NEW, NEVER HEARD, DIZZY & BIRD FROM UPTOWN

JSngry

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck,

Is there an actual release date yet - for the Parker/Gillespie Town Hall CD?

Also, would this be the very same Uptown which released two of my favorite LPs of all time - Dameronia w/Philly Joe Jones and would you know if there are any plans for a CD release?

Thank you,

Marla

Chuck,

Also, would this be the very same Uptown which released two of my favorite LPs of all time - Dameronia w/Philly Joe Jones and would you know if there are any plans for a CD release?

Thank you,

Marla

:tup

Chuck,

Thank you,

Marla

Marla, I hope Chuck will reply, but I know its been at least two years since he told us that at least one of the Dameronia albums was going to be reissued, and we're still waiting, wondering. :(

Thanks, Dan. I always try to have a positive outlook and say, well, something I can look forward to - though the Bird/Diz Town Hall concert looks like it might "hit the streets" sooner.

The Dameronia LPs are an absolute treasure. My LPs are shot to you-know-what since I didn't take very good care of them as a teenager. Thank goodness, a friend copied them to CD-R for me, but I very much look forward to buying the "real deal" on CD if and when either/both come out.

Two of the most memorable concerts I attended in NY:

- Philly Joe Jones and Dameronia at the now-defunct club in the Village, Lush Life.

- Dameronia after Philly Joe's passing at an Alice Tully Hall tribute to Tadd Dameron in 1988 (with Kenny Washington doing a magnificent job)!

Speaking of great ideas - that entire Alice Tully Hall concert (broadcast on NPR radio stations) should be grabbed by a label for release - the Tommy Flanagan Trio, one of Charlie Rouse's last performances (gorgeous version of "If You Could See Me Now," Clifford Jordan, Walter Davis Jr., Don Sickler, Frank Wess, Larry Ridley...

Marla

Edited by makpjazz57

Marla,

I'm lucky, I found clean copies of both of the Uptown LPs just before the time that Chuck told us that a reissue was upcoming. Glad I sprung for them, considering the delay!

Speaking of the post-Philly Joe Dameronia band, are you aware of this CD:

d25625v4cpc.jpg

Also with Kenny Washington. If you don't have it, it might be a nice reminder of the concert you saw. Very similar lineup to the Tully Hall show. Not sure how tough it is to get (its on Soulnote), but believe me, its worth the hunt!

Edited by Dan Gould

Pretty funny - I was the one there with two friends - arguing with one of them that Philly Joe could still play - both people attending with me were/are big jazz fans; one could be a bit cranky at times! Also fortunate to hear Red Garland there, too - the only time live!

Allen - what did you think of Dameronia at that time? Also, Philly Joe's playing? Perhaps I had "jazz stars in my eyes/ears," but I thought he was sounding just fine and in his prime!

Dan, yes, I proudly possess the CD you posted! I think I purchased it at J&R in NYC when I still lived in that neck of the woods.

Thanks,

Marla

Marla,

I'm lucky, I found clean copies of both of the Uptown LPs just before the time that Chuck told us that a reissue was upcoming.  Glad I sprung for them, considering the delay!

Speaking of the post-Philly Joe Dameronia band, are you aware of this CD:

d25625v4cpc.jpg

Also with Kenny Washington.  If you don't have it, it might be a nice reminder of the concert you saw.  Very similar lineup to the Tully Hall show. Not sure how tough it is to get (its on Soulnote), but believe me, its worth the hunt!

I recently was able to get a copy of this and while not as good as the 2 Uptown LPs, definitely worth it and an important addition.

BTW in a discussion of the Bee Hive Discography on page 4 of that thread, Chuck said the following about the reissue of the Dameronia lps:

"Yup, the PJJ Dameronias will eventually be reissued but the material needs to be remixed from the session tapes and some other issues have popped up (not legal) to delay the project. I suggested the reissue of Social Call when it became obvious the Dameronia stuff was delayed."

Edited by Brad

Same here, Allen. I've always considered myself lucky to at least be of an age during that time, where I could see/hear Philly Joe live, having missed the late 40's, all of the 50's and 60's. I was about 5 months old when Billy Holiday, Basie, Prez were all in the studio recording The Sound of Jazz - I think it was December 12, 1957?

Recordings such as the Bird/Diz Town Hall find become very important to those of us who weren't around to even get a chance to hear something that signficant in person.

Marla

I know exactly what you mean - I'd give up about 10 years of my life just to have heard Bird in person (this is assuming I'm going to live to be 110) - I've been lucky to have heard a few of the greats, though not always in their prime - Dickey Wells, Eddie Durham, Mingus, Earl Warren, Sammy Price, Al Haig, Joe Albany, Roy Eldridge, Chet Baker - but I think we all long for that time machine -

Well, must say to Chuck, this is the CD I already put some money on the side (about 6 months ago), and surely there is nothing else simillar (as far as CDs are concerned) I can wait so much time to hear.

I myself, personally am so interested in this one, that I will be so much excited first time I ever been able to listen to this issue.

Well, must say to Chuck, this is the CD I already put some money on the side (about 6 months ago), and surely there is nothing else simillar (as far as CDs are concerned) I can wait so much time to hear.

I myself, personally am so interested in this one, that I will be so much excited first time I ever been able to listen to this issue.

You'll love it; it will definitely be worth the wait, and Uptown's sure to provide a great booklet as well.

and Uptown's sure to provide a great booklet as well.

Not really needing much encouragement but their booklets are a major plus, wonder what and will be covered in this one, complete bios of everyone who claimed to have seen Bird in Kansas etc.....

seriously it's just been too long,

Edited by Clunky