Electric Piano Players

Jazz Kat

Interesting comments about electric piano feeling more comfortable. I agree that the Rhodes does feel very nice under the fingers, although most other electric pianos I have played I can't stand the feel of...I wonder if anyone else has a strong preference one way or the other?

My friend has a rhodes, and I love it. I hate when the keys take too long to come back up on most other electric pianos.

Jazz Kat Posted Today, 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Red @ Sep 5 2005, 06:14 AM)

Interesting comments about electric piano feeling more comfortable. I agree that the Rhodes does feel very nice under the fingers, although most other electric pianos I have played I can't stand the feel of...I wonder if anyone else has a strong preference one way or the other?

My friend has a rhodes, and I love it. I hate when the keys take too long to come back up on most other electric pianos.

Yeah, the funny thing about the (admittedly not very many) Rhodes I've played is that although the action is very very light, it's easy to control.

• 2 months later...

Re: the Rhodes touch, it seems that it can vary between different instruments (as the sound also does). I've played Mark I pianos with a very light touch, with almost too quick response, as well as those who demands great physical strength to produce any sound at all. It depends partly on the condition of the individual instrument, of course, but it seems that early Mark I:s are generally a bit harder to play. But - to my ears - those have the most beautiful sound. I think later Rhodes pianos can often sound a bit too polished and clean. I have played a few Wurlitzer electric pianos, which have had and extremely light touch that made them somewhat difficult to play for someone used to acoustic pianos.

Cedar Walton and Bill Evans are two jazz pianists not previously mentioned here with a disctinctive touch on the Fender Rhodes.

But my all time favorite is Chick Corea on "Light as a Feather". A Rhodes has seldom sounded better. I think Corea himself tried to get that sound again, but never succeeded completely; the instrument and amp were just rented for the recording session, and could not be located again, if I remember correctly. Incidentally, both a direct signal from the instrument and a miked one from the amp were recorded, but it was later decided to only use the sound from the amp.

BTW, this is a great website for info about the Fender Rhodes piano:

http://www.fenderrhodes.org/

Edit: I initially wrote Kurzweil; meant to say Wurlitzer.

Edited by Daniel A

I really like old Wurlitzers too. . . .They're very fun to play and when you get them going they can really growl. I like the action.

I've got a digital Yamaha piano that has a nice feel to it and has a fw good electric piano sounds; I like playing this for the Rhodes (a little too sweet) and Wurly sounds (the Wurly is pretty good).

I think Zawinul is a great electric pianist. . . his early stuff is really strong. And I agree about Light as a Feather. Fantastic.

JK, have you checked out much of the 70's stuff by The Crusaders? I'm not sure how much of it is currently available on CD, but I've seen SOUTHERN COMFORT (which was a twofer LP) around... this was the era when Larry Carlton was with them. Another great one (live) is SCRATCH. Joe Sample plays his butt off.

How about Brian Auger (Oblivion Express)?