Charles Brackeen

John B

what about the MUCH more obscure Booker T., who's one Silkheart side I remember digging a lot upon release? (more so than David S. Ware even, who I enjoyed at the time (but not now); wish he'd kept on the Rahsaan path suggested there, alas.)

c (young old-timer)

You hear this one, clem? http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=29476

what about the MUCH more obscure Booker T., who's one Silkheart side I remember digging a lot upon release? (more so than David S. Ware even, who I enjoyed at the time (but not now); wish he'd kept on the Rahsaan path suggested there, alas.)

c (young old-timer)

Clem - Booker T. has his own Silkheart release, and he's also on Dennis Charles' Queen Mary on Silkheart. I like that one a lot - tho I have to admit that I'm a big Dennis Charles fan, so my listening is not without bias.

• 17 years later...
On 7/19/2005 at 7:23 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Not a fan of Joanne (as a musician) but you don't know what was being repaid (financially and emotionally) in that settlement (if it is true). I do not think we need to go there.

bump because enjoying Joanne on Freddie Hubbard "Sweet Return" including her own tune, "Heidi B," and of course thoughts of Charles Brackeen come up. With Roy Haynes, Eddie Gomez, Lew Tabackin.

Are people aware that Joanne and Charles had FOUR children together? Think about that when we understandably lament Charles' last 35+ years or longer, i.e. there was obviously MUCH more going on there than we as fans knew (or know).

"Joanne Brackeen grew up in California and taught herself jazz piano from listening to records. She moved to New York to be closer to the heartbeat of the jazz scene — so close that, in the late '60s, her apartment was around the corner from the fabled East Village club Slug's. One night, with her four small children tucked in, Brackeen ran down to Slug's to hear Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Blakey's pianist was elsewhere, so Brackeen slid onto the bench and started to play, and the next thing you know, Blakey hired her and took her to Japan. That story says something about both musicians. Not many women played in the top bands then; it was radical."

https://www.npr.org/2008/11/13/96915298/joanne-brackeen-a-maelstrom-on-the-keys

Edited by MomsMobley

Since this thread was completly unknown to me and I don´t know what was the reason that it was brought to live after almost a decade, I just can say that I got to hear Charles Brackeen´s "Rhythm X" about 45 years ago at a friends place. This guy, as all my friends back then, was some years older than me and had a huge collection mostly of Free Jazz as most of my buddies. 

I think, everything that was round and had a hole in the middle AND had Billy Higgins or Ed Blackwell , Charlie Haden or Henry Grimes, and most of all Don Cherry on it, was in his collection. I was an Ornette-Cherry freak too and so he did spin "Rhythm X", which seemed to be an extremly rare record that I never had seen in the record stores. 

I made a tape of it. I think, it was so near to Ornette Coleman´s music, so I did and do like it very much.

Since I eventually lost the tape (casette) or it got destroyed after so many decades, I re-bought the Mozaic box of Strata East recordings just for that one record. It was the only reason I bought that 5 CD set.