Playing Monk Tunes

Dan Gould

Still not my "favorite" Monk tenorist (that would probably be Rollins),

I'm taping a Monk/Rollins program tomorrow morning and have been listening to all of their sessions for the past three days (and for the first time in several years). It's addictive, because I seem to hear more each time through... even "Friday the 13th" (a tune which Gitler or whoever was producing the session allegedly exhorted them to keep extending) redeemed itself when I listened to it a second & third time. There's an ease there in Rollins' & Monk's rapport that's remarkable, esp. given that Rollins was what--23 at the time? They recorded together only four times (if you count the BRILLIANT CORNERS sessions as one); Rollins was the only musician that Monk recorded as a sideman with more than once. (Coming in at the last moment for Elmo Hope on the late-1954 "I Want to Be Happy" date.)

My favorite tenor w/Monk as well.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I've fallen. And landed hard. Ouch,

Starting with the melody is the best way to learn the innards of the tune, mopreso thna with most things. Staying with the melody can get you into some into some very interesting places, since those pieces aren't just "songs". They're self-sufficient, self-sustaing organisms.

My respect for Steve Lacy grows daily! There was a cat who stuck with Monk's melodies no matter where it led him. (and no D'Imperio jikes, please... :g )

I think Monk's on record as having said this is exactly what he wanted musicians to do--stay with his melodies (as opposed to playing on the changes). He certainly wrote 'em that way.

Still not my "favorite" Monk tenorist (that would probably be Rollins),

I'm taping a Monk/Rollins program tomorrow morning and have been listening to all of their sessions for the past three days (and for the first time in several years). It's addictive, because I seem to hear more each time through... even "Friday the 13th" (a tune which Gitler or whoever was producing the session allegedly exhorted them to keep extending) redeemed itself when I listened to it a second & third time. There's an ease there in Rollins' & Monk's rapport that's remarkable, esp. given that Rollins was what--23 at the time? They recorded together only four times (if you count the BRILLIANT CORNERS sessions as one); Rollins was the only musician that Monk recorded as a sideman with more than once. (Coming in at the last moment for Elmo Hope on the late-1954 "I Want to Be Happy" date.)

My favorite tenor w/Monk as well.

'The Way You Look Tonight' by Monk/Rollins is a desert island choice for me!

The trio track 'Work' from the same LP is perfect as well. Amazing that Monk never recorded it again.

This was the performance that T.S. Monk heard that made him realize what a heavy-hitter his dad was. I can understand why. He listened to it to test some speakers he had made or bought, and wound up listening to it over and over.

Bertrand.

The trio track 'Work' from the same LP is perfect as well.  Amazing that Monk never recorded it again.

This was the performance that T.S. Monk heard that made him realize what a heavy-hitter his dad was.  I can understand why.  He listened to it to test some speakers he had made or bought, and wound up listening to it over and over.

Bertrand.

"Work" is a treasure. Mighta been work to play, but listening to it is pure pleasure. One of the most sublime recorded moments in all of Monkdom.

The trio track 'Work' from the same LP is perfect as well.  Amazing that Monk never recorded it again.

Just listened to this - strange, but I keep hearing Rouse's tenor playing the first phrase of the theme - maybe there be some re-worked version of this tune undera different title?

And was this written on the changes of "Nice work if you can get it" (hence the title)? Then It could be I remember some recording of the latter with Rouse .....

Edited by mikeweil