Mighty Quinn Records

medjuck

Received the Adams, Land, and Hall discs late yesterday from Mighty Quinn. I'm playing the Adams disc right now and I've gotta say it sounds just great. I never tire of Adams, that large sharp guttural tone---no wonder, as Ted Panken says in the liners, Adams was known as The Knife (though I'm not sure how widely that nickname was used). MQ's done a fine job here. Next, the Land.

Wasn't TAKE AIM the title that Hardbop was always asking for on the BN board? And wasn't that the title that several people (who had the vinyl) were always telling him was actually not all that great?

All a subjective matter anyway, IMO... I'm just testing my memory. ^_^

Next, the Land.

So, what's the verdict?

I like it. Nothing spectacular but good, solid playing by Harold Land (I'll take anything with Harold on it). Added bonus of Martin Banks on trumpet too !

I suspect that the somewhat boxed-in sound on the original 'Rainbow series' LP did this session no favours so the Mighty Quinn issue (if they improve the sound) should be beneficial.

Next, the Land.

So, what's the verdict?

Very good. Swinging and a little loose. Nice to have it. I've listened to it only once but the sound (though remastered a tad loud) seems to be an improvement over what I remember of the vinyl. I don't recall what date the 20 minute bonus track is from, but it fits in with the feel of the rest of the record.

I suspect that the somewhat boxed-in sound on the original 'Rainbow series' LP did this session no favours so the Mighty Quinn issue (if they improve the sound) should be beneficial.

No real reason to bring the "rainbow series" into a discussion of a poorly recorded session. Comments can reflect on a whole series unfairly.