Quadromania Box Sets?

Do you know how they compare to the "Proper" boxes?

Well, the notes are much better on the proper boxes. There are none on these new ones.

Like I said, the sound is fine, actually very good, and the 4 CDs come in a really neat box that is only slightly wider than a normal CD box.

I bought Don Byas, Fletcher Henderson, Ben Webster, Teddy Wilson, Errol Garner,

Jimmy Lunceford, Bobby Hacket, Kid Ory, Earl Hines and Red Allen.

Apparently there are a 100 of them.

I paid £5 but in the rest of Europe they are 4€.

• 2 months later...

I bought 14 4-CD sets (they have 100) from www.jpc.de for $5.29 a piece (collectors choice sells it for about $20). The shipping from Germany was $13.77 (flat price). These Quadromania sets that are made by Membran International, and a cheap way to

sample an artist before paying a premium on Ebay, etc. You can get alot of music for

$100 and they take very little space since the jewel box is only about 1.25 times the size of a standard one. Those that haw passed on O'Day, Hodges, Ory, Bailey, Hacket,

Teagarden, etc Mosaic Boxes can get an idea if they want to still seak them, and for those like myself who bought some of these sets from Mosaic, these inexpensive sets fill

in some gaps. There are some blues artists and vocalists also.

For those that are conserned about the greater than 50 year royalty stuff - there probably are none paid. But I did read that Blue Mitchell's widow received nearly 20 times the amount of royalties for one song (that he wrote and) that was used by a rap/newage group than for all the other recordings he took part of. I think the whole

royalty argument cannot have a black and white answer for many of the artists signed away their rights or renegotiated for less or never earned enough to pay back the advances, so its clear - clear as mud. But incase I'm wrong, I went to confession twice - once for me and once for you.

I found a few of them on amazon for $6.49....(not all of them)

1. Feat. Eddie Condon/Pee Wee Russell & Jack Teagarde by Bobby Hackett

2. Bolero at the Savoy by Anita O'day

3. Wrappin' It Up by Fletcher Henderson

4. You Rascal You by Clarence Williams

5. Blue Prelude by Charlie Ventura

6. Well Git It by Tommy Dorsey

7. Bud's Bubble by Bud Powell

oh, I didn't know Bessie Smith was white! :excited:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/jazz/detail/-/hnum...ome/rsk/hitlist

• 1 year later...

Interestingly enough, last night I just listened to a Harry James Quadromania 4-CD set I bought years ago.

It sucks if you own a somewhat audiophile system.

Each and every CD has been no-noised to death.

Membran has put out some good stuff recently, but these late 90s/early 2000s sets are horrible.

Disclaimer: If you just want the music cheap, you play it in the car/on some boom box, or you just want to have a starting reference point, these sets can't be beat. I think I paid a Euro or two for 4 jam-packed CDs with Harry James.

I saw stacks and heaps of these in Canada, and there's a couple of places on the web where they can be ordered for $5 (with no US shipping charge on orders over $50), but I can't bring myself to buying this kind of grey-market stuff. ...like I'm going to file it among my Mosaics and such.

I saw stacks and heaps of these in Canada, and there's a couple of places on the web where they can be ordered for $5 (with no US shipping charge on orders over $50), but I can't bring myself to buying this kind of grey-market stuff. ...like I'm going to file it among my Mosaics and such.

Do you keep your Mosaics on some kind of elaborate, candle-lit shrine and feel compelled to genuflect each time you walk past them or something? :D They're just CDs!

Do you keep your Mosaics on some kind of elaborate, candle-lit shrine and feel compelled to genuflect each time you walk past them or something? :D They're just CDs!

I have a shrine for my Mosaics. :ph34r:

Man, the candles I've lit there have cost more than what I've spent on those cheapo CDs these past two to ten years.

Just CDs? I'd disagree (in a non-confrontational, semi-light-hearted way). They're trash. The packaging is ugly and frequently mis-glued, torn or ill-fitting. The CD holders/retainers are junky, and on the first five that I looked at (to look at the poorly-written, mis-spelling-plagued liner notes) had completely broken retainer splines (the evidence in the form of dozens of bits of broken black plastic inside the package. The CD flip hinges were also broken on at least three of the packages. Keep in mind that these were all new/sealed. The shop proprietor opened the package in my presence.

So no, I'm not worried about some sort of 'contamination', but it would rather sicken me to look at a shelf (I even have nice shelves for my music!) and see a bunch of leaning boxes swimming in a cesspool of their own broken plastic.

• 1 year later...

Okay I went back and looked at this thread.... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

so I get it... They don't pay royalties (due to differences in European licensing).... and there are no liner notes/discographical info. But on the positive side... They sound good, are ridiculously cheap and are a very good introduction to an artist you don't know anything about? I also saw something that despite their 4 CD nature... they are physically not much bigger than a single CD. Is that a good synopsis???

If so... I might have to grab a few of these..... :D :D :D

Okay I went back and looked at this thread.... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

so I get it... They don't pay royalties (due to differences in European licensing).... and there are no liner notes/discographical info. But on the positive side... They sound good, are ridiculously cheap and are a very good introduction to an artist you don't know anything about? I also saw something that despite their 4 CD nature... they are physically not much bigger than a single CD. Is that a good synopsis???

If so... I might have to grab a few of these..... :D :D :D

To reiterate what Digit said - the packaging is awful. All the sets I've bought have most of the clamp teeth broken and other broken bits appear to be common, too. This seems to come as standard; if you want the de luxe version, perhaps the CDs will be broken, too :D

I ditch the cases and just put the CDs in little paper envelopes in the box, together with the lame excuse for discographical notes.

But they really are a good way of becoming acquainted with someone you wouldn't otherwise go into in the same depth. But acquainted is the right word. I bought the Gene Ammons set a few weeks ago - not because I needed to become acquainted with Jug :) but because I thought I'd get a few of the early tracks I haven't got. I only got five I didn't already have and, checking up on what was there and what wasn't, I got a decidedly "not very good" feeling about the selection. If this also is standard - and the other presentation points don't give me much hope for it to be any different - then I'm getting a feeling that it's best to sort out which artist you've found that you're REALLY interested in - Cab Calloway in my case - and try to get a better set of those people (if indeed you can). But I do fear that for some people - Cab may be one of them - Quadromania may turn out to be as good as it gets, because no rival company wants to do a well packaged, good sounding, comprehensive, set with decent notes and a sound discography for some bands, about whom few people care.

MG

This Mozart Symphony box with Ernest Bour, which I've seen recently at Half-Price Books, is a gem:

http://www.amazon.de/The-Essential-Symphon...2786&sr=1-7

or in English but without sound samples:

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Symphonies-No...3106&sr=1-2

Got mine a couple of years ago.

Don't know about any of their jazz stuff. Would be reluctant there on moral grounds in any case.