Please... we need your help.

Hi everyone!

Firstly, I want to personally thank everyone for making the board such a success. Over 30,000 posts in just four months?!? That's crazy! I think we have a nice community here and I enjoy logging in everyday and reading the posts from my friends. Thank you!

The purpose of this thread is to ask for a little help from you. Organissimo has been accepted to play the Clearwater Jazz Festival in Clearwater, Florida on October 18th of this year. We are hiring Ron Blake to play with us (the wonderful saxophonist on our disc). This is a huge break for us and I am trying to book some club dates to play on the way down to Florida to capitalize on the opportunity.

Ron had a great idea. Rather than just focusing on jazz clubs, he and I want to focus on clubs that don't exclusively feature one type of music. For instance, Organissimo plays a bar in Grand Rapids called Billy's Lounge. We play every first Tuesday night of the month and always fill the place up and have a good time, playing mainly instrumental jazz/funk. We keep it on the funky side to appeal to the college kids that come out and dance, but we also through in straight-ahead stuff and they love that too. It's a great atmosphere. We want to find more clubs like that across the country. A club that people go to in order to hang out, listen to music, drink some beer, dance, and have a good time. Preferrably younger people who are open to different styles of music.

So, what I'm asking is this. What club in your neck of the woods do you think we would fit well in? It could be a "jazz" club, or it could be a nice little bar like mentioned above. My only concern is that they honestly feature live music (it's not just an afterthought... this means a real stage, lights, etc not some corner off to the side of the bathrooms) and they have a diverse clientel and diverse bands that play there.

Any and all leads welcome. And please give as much information as you can: club name, address, phone, a contact if you know one... whatever you got. I hope this isn't too much to ask, but we're really trying to break out of this state and expand our horizons. Since we haven't had any luck finding a manager, the responsability falls onto me.

Thank you for your help!

Hey Jim--

I put this information in another thread that was tangentially related, but don't know if anything ever came of it. Here's hoping this time it gets some play! ;) There are many, many places in Philadelphia where you guys could get a serious groove on, but try starting with these two, which are jazz clubs, as you state in your post, but where the music is most definitely not an afterthought:

First stop: Ortleib's Jazz Haus:

847 N 3rd St

Philadelphia, PA 19123

Mon-Sat 5:00pm- 2:00am

Sun 6:00pm- 2:00am

Tel: (215) 922-1035

Fax: (215) 922-7367

Email: psouders@localnet.com

http://www.ortliebsjazzhaus.com/1.html

Mickey Roker's quartet/quintet/ is their "house" band; the place is old school, fun, and the food isn't bad either.

Then check out Chris' Jazz Cafe:

1421 Sansom Street

Philadelphia, PA 19102

http://www.chrisjazzcafe.com/

Similar vibe, but not quite as old school.

A sweet, local (to me) dive-y place is Bob and Barbara's Saloon:

call Jack Prince

1509 South Street

(215) 545-4511

As their website says, "A Philly tradition! Bar and nightclub presenting nightly entertainment. Named award-winning fun spot by Philadelphia magazine, Philadelphia Weekly, and City Paper, with a truly mixed crowd: young, old, black, white, gay, and straight.

Hours: Open Monday thru Saturday, 3 pm to 2 am.

Entertainment: Friday, Saturday, and Monday, live jazz with Nate Wiley and the Crowd Pleasers, Hammond B-3 Organ Combo; Every Thursday night, our famous drag show, a Philly tradition presenting the best in female impersonation"

There's plenty more; feel free to ask me if you want to pursue Philly, which I hope you do, because we'd love to see you live!!!

Peter

Sure Dan, what's three hours when you've travelled that far? Thanks in advance for any hot tips, and we hope to see you (and everyone else whose city we play in) at the gig!

Peter- thanks again. We definitely want to come to Philly!

