Evan Parker

7/4

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review of Saturday night here:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/evan-parker-70th-birthday-celebration-kings-place

And here:

http://www.marlbank.net/lives/1616-evan-parker-70th-birthday-celebration-kings-place-london

And here:

http://thebluemoment.com/2014/04/05/evan-parker-wstrings/

And if you missed it, you could try Canterbury Cathedral on May 4th for a different birthday bash:

http://www.canterbury.co.uk/Canterbury-Evan-Parker-70th-Birthday-Concert/details/?dms=3&feature=1079&venue=3033503

Looks like a fine way to spend a bank holiday.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Evan is playing at the North Sea Jazz Festival with John Escreet's trio which us the quartet I saw last September, I would think. John Hebert and Tyshawn Sorey wre on bass and drums. Word was that they recorded a day or two after the show. Maybe the recording is coming out - good that they are playing together again if it is, in fact, the same quartet.

Reading a few new and old threads focusing on tenor players, for me although I enjoy many past and present, nobody does it for me like Evan Parker on tenor. Listened to the 17:35 minute duo with Paul Lyttin this AM from the Mad Dogs box and it probably isn't out of the ordinary for Parker on tenor, what stands out in his improvising in this sort of context(duo with drums) are a few things - one is that it is duo the whole way through - and that for 17 minutes he is never lacking for ideas or inspiration.

And this isn't necessarily a standout performance - look to disc 4 with Agusti Fernandez joining the famous trio. Listen to the whole first piece - it's a bit over 24 minutes, I think - but what happens in the last 5 to 6 minutes is beyond extraordinary. A tenorman over 65 isn't supposed to be able to play like he did 15 to 20 years ago - but he does. And last fall he played as good or better than he did in 2009 or 1999.

Casual brilliance? Maybe for some but I don't take it likely.

Information on Evan Parker's upcoming US tour.
(Some dates are not yet finalized)
The Stone residency

Tuesday September 9th, 8pm Evan Parker and Chris Corsano; 10pm ??

Wednesday September 10th 8pm Peter Evans, Evan Parker, John Hebert; 10pm Peter Evans, Evan Parker, John Hebert, Jim Black

Thursday September 11th 8pm Matthew Shipp and Evan Parker; 10pm Nate Wooley, Jeremiah Cymerman and Evan Parker

Friday September 12th 8 & 10pm Rocket Science: Peter Evans, Craig Taborn, Sam Pluta, Evan Parker

Saturday September 13th 8 & 10pm Milford Graves and Evan Parker

Sunday September 14th 8pm duos: Ikue Mori, Sylvie Courvoisier, Mark Feldman and Evan Parker; 10pm Quartet

Other:
Tuesday, September 16th, Snugs, Brooklyn, 8pm, Trio with Joe Morris, Nate Wooley

Wednesday, September 17th, Greenwich House Music School, Manhattan, 8pm duo with Joe Morris
Thursday, September 18th, Lily Pad, Cambridge, MA. Trio with Joe Morris, Nate Wooley
Friday, September 19th, Firehouse 12, 8pm, New Haven, CT. Trio with Joe Morris, Nate Wooley
Saturday, September 20th, Real Art Ways, Hartford CT. 8pm Stephen Haynes, Joe Morris and Evan Parker

Tuesday, September 23, Zürcher Studio (33 Bleecker St) 7pm, Ned Rothenberg and Evan Parker duo
Thursday, September 25th, Roulette, Brooklyn ??
Edited by Leeway

• 2 months later...

I'm really enjoying my first Evan Parker CD (50th Birthday Concert). Next month I'll try to pick up Topography of the Lungs and the Mad Dogs box.

There are a lot of four star reviews in the Penguin Guide (4th and 8th editions). Some titles probably a little hard to get by now.

50th Birthday Concert is a great 2 disc set.

My recommendations as always are Parker-Guy-Lytton At the Vortex and the 2 CD set The Two Seasons with John Edwards and Mark Sanders

Combined, these two live recordings contain the most intense tenor playing from the great saxophonist on record. All in a context that is as free jazz as he gets.

Obviously the Mad Dogs box is a great incredibly sounding document and demands to be heard but for pure Evan Parker, the above two recordings, from 1996 and 1999 respectively, capture the trios and the musicians at peak level.

I've added Pakistani Pomade to my list.

Monoceros is not covered in the Penguin guides I mentioned. They awarded a crown to The Snake Decides, but that soprano solo album is currently impossible to find second hand on CD. I was able to download FLACs of Monoceros, so I might track down an affordable CD copy of that album instead.

The Snake Decides is crushing, and certainly worth looking for. However, you would get the same idea with other solo CDs like Monoceros, Saxophone Solos, or Six of One.

So much to explore with Parker. I love his work with Louis Moholo on Bush Fire and Spirits Rejoice, for a bit of a different thing from him.

Do not miss the two records with Paul Bley and Barre Phillips on ECM. More crystalline, less fury. I also really like 'Boustrophedon' on that label, a much larger ensemble.

YES. I was meaning to mention those but couldn't quite bring them to mind. Time Will Tell is incredible.

Absolutely with you on those ECM trios

And for a recent release I might suggest John Escreet Trio + Evan Parker 'Sound, Space and Structures'.

I can see this list getting very long and erwbol getting very poor.....listening now to Whitstable Solos on Psi the most recent solo release I think and a lot more available than some of the older ones

Edited by mjazzg

The Snake Decides is crushing, and certainly worth looking for. However, you would get the same idea with other solo CDs like Monoceros, Saxophone Solos, or Six of One.

Wow, The Snake Decides goes for way more bread on CD than it does on LP!

Great record. Monoceros is off the charts, though, and Six Of One is pretty sick as well. I was spinning it the other day and it was killing me.

Still need a nice copy of Zanzou.

Interesting that many here seem to prefer the solo recordings - and especially the solo soprano recordings. I enjoy the sections of solo soprano playing, but I've never been thrilled to listen to too much solo saxophone recordings, even the best of the best which to me are probably the following - whether it be Braxton (although For Alto is great - but I might listen once every few years), Lacy, Mitchell or even my favorite saxophonist, Evan Parker.

Hearing Evan Parker live last fall when he played an incredible section of circular breathing soprano within a duet set with Sylvie Courvoisier was stunning, exciting and from a sonic standpoint, beyond what I could have imagined even though I was within 8 feet of his horn. Amazing live.

But for me the solo playing via a recording cannot compare to the visceral effect of hearing Evan Parker on tenor on recordings like The Two Seasons, At the Vortex, The Ayes Have it - or the great two sets on 50th Birthday Concert. This is where is closest or part of the jazz tradition - where I hear a groove (altered and off kilter in all cases, for sure), where I hear explosive tenor saxophone clearly of his own making - but coming from Coltrane or from the jazz tradition as a whole. This is what really speaks to me.