyway, got to the train station, just as a train was pulling in and got to the gig by the skin of my still grinding teeth. It wasn't quite Bird arriving midway through the first number, playing as he walks in... but it wasn't far off. ^_^

Anyway, there's a taxi company that won't be getting any more money from me. :beee:

Apart from that....

anything made in China

McDonalds

Coca-Cola

never been in a McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks

:o You are kidding, right?

Nope. I live a rather "unusual" lifestyle as compared to the "norm" (or so I've been told).

Certainly, McDonalds needs the Islets of Langerhans much more than the Isles need McDonald.  But if all is well in the Isles, a few McDonalds wouldn't hurt, would it?

I could well imagine what it would do to the electrical activity of my Islets.

My home:

islets.jpg

---

Now playing: Art Ensemble Of Chicago - People In Sorrow (Part II)

Wal-mart, for the same reasons others have.

There are a few restaurants that, while not on my "permanently banned" list, I would never go to of my own volition. (If friends are making the plans, I'll suck it up and go.)

They include:

Chili's (wildly overrated by some)

The Cheesecake Factory (awful atmosphere and a ridiculous "no reservations" policy that ensures you're going to be sitting on your ass in a mall for 45 minutes just so the restaurant can give the impression that the place is really popular by always having 25 people standing outside the door)

Bartley's Burgers down the street in Harvard Square (cramped seating, loud, somewhat overrated burgers, definitely not worth the long lines on weekends)

After a bad experience with some rancid chicken at Burger King, I swore off both BK and McDonald's until this year, but broke down because BK was the only place to eat in the airport and we were starving.

Oh yeah, forgot to note that Gillette is currently on my shit list. My electric Oral-B toothbrush got recalled, I didn't find out about it until maybe a year later, sent in my toothbrush three or four months ago, and still haven't received a replacement. I haven't yet called to follow up, though, so there's still some chance of redemption. (and maybe it was a fuckup on my end...never sure with these things.)

After working at Avis Car Rental for a summer, I learned enough about the company to never want to rent a car from them.

I doubt I'll ever buy another computer from Dell again, given their complete mishandling of customer service. The next computer I own may be home-built.

Not a company, but as I mentioned in another thread, I'll never watch another Bruce Willis flick after seeing Armageddon. What a jingoistic, intelligence-insulting piece of shit. I'm so repelled by Quentin Tarantino's personality that I've avoided seeing most of his movies, too.

I'll only go to the Blue Note in NYC if I think it's the LAST chance I have to see the artist. A terrible club, IMO.

Edited by Big Wheel

Re: the Knitting Factory. I could never hate a place where I got to read my own poetry (in the Red Room of the old Knitting Factory) or saw a great, great, great reunion gig - Camper Van Beethoven in 2003 (I think). But to each his or her own.

On the locally banned list, there is a Wendy's in the Chicago Loop that I never go in any more. There was an extremely aggressive panhandler in there who threatened me when I refused (twice) to give him any money. The management and staff did nothing to try to clear the guy out. Ironically, being a vegetarian I really do avoid fast food restaurants, and Wendy's is about the only one I ever go in, since you can get a real salad or potato.

The Cheesecake Factory (awful atmosphere and a ridiculous "no reservations" policy that ensures you're going to be sitting on your ass in a mall for 45 minutes just so the restaurant can give the impression that the place is really popular by always having 25 people standing outside the door)

I've only eaten there once, and I must admit, I really liked the food I got. But for heaven's sake, don't order the cheesecake! Talk about bland...

But for heaven's sake, don't order the cheesecake! Talk about bland...

Seriously? You're the only person I've ever seen/heard comment that they didn't like Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. I love the stuff, and have had at least 10 of their flavors. What kind did you have?