NEW, NEVER HEARD, DIZZY & BIRD FROM UPTOWN

JSngry

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when do you start taking pre-orders, Chuck??  ^_^

This may be delayed while I work on the 6 minute version for one of our members. :ph34r:

The Diz/Bird material is only a little over 40 minutes,

>>>>

ok, 40m. that's still a lot less than the amount released on philology a couple of years ago. can you point me to that 10 page thread chuck?

half of the people here are excited only because it's on uptown. wow, uptown. bfd. i heard the mingus uptown, it's a novelty, and not much more.

you want to be a hero? release one of the harder to find 1964 mingus european concerts.

but i will admit that 40min of new parker is my cup of tea, to quote the english.

ok, 40m. that's still a lot less than the amount released on philology a couple of years ago. can you point me to that 10 page thread chuck?

On behalf of the collective board I would like to apologize to member "lp" for not starting a thread (which made it to at least ten pages" in the "New Release" section on a series of albums that were released, according to AMG, seven years before this board was created.

We should all hang our heads in shame.

I think we should start things off with a discussion of that upcoming new release "Livery Stable Blues / Dixie Jass Band One Step" by the ODJB. Once the thread has reached ten pages and member lp gives us all his approval, we can move forward to some more current new and upcoming releases. I'm really looking forward to discussing upcoming and new releases from 1919!

So when do you start taking pre-orders, Chuck??  ^_^

This may be delayed while I work on the 6 minute version for one of our members. :ph34r:

The Diz/Bird material is only a little over 40 minutes,

>>>>

half of the people here are excited only because it's on uptown. wow, uptown. bfd. i heard the mingus uptown, it's a novelty, and not much more.

you want to be a hero? release one of the harder to find 1964 mingus european concerts.

but i will admit that 40min of new parker is my cup of tea, to quote the english.

"Excited because its on Uptown"???

What the fuck is that? Who the fuck has said that??

People are excited because, as described by Jim in the first post of this thread, this is a never-before heard performance that is, if those who have heard it are to be believed, amazing.

Can you say the same thing about the Philology releases?

And last but not least, before criticizing "ten page threads" about something you think is pedestrian, you might try bearing in mind that this is material that we've had advance word on for quite some time, so the discussion, anticipation, requests for updates, etc., might produce an especially long thread due almost entirely to the wait we've had to endure.

Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown - Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown -Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown -Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown - Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown -Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown - Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown -Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown - Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown -Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown - Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown -Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown - Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown -Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown - Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown -Actually, I am excited only because it's Uptown

What be this?

Various Artists - Detroit Jazz Before Motown, 1945-53 (Uptown) Aug 1

— rare and previously unissued recordings featuring Wardell Gray, Barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Burrell, Willie Anderson and others; compiled by Jim Gallert and Lars Bjorn, authors of Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-1960 (University of Michigan Press)

What be this?

Various Artists - Detroit Jazz Before Motown, 1945-53 (Uptown) Aug 1

— rare and previously unissued recordings featuring Wardell Gray, Barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Burrell, Willie Anderson and others; compiled by Jim Gallert and Lars Bjorn, authors of Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-1960 (University of Michigan Press)

Didn't Ghost help bring Jim Gallert here to join the party? He'd be the one to share some details, I'd think.

Definitely one I'll be all over. Where did you find the listing, Stefan? Is it on Alan's site?

• 1 month later...

hey chuck,

it looks like the philology guy's already releasing parts of the 45 town hall concert that you've been teasing people with. by the time you get it out, it could already be on philology.

Bird's Eyes, Volume 67 (Philology W 898 (CD-R))

Title: Bird's Eyes, Volume 67

June 22, 1945 (2 items; TT = 6:31)

Town Hall, New York NY

Private recording (acetate)

Dizzy Gillespie All-Stars

Dizzy Gillespie (tpt); Charlie Parker (as); Al Haig (p); Dillon "Curly" Russell (b); Max Roach (d)

Groovin' High (D. Gillespie-F. Paparelli) (incomplete) 4:28

Cut off during piano solo.

Hot House (T. Dameron) (incomplete) 2:03

Cut off during piano solo.

Groovin' High (incomplete)

CD: Philology Volume 67 (W 898)

Hot House (incomplete)

CD: Philology Volume 67 (W 898)

---

i'm sure that you have a great lawyer, who won't be able to do shit about this.

btw, are you making a cross country tour with that tape? stopping by different towns in the country. like a politician.