History?

felser

How did everybody end up on the Organissimo site for the jazz community?  Seems like a very esoteric destination compared to Jazz Corner or All About Jazz, but clearly this is where the life is.

Short version:

When the Blue Note Bulletin Board shut down back in 2003, Jim Alfredson was kind enough to start up this board so we would all have a place to hang. :tup

After 2 1/2 years and nearly 400,000 posts, we're stronger than ever!

When Blue Note wrecked havoc with its Bulletin Board (long story, don't ask unless you really want to know :g ), Jim started this one. When BN finally shut their board down completely, after a long, gruesome period of atrophy, this one had already begun to thrive for us as a more than adequate replacement.

Almost all (all?) of us initially came here because we were an established community looking for a new, friendly home. I suspect we stay as much because we dig the vibe - no heavy-handed overseer enforcing a "vision" on the board as because of the shared history. And hopefully it's that vibe that keeps people coming back once they discover this place.

Now, as far as "shared history" goes, its being made every day. So if you're a relative newbie (as your post count suggests), don't be bashful about jumping on in and helping create some.

In other words, welcome aboard!

I'm another migrant from the old Blue Note Bulletin Board. I joined that board almost completely clueless about jazz, learned an incredible amount and gradually built a decent collection of mainly 50's and 60's hard bop based on the amazing archive of info and some occasional queries to the veterans.

REALLY sad how the BNBB melted down...but it was great that this board provided a refuge. As I recall, a number of us also joined All About Jazz at about that time, but the established community there seemed to feel a bit overwhelmed and annoyed by the sudden influx of immigrants, many of whom had well established opinions. Hard to blame the folks at AAJ, really, for feeling a bit put upon.

Anyway, my take is that Organissimo seemed to provide a fresh start, rather than dropping into an established community, and here we still are.

I'm so busy I mostly just lurk, not that I ever had much to contribute except questions, but I stop in most everyday. This is a great board.

Edited by riverrat

I'm another migrant from the old Blue Note Bulletin Board.  I joined that board almost completely clueless about jazz, learned an incredible amount and gradually built a decent collection of mainly 50's and 60's hard bop based on the amazing archive of info and some occasional queries to the veterans.

REALLY sad how the BNBB melted down...but it was great that this board provided a refuge.  As I recall, a number of us also joined All About Jazz at about that time, but the established community there seemed to feel a bit overwhelmed and annoyed by the sudden influx of immigrants, many of whom had well established opinions.  Hard to blame the folks at AAJ, really, for feeling a bit put upon.

Anyway, my take is that Organissimo seemed to provide a fresh start, rather than dropping into an established community, and here we still are. 

I'm so busy I mostly just lurk, not that I ever had much to contribute except questions, but I stop in most everyday.  This is a great board.

Agreed, I really like it here, never felt that I wanted to participate at All About Jazz. I've been at this in very dedicated fashion for 33 years, so have an opinion or two myself.

The above copains describe it will. This was one of the few times I followed the herd. (Probably the case for many of us who did!)

Also I'll chime in with WELCOME John! Glad you're here, I've enjoyed our little communiques and commerce off the board!

I was a Blue Noter as well, although towards the end. I probably only posted for a few months before it closed 'temporarily' for good. For awhile I went to AAJ, but people kept mentioning Organissimo. The traffic here, and the quality of opinions, is no contest compared to AAJ. Glad to get my jazz jones when Im usually surrounded by people in real life who may have heard of Miles Davis.

Lucky for us Jim started this board.

Very lucky. An unusual set of circumstances which led to a diverse and interesting group of new (and old) friends.

Surely it would have happened in time, but that it happened so quickly and successfully is due to Jim's foresight and short work of getting the board together.

:tup

Like most here I was a long time BNBB member, when that place took a shit, we all raced around in search of a new home.

Lucky for us Jim started this board.

BNBB former member here as well. We checked out a couple of false trails before arriving here. I basically followed Catesta around, as far as where to go. I remember him stretching free-speech rights when he posted girlie pics at one of the first boards we checked out. :lol::lol:

And not to start any kind of group hug or anything, but this place beats BNBB and rec.music.bluenote (which was the jazz place to be in the pre-bulletin board Internet) - because the moderation here is on-target. When an asshole starts up, retribution will be swift.

rmb is completely unpoliced and just about everyone has given up on it as a regular home (but thank God for the groups.google.com archive of it!) and BNBB (and the other current boards) have industry agendas that do not allow for a free exchange of ideas.

This is the place.

Mike