Turn outhe stars

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, they're all OOP? I got Turn Out from French Amazon two years ago or so at a pretty nice prize... can't remember, but must have been around 40€.

For the rusting along Verve I payed a lot, though (Barnes & Noble was where I got it from, about two years ago, too).

Both last Fantasy boxes have been available from 2001 half a year ago, no idea if they're still there...

Anyone knows about the status of "Secret Sessions"? That's the one Evans box I still miss... French & German Amazon list it for 90 something euros - pretty steep for 8 CDs. Also German Amazon has 4-6 weeks or something that makes me think it could be on the endangered list, too (French has 6-12 days).

Flurin, only "Turn Out the Stars" and the Verve box appear to be OOP. "Last Waltz", "Consecration", and "Secret Sessions" are still in print. I was going to tell you about the sale price on the Concord site (although I don't think they ship overseas), but Matthew beat me to it. :rolleyes:

I think it is also reasonably safe to say that the Riverside box is going as well. Maybe the Fantasy too? I wouldn't be too confident about the others being reprinted but maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Wow, they're all OOP? I got Turn Out from French Amazon two years ago or so at a pretty nice prize... can't remember, but must have been around 40€.

For the rusting along Verve I payed a lot, though (Barnes & Noble was where I got it from, about two years ago, too).

Both last Fantasy boxes have been available from 2001 half a year ago, no idea if they're still there...

Anyone knows about the status of "Secret Sessions"? That's the one Evans box I still miss... French & German Amazon list it for 90 something euros - pretty steep for 8 CDs. Also German Amazon has 4-6 weeks or something that makes me think it could be on the endangered list, too (French has 6-12 days).

Flurin, only "Turn Out the Stars" and the Verve box appear to be OOP. "Last Waltz", "Consecration", and "Secret Sessions" are still in print. I was going to tell you about the sale price on the Concord site (although I don't think they ship overseas), but Matthew beat me to it. :rolleyes:

I think it is also reasonably safe to say that the Riverside box is going as well. Maybe the Fantasy too? I wouldn't be too confident about the others being reprinted but maybe I'm just a pessimist.

That's right--the Riverside box is now OOP, also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After reading 2 bios of Evans I'm under the impression that he was in pretty bad shape near the end of his life.

But his playing is very powerful on Consecration and Last Waltz-- as if he was able to get it together once he got to the piano bench.

He was in fairly rough shape but it didn't affect the music or his playing. My memories of 2 consecutive nights at Ronnie Scotts during Summer of 1980 are getting hazy these days but seem to recall him being assisted to the piano on at least one occasion and it could have been by Helen Keane.

Listening to the Mosaic vinyl brought back vividly the intimacy of the gig and of the repertoire of that time. On one of those nights there were only 15 or so fans left in the audience for the 1am late show and you could get seated right up front. Almost like a private recital. His playing was significantly better on the late shows.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 months later...

Are you sure about Last Waltz and Consecration? It seems like they're available on most of the websites I've checked. I'd prefer to not have to spend the money right now, but I will if I "have to." :rolleyes:

I think....think ...that I may have stumbled into a good deal over at Amazon Canada yesterday and snagged the Consecration box for a darned nice price -- CDN$ 12.72 ($11 US?? :blink: ). With an $8 shipping charge my guess is that it's the 8-disc box. Is this possible??? Have received a confirmation notice so we'll see what happens.

Are you sure about Last Waltz and Consecration? It seems like they're available on most of the websites I've checked. I'd prefer to not have to spend the money right now, but I will if I "have to." :rolleyes:

I think....think ...that I may have stumbled into a good deal over at Amazon Canada yesterday and snagged the Consecration box for a darned nice price -- CDN$ 12.72 ($11 US?? :blink: ). With an $8 shipping charge my guess is that it's the 8-disc box. Is this possible??? Have received a confirmation notice so we'll see what happens.

Sounds like a great deal if everything holds together. I'm saving money for a big splurge in January to get the Last Waltz/Consecration/Secret Sessions sets. I'm not sure about the Complete Fantasy, I'm wondering if the sound is any good on those cds; whether to go for Japanese K-2 imports for the individual sessions; wait to see if Concord puts the box on sale during another blow-out sale; or wait for whatever else they have in mind regarding the Evans catalog. Decisions, decisions.....

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but that seller is Caiman, and I'm betting that listing is a screw-up. Caiman has a listing for the single Timeless disc called "Consecration Vol. 2" on the US Amazon site (and NO listing under the Milestone box set) here (which is also probably a screw-up, since that CD is now OOP). Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but that seller is Caiman, and I'm betting that listing is a screw-up. Caiman has a listing for the single Timeless disc called "Consecration Vol. 2" on the US Amazon site (and NO listing under the Milestone box set) here (which is also probably a screw-up, since that CD is now OOP). Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it. :(

Hey, no bubble bursting allowed!!!! :P Just got back from Sarasota and found the box waiting. It's the real deal........sealed 8-cd set w/no dents, tire treadmarks, etc. :party:

Hey, no bubble bursting allowed!!!! :P Just got back from Sarasota and found the box waiting. It's the real deal........sealed 8-cd set w/no dents, tire treadmarks, etc. :party:

Excellent! :tup I'm glad I lost the bet. :rolleyes: (What were we betting, anyway? :blink: )

Weird, I was surprised at how the sound was better than I thought it would be.

Fantasy was about to release a single CD "Best of the Secret Sessions" and then Concord took charge.

I wonder if that project died ? There is still much more on those Harris tapes that have yet to be released.

Makes one wonder about the relationship between the Evans estate and Concord ?

Edited by Bill B

Weird, I was surprised at how the sound was better than I thought it would be.

Fantasy was about to release a single CD "Best of the Secret Sessions" and then Concord took charge.

I wonder if that project died ? There is still much more on those Harris tapes that have yet to be released.

Makes one wonder about the relationship between the Evans estate and Concord ?