Evan Parker

7/4

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the psi/Emanem update ... definitely got some catching up to do there! Ordererd a few things (including the first Rutherford/Iskra 3CD set), including some Parker discs. Hard to get the wishlist down to a sensible length (I'm somewhere between 250 and 300£ now ...)

I could really band my head against the wall for having missed out on the reissue of "Topography of the Lungs" ... if anyone has an extra copy or finds one that fell of some truck, I'd be very interested!

Thanks for the info on sourcing EP's Western Front -> was hoping Honest Jon's (UK) carried it -> have bought vinyl from them before

Just looked at my PSI acquisitions - have almost half of the 84 releases (there are probably 4 or 5 more I'd like to get)

Need to get a few more Lol Coxhill & Paul Rutherford releases

The price has been dropped to 7 pounds for quite a few of the PSI & Emanem single discs

• 7 months later...

Just booked a ticket for this:

Music / Saturday, 5 April 2014 - 8:00pm / Hall One: King's Place London
  • Evan Parker saxophones
  • Phillipp Wachsmann, Alison Blunt, Sylvia Hallett, Dylan Bates violin
  • Aleksander Kolkowski viola, stroh viola, wax cylinder recorder
  • Benedict Taylor viola
  • Hannah Marshall, Alice Eldrich, Marcio Mattos cello
  • John Russell guitar
  • John Edwards, David Leahy bass
  • Adam Linson double bass
  • Django Bates piano, peck horn
  • Percy Pursglove trumpet
  • John Rangecroft clarinet
  • Neil Metcalfe flute
With the help of some very special big-band guests, Evan Parker celebrates his 70th birthday – on the day – here at Kings Place.
Evan Parker has been playing sax since he was 14. Over his long, innovative and sometimes controversial career, he has collaborated and formed long-term associations with many jazz greats, explored the use of 'noise', experimented with home-made instruments, co-founded the ground-breaking and hugely influential Incus label, and embraced sound processing and electronica.
He is perhaps most recognized as the creator of a new solo saxophone language, extending the techniques and experiments started by John Coltrane and Albert Ayler, taking them into the realm of abstraction. His use of circular breathing techniques to create extended, complex, overlapping, repetitive and beautiful soundscapes is generally seen as the apex of saxophone virtuosity.
This is sure to be a unique and very special occasion. Don't miss out – book early.
I'm already booked into a performance of the St. Matthew Passion in Oxford the following day so this linked in nicely.
Not seen Evan Parker since the last Appleby wash-out (weather, not music, wise). And I've never been to King's Place so that will be interesting.
Edited by A Lark Ascending

Just booked a ticket for this:

Music / Saturday, 5 April 2014 - 8:00pm / Hall One: King's Place London

• Evan Parker saxophones
  • Phillipp Wachsmann, Alison Blunt, Sylvia Hallett, Dylan Bates violin
  • Aleksander Kolkowski viola, stroh viola, wax cylinder recorder
  • Benedict Taylor viola
  • Hannah Marshall, Alice Eldrich, Marcio Mattos cello
  • John Russell guitar
  • John Edwards, David Leahy bass
  • Adam Linson double bass
  • Django Bates piano, peck horn
  • Percy Pursglove trumpet
  • Neil Metcalfe flute
With the help of some very special big-band guests, Evan Parker celebrates his 70th birthday – on the day – here at Kings Place.

Evan Parker has been playing sax since he was 14. Over his long, innovative and sometimes controversial career, he has collaborated and formed long-term associations with many jazz greats, explored the use of 'noise', experimented with home-made instruments, co-founded the ground-breaking and hugely influential Incus label, and embraced sound processing and electronica.

He is perhaps most recognized as the creator of a new solo saxophone language, extending the techniques and experiments started by John Coltrane and Albert Ayler, taking them into the realm of abstraction. His use of circular breathing techniques to create extended, complex, overlapping, repetitive and beautiful soundscapes is generally seen as the apex of saxophone virtuosity.

This is sure to be a unique and very special occasion. Don't miss out – book early.

