Favorite Founding Father

Who's Your Favorite Founding Father?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very hard to choose, of course. Washington probably carries the least amount of baggage, though I am inclined toward the under-recognized Madison and Hamilton, whose vision of American government and the American economy continue to endure.

Since I'm a Unitarian, I picked Jefferson.

Yeah, yeah - I know - he wasn't perfect by a long shot. But his 'good' far outweighed his 'bad'. For instance, he donated nearly 10,000 of his own books towards forming one of the very first university libraries in the entire United States. I don’t have my facts exactly straight on the details (like I’m guessing at the number of books), but I do know that he was instrumental in the formation of paths towards higher education in this country. I’ll nose around, get my story straight, and post more here later...

For instance, Jefferson donated nearly 10,000 of his own books towards forming one of the very first university libraries in the entire United States. I don’t have my facts exactly straight on the details (like I’m guessing at the number of books), but I do know that he was instrumental in the formation of paths towards higher education in this country. I’ll nose around, get my story straight, and post more here later...

"By 1814 when the British burned the nation's Capitol and the Library of Congress, Jefferson had acquired the largest personal collection of books in the United States. Jefferson offered to sell his library to Congress as a replacement for the collection destroyed by the British during the War of 1812. Congress purchased Jefferson's library for $23,950 in 1815."

Not on the list, and not a true Founding Father, but Thomas Paine has always been a hero of mine. An unabashed, wild-ass radical whose spirit has yet to be totally eradicated from the American Character, in spite of innumerable attempts to do so!

Edited by JSngry

From this list of British people ;) I voted for George Washington, who was easily one of our greatest presidents.

Not only was he personally beyond reproach, but he set the tone for the presidency. He made sure that the office would not mimic royalty and was determined to step down after serving his time.

He was a very average general but an outstanding politician and leader.

A great great British err American!

I'm torn between Jefferson and Franklin. They were both people I think I could have related to on a certain level, in that they were inquisitive, interested in many things, and opinionated. They both had their problems, but I've never met anyone who didn't.

I went with Jefferson. Helped write the Declaration of Independence, Louisiana purchase and really our first President. Yes, there was Washington and Adams but one was Father of the Country and Adams his natural successor but Jefferson was the first President of the 19th century and really expanded what was then a little country.

Actually, isn't B3er our Founding Father? :g

As an unbiased observer, I gotta go with Ben Franklin. Poor Richard's Almanack" and the kite thing, as well as his constant prosthelizing must have driven his wife nuts. Ben was up for anything.

Edited by patricia