Edited by Joe G

Well, its going to be tough for me to recommend south Florida clubs-the best jazz concerts down here are put on by various Jazz Societies and they book formal performance spaces. The two clubs I've gone to tend to skew older than you guys are looking for. There're some blues clubs that might fit but I'll have to try to do some checking.

In the meantime, I do think that Tallahassee, FL is a definite target of opportunity, considering that there are something like 40,000 students there going to Florida State and Florida A&M. However, its been quite a while since I was in school and almost as long since I left. But there was one club that opened while I was in school and is still in business and I do think its got definite potential, and that is the "Musical Moon" or simply "The Moon". Its a converted A&P grocery store so its quite large and the music is definitely not an afterthought-the stage is big enough to have booked Brian Setzer's Orchestra, and the sound system is top-notch.

Here is the website:

http://www.moonevents.com/

It looks like right now they only have their regular DJ-nights (including "Stetson's On The Moon" which is the Country radio station's night). But I would definitely get in touch and see if they will book you. As far as I know they're it for decent music venues with lots of room for dancing.

Would love to see you guys play in DC. The Black Cat might be the kind of place you are looking for -- they host a variety of bands, from local harDCore to Vandermark 5 to Antibalas Afrobeat, or anything that is big on the college circuit, or bands from Japan or Europe or whatever. I wish I knew who I could get you in touch with.

Just to clarify - are you asking for any/all clubs (per your specifications) in our own hometowns??? (reguardless of where those hometowns happen to be, meaning anywhere in the U.S.??)?? Or, are you only looking for Florida hometowns??? Or clubs (per your specs) in hometowns in the south in general???

I'd be glad to let you in on the skinny for places to play in Kansas City, St. Louis, and maybe even in Iowa City (if I ask some friends of mine), and perhaps a few other midwestern cities.

But, alas, they all be in the oposite direction from your Florida trip.

I'll do some checking around for you down here. Nashville is right on the way down, so it would be an easy stop. Plus, you have a place to crash if you want!

I kind of know some guys at a hip record store that also do some small concert promotion. The place that first comes to mind is called the Slow Bar.

I'll let you guys know....

Thanks everyone. We want to play Philly definately. I sent a package to Chris' joint. I need to follow up on that. Thanks for reminding me! :)

Concerning Florida, I'm game for anywhere. The state is huge, but it's beautiful, it's a beautiful time of year to be down there, and like Joe said, what's a couple more hours after coming all the way from Michigan!?

Rooster, I am looking for any and all clubs. St. Louis is indeed a little out of the way, but maybe we could hit it on our way back up from Florida. I don't care. And maybe after the Florida hit we could hook up something where we head northwest and then come back home. I'm open.

Any club or establishment that features live music that you've been to and seen a concert or see ads for or whatever that you think we'll fit into (stylistically).

Thanks again!

Would love to see you guys play in DC.  The Black Cat might be the kind of place you are looking for -- they host a variety of bands, from local harDCore to Vandermark 5 to Antibalas Afrobeat, or anything that is big on the college circuit, or bands from Japan or Europe or whatever.  I wish I knew who I could get you in touch with.

Here's the website. Looks like they are booked straight thru September, so we'd better move quick if we want it.

Booking:

send a tape or cd to:

Black Cat PO Box 73338

Attn: Vicki

Washington, D.C. 20056

The booking line is (202) 667-4527. Booking hours are Monday to Thursday 12:00-4:00pm

Follow up with Vicki a week or two later. She can be reached at 202-667-4527 from noon to 4:00pm on Mondays to Thursday.

We do not do booking by email.

Edit: on the other hand, they have a scary clown there:

clown1.jpg

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Edited by Joe G

You would fit right in at the "Fat Cat" here in NYC.

Don't know anything about their booking policies and reimbursments, but they NEED you. Thery got some lame hard bop bands playing, along with the good people. It's in the Greenwich Village, lots of students, etc.

