Multi-volume OJCs that should get the Concord

Big Al

Concord is onto a good thing by packaging the Miles Davis Quintet legendary session onto a remastered three-disc set. They should take this concept and run with it with other sessions or volumes like that. Here's some choices I would nominate:

Shelly Manne and His Men at the Blackhawk, Vols. 1-5

Hampton Hawes' All Night Sessions

Red Garland's Quintet Sessions with Byrd & Trane

The Lennie Niehaus Contemporary Recordings

Perhaps they could package them much like the Mosaic Selects or something.

Looks like the Bill Evans "Vanguard" material is getting this treatment.

I have that 3CD as japanese K2 Re-Master since more than a year. It is distributed in Germany via ZYX. I can easily recommend that.

Not sure if the now announced US release is any different in terms of mastering or packaging.

Cheers, Tjobbe

i own this two-disc set. it's a digital 20bit k2 remaster from japan in a fold-out cardboard sleeve. it's great!

B00005J4CQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Cool! :tup I wonder if the Japanese have given that same K2 treatment to other sessions like that?

The Hawes gatefold is sweet. It would be nice to see them go the gatefold route and produce a couple of slick little sets as suggested earlier by Al. Manne & Niehaus cardboard sleeve sets would be my top picks.

Concord is onto a good thing by packaging the Miles Davis Quintet legendary session onto a remastered three-disc set.

I know my eyesight is getting worse, but I've looked everywhere on the internet and don't see this listed anywhere (including Jazzmatazz, Concord or Fantasy). Where did you hear about it?

Due out October 4: 

The Red Garland Quintet with John Coltrane is getting the Prestige Profile treatment.

It will be a single CD plus a "unique bonus disc".  I have no idea what the bonus disc might be.

The material recorded on 13 Nov and 10 Dec 1957 will fit on 2 CDs.

Edited by Bill B

Concord is onto a good thing by packaging the Miles Davis Quintet legendary session onto a remastered three-disc set.

I know my eyesight is getting worse, but I've looked everywhere on the internet and don't see this listed anywhere (including Jazzmatazz, Concord or Fantasy). Where did you hear about it?

JPF, see this thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...topic=21336&hl=

JPF, see this thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...topic=21336&hl=

Thanks!!

• 7 months later...

Good idea for a thread! I've been thinking about this a lot lately. The Bill Evans Vanguard set is so nice — I personally wish Concord would stall their RVG series in favor of focusing on this type of "complete" 2 or 3-disc set. I would imagine that these sets would do well:

• Eric Dolphy & Booker Little: The Complete Five Spot Recordings (in program order)

• Eric Dolphy: The 1961 "In Europe" Recordings

• Charles Mingus: The Complete 1955 Cafe Bohemia Recordings

And, while perhaps more for "collectors," how about these:

• The Prestige All-Stars (perhaps the s/t album along with Teo and Earthy ... and?)

• some kind of Teddy Charles collection, either as performer or producer

• The "Mal" recordings of Mal Waldron

Does anyone have Concord's contact e-mail for suggesting/asking about this kind of thing?

Edited by Late

I could go for a Harold Land or Elmo Hope set myself.

By the way, is it just me or is the Concord website a pain in the ass? I wish they had left the old OJC site active. It wasn't as slick or modern or whatever, but it was certainly easier to navigate and find the stuff you want. I have no interest in most of the stuff Concord offers apart from the OJC releases, but I guess that's just me...