Evan Parker

7/4

I have enjoyed recent Parker gigs, though the way he plays now is not as raw as 40, 30 or even 15 years ago. I remember seeing him in the late '90s/early '00s with Schlippenbach and each occasion was momentous and extreme. The Parker/Guy/Lytton trio was also wonderful to see live during that period. It must've been even moreso in the salad days of efi.

I saw him do a short solo performance in Minneapolis in 2004 or 2005 and it was excellent; he then proceeded to play with local musicians who were excited to be onstage with him, and he was gracious in his playing with a young trio of Midwestern improvisers. Good times. He seems to be more measured in his playing now, but there are flashes of what has made him singular.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Snake Decides is crushing, and certainly worth looking for. However, you would get the same idea with other solo CDs like Monoceros, Saxophone Solos, or Six of One.

Wow, The Snake Decides goes for way more bread on CD than it does on LP!

Great record. Monoceros is off the charts, though, and Six Of One is pretty sick as well. I was spinning it the other day and it was killing me.

Still need a nice copy of Zanzou.

I suppose you have the Incus LP box set... <_<

Certainly Parker's playing was very raw 30 or 40 years ago. As I've mentioned earlier there are some days I prefer that searching, developmental sound. There is a solo/improvisation on Globe Unity Special on the opening Misha Mengelberg tracks that features the best of 70's era Evan and there are many more of those instances where the technique is sufficient for the raw power to emerge.

But the advancement in his art by the early 90's is huge - and the loss of harshness is replaced by a combination of a more advanced technique with plenty of power and raw sound remaining.

I first saw Parker live in probably 1998 with Mark Dresser and Bobby Previte.

I saw him again in May 2001 with Tim Berne, Drew Gress (wrong band for him - he disappeared as he was swallowed up) and the great Mark Sanders on drums. The second set was incredibly intense and was not matched in intensity until 2009 when during a 10 minute encore with Dresser & Hemingway, Parker (and the trio) played with an intensity that Parker-Guy-Lytton must have played with for 25 or 30 minutes at a clip back in the early or mid 90's. At the Vortex from 1996 documents this ably on record.

So the intensity has waned and the playing may be more measured and the excitement may have lessened to some extent, but what I heard in 2009 and during some of last September's sets, the brilliance remains.

I think that maybe the intensity has changed rather than waned. I'm with you on the development of the playing but hear an intensity now more centred in economy of expresion with a measured depth replacing the fiery outburst of old (which he still sometimes pulls out) something most noticeable in his tenor playing which now has a majesty unequalled elsewhere I think. The last two visits of Schlippenbach Trio have been some of the most intense playing I've ever heard. "The brilliance remains" - couldn't have put it better myself, Steve

Well said above.

Nipples is a great record and the passages of Bailey/Bennink/Niebergall on this and More Nipples make me wish Derek had made a trio album with those two. But I digress. Indeed, Parker's true individuality/originality emerged after 1969 but he's wonderful on every record he made in those early years. From a bit later, I'd like to get Cybernetic Serendipity Music. Homefromtheforest probably has it!

Well said above.

Nipples is a great record and the passages of Bailey/Bennink/Niebergall on this and More Nipples make me wish Derek had made a trio album with those two. But I digress. Indeed, Parker's true individuality/originality emerged after 1969 but he's wonderful on every record he made in those early years. From a bit later, I'd like to get Cybernetic Serendipity Music. Homefromtheforest probably has it!

Nope! Was outbid the few times I've seen it on eBay:(

Well said above.

Nope! Was outbid the few times I've seen it on eBay:(

If neither of you have it it must be RARE indeed :)

Edited by mjazzg

Well said above.

Nope! Was outbid the few times I've seen it on eBay:( If neither of you have it it must be RARE indeed :)

Haha...I never really bid hard for it; strikes me as more of a curio then anything. Where as I spent much effort and dollars tracking down a true 1st pressing of "topography of the lungs" with both inserts...that record was more important to me!

Here's some information that has come my way on the Evan Parker tour in September 2014. Some changes. SInce there is some overlap with Peter Evans residency at JACK, Brooklyn, I'm including that information as well:

The gig with Ned Rothenberg at the Zurcher Gallery has been cancelled and one with Peter Evans has been added

Peter Evans' Residency at JACK, Brooklyn

September 26-28th.

September 26th
Peter Evans/Evan Parker duo
Peter Evans Quintet

September 27th
Peter Evans/Joe McPhee trumpet duo
Peter Evans Quintet

September 28th
Peter Evans Quintet (2 sets)

Here's some information that has come my way on the Evan Parker tour in September 2014. Some changes. SInce there is some overlap with Peter Evans residency at JACK, Brooklyn, I'm including that information as well:

The gig with Ned Rothenberg at the Zurcher Gallery has been cancelled and one with Peter Evans has been added

Peter Evans' Residency at JACK, Brooklyn

September 26-28th.

September 26th

Peter Evans/Evan Parker duo

Peter Evans Quintet

September 27th

Peter Evans/Joe McPhee trumpet duo

Peter Evans Quintet

September 28th

Peter Evans Quintet (2 sets)

I wonder who is in his quintet(s)

I think the line-up shifts, but this is what it was in May 2014 at an Issue Project Room performance:

Peter Evans - trumpet, piccolo trumpet, compositions
Ron Stabinsky - piano
Tom Blancarte - bass
Jim Black - drums
Sam Pluta - live electronics

• 2 weeks later...

More 70th birthday celebrations. I like the way it's programmed across the two venues

Mon 20/10 Cafe Oto - EP and The Necks

Tues 21/10 Vortex - EP, Joe McPhee, John Edwards, Chris Corsano

Weds 22/10 Cafe Oto - EP and AMM

Thurs 23/10 Vortex - EP, Black Top (Pat Thomas, Orphy Robinson), JOhn Edwards, Steve Noble

Fri 24/10 Cafe Oto - EP, John Russell, John Edwards

sat 25/10 Vortex - EP + Trance Map Quartet (Barry Guy, Hannah Marshall, Matt Wright)

Sun 26/10 cafe Oto - EP Electro Acoustic Ensemble

That's a hell of a celebration.

I'm definitely be going to The Necks evening and will hope to make a couple others, life permitting