Another one that would be right up your alley is definitely the "St.Nick's Pub" in Harlem. The locals would definitely appreciate some authentic greaze till 3 am.

"Smoke" has a B-3, the patrons come to hear exactly the stuff you guys play.

Of course we intend to come to NY. Thanks for the leads.

And Portland is a goal for the future. My sister lived there for a year and loved it. She wants to move back when she finishes school. I've heard that the music scene there is quite healthy.

Stefan's recommendation of the Black Cat is excellent, but I think you also have a very good shot with either of the two main jazz clubs in town that book out-of-town talent.

1. Blues Alley (www.bluesalley.com) 202-337-4141 (ask for Ralph). They seem to make an effort to experiment on weeknights (week-ends are often very commercial), so it's worth a try. Of course, they are booked for a while.

2. Twins (www.twinsjazz.com) 202-234-0072 (ask for Kelley - if she asks if you are famous, say yes). Twins is a funny place, but they do get very good music. I think they don't pay much, and I've been told they often are unreliable. Since you know Bill Heid, who plays there often, he may give you an opinion. Some people play there often, others never go back. But the atmosphere is more 'real', IMHO.

Hope you can make it to D.C. I'm dying to meet those luscious boogaloo sisters.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Hey guys,

Not to support another BBS, but go to Jazz Corner Speakeasy and click on the Bose link at the top of the page. Bose is doing a search for musicians. You could get some gigs or free equipment out of it.

Here is a snippet

Bose Corporation is conducting a nationwide search for live musical talent. We're seeking a wide variety of group sizes and musical styles. Whether you're a solo performer or a 12-piece band, national touring act or local musician, independent or major label artist-if you put on a dynamic, engaging live performance, we want to hear from you.

What the hell, its worth a shot, eh?

If you make it over to Portland, swing down south to Eugene. There's a few jazz club's in town, but I'd recommend trying Sam Bond's Garage. They put on a variety of shows there, running from jazz to country to rock to indescribable. Good venue, nice stage, supportive audience. While you're at it, send some music to the local college radio station. There's a jazz program on Sunday that plays all styles, so you guys should fit in there somewhere. Link to their promotions department KWVA

with links to local clubs on that page.

Link to Sam Bond's Garage

Edited by Jad

Other DC suggestions:

Bohemian Caverns Jazz Lounge, 2001 11th St, NW, DC.

(202)- 299-0800

www.bohemiancaverns.com

Also try:

Madame's Organ Blues Bar and Soul Food Restaurant

2461 18th Street NW, Adams Morgan, Washington, DC

Sun-Thurs 5pm to 2am * Fri-Sat 5pm to 3am

(202) 667-5370

http://www.madamsorgan.com/madams.html

Both have extensive live performance schedules. If you come to DC, I will come out to see ya! Good luck on your trip.

Here are a few suggestions for Atlanta--would be great to have y'all down here:

Smith's Olde Bar

Address: 1578 Piedmont Ave. N.E., Atlanta, GA 30324

Information: 404-875-1522

Good Location--known for up and coming bands (sometimes jam-types)

Sambuca Jazz Cafe

Address: 3102 Piedmont Road N.E., Atlanta, GA 30305

404-237-5299

"Perfect blend of great nightly jazz and acclaimed cuisine. Live music seven nights a week spanning the many styles of jazz and featuring superb vocalists"

Echo Lounge

Address: 551 Flat Shoals Ave. S.E., Atlanta, GA 30316

404-681-3600

Nice Venue--I caught the Sugarman 3 here in April--great show

Churchill Grounds

Address: 660 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA 30308

404-876-3030

Closest to hard core jazz club--good jam sessions on Tuesdays

Hope this helps

If you do decide to head up this way and want more suggestions let me know. I could try to find the contact info for Nectar's, if you are looking for the complete old-school Phish vibe. Possibly the FlynnSpace, too, but their website lists rental fees, which is probably not what you were hoping to see.