I'm already booked into a performance of the St. Matthew Passion in Oxford the following day so this linked in nicely.
Not seen Evan Parker since the last Appleby wash-out (weather, not music, wise). And I've never been to King's Place so that will be interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up, I must try to get down for that.

Update:

Damn, it clashes with a Joe Lovano concert I've already booked for at The Sage.

I'll try and make his 80th!

Edited by Head Man

Maybe we could have that pint!

Just thought, I saw EP in a never ending permutation at Cheltenham a few years back with Sanders, Edwards, Peter Evans and others. I think that was my last time.

I'm intrigued to hear:

• Neil Metcalfe flute

Really taken by their contributions to a couple of his larger ensembles.

Maybe we could have that pint!

Just thought, I saw EP in a never ending permutation at Cheltenham a few years back with Sanders, Edwards, Peter Evans and others. I think that was my last time.

I'm intrigued to hear:

• Neil Metcalfe flute

Really taken by their contributions to a couple of his larger ensembles.

see you at the bar!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, very enjoyable. I love the opening where he goes all philosophical about jumping into pools and then says I hope you don't use that, it's bollocks.

Now if only BBC 4 could do one of its Friday evening specials on Evan Parker....and Barry Guy...and John Stevens... There are tales to be told, I suspect.

Has there ever been a biography?

Yes, very enjoyable. I love the opening where he goes all philosophical about jumping into pools and then says I hope you don't use that, it's bollocks.

Now if only BBC 4 could do one of its Friday evening specials on Evan Parker....and Barry Guy...and John Stevens... There are tales to be told, I suspect.

Has there ever been a biography?

There was a 'kickstarter'style attempt to get a bio funded a couple of years ago but it didn't come to fruition

Lordy Lordy to see John Edwards playing with 2 or 3 strings left on the bass is a nice dream I have.....

The end of that film was close to priceless.

I love it, I LOVE it

I did a gig once with Evan and John, and can't remember whether it was Tony Marsh or Louis Moholo-Moholo on drums...anyway, what I do remember is John losing a string within 5 minutes of the first set starting. Obviously, the guy's such a master (I don't use the word lightly) that I needed to see it; I *certainly* couldn't hear it!

Excellent 70th concert. Very much demonstrated Parker's commitment to the idea of ensemble playing. Five pieces for alternating quartets and trios in the first half with everyone just playing once. Then a very dense toute ensemble second half with waves of great intensity broken through by passages allowing smaller combinations to create distinctive texture. But never any sense of a solo as such.

Evan did come back for a short soprano piece showing his mesmerising circular breathing.

Need to hear some of his music with strings on record now. Very taken by some of the Webernesque passages in the first half. A project for Spotify next week.

Nice to chat to mjazzg and friend. Don't often get to enthuse about this sort of music (or jazz in general) in real life.

Excellent 70th concert. Very much demonstrated Parker's commitment to the idea of ensemble playing. Five pieces for alternating quartets and trios in the first half with everyone just playing once. Then a very dense toute ensemble second half with waves of great intensity broken through by passages allowing smaller combinations to create distinctive texture. But never any sense of a solo as such.

Evan did come back for a short soprano piece showing his mesmerising circular breathing.

Need to hear some of his music with strings on record now. Very taken by some of the Webernesque passages in the first half. A project for Spotify next week.

Nice to chat to mjazzg and friend. Don't often get to enthuse about this sort of music (or jazz in general) in real life.

Beautifully put, agree wholeheartedly. thanks for saving me (and the board) from writing my review, Bev.

Maybe the surprise of the evening for me was witnessing Django Bates in such company (perhaps the only one who couldn't be described as a 'usual suspect'?) - his piano contributions seemed to me uncharacteristically minimal (and free) but absolutely on the money

the whole evening came across as a very warm tribute to EP - I felt it was evident that every musician was pleased to be there and contributing. A word also for the sumptuous acoustic which made every contribution beautifully clear.

Enjoyed our chat too - Henry Cow and Family!

Sounds like a great event - very happy that it happened. Very grateful that at least a couple of listeners here attended.

Listened to disc 2 of Most Materiall this AM - the free jazz session that starts with track 2 with Prevost at his jazziest best. Some of Evan's most powerful tenor on record.

I listened to that this morning too