Ingrid Jensen

• 2 weeks later...

About I. Jensen. I would like to raccomend everybody this wonderful, overlooked cd where I first heard her work: "Round About Now", 2004, By George Schuller (Danny McCaslin; Jensen; Tom Beckham; Dave Ambrosio; Pete McCAnn). A very intelligent tribute to Miles' music in the Water Babies/Filles de Kilimanjaro/In A Silent Way period. The group displays a great interaction, and avoiding to try and remake Davis' music, they succceed in playing some personal, deep and loose music. The drummer pays a smart virtuosistic tribute to T. Williams; Beckham's vibraphone substitutes Hancock Fender Rhodes with interesting likelyhood. Jensen, here Davis' sound reincarnation, does a very good and personal work, imho. Great group!

About I. Jensen. I would like to raccomend everybody this wonderful, overlooked cd where I first heard her work: "Round About Now", 2004, By George Schuller (Danny McCaslin; Jensen; Tom Beckham; Dave Ambrosio; Pete McCAnn). A very intelligent tribute to Miles' music in the Water Babies/Filles de Kilimanjaro/In A Silent Way period. The group displays a great interaction, and avoiding to try and remake Davis' music, they succceed in playing some personal, deep and loose music. The drummer pays a smart virtuosistic tribute to T. Williams; Beckham's vibraphone substitutes Hancock Fender Rhodes with interesting likelyhood. Jensen, here Davis' sound reincarnation, does a very good and personal work, imho. Great group!

Nice CD.

I like it too.

• 2 years later...

I remember Ingrid Jensen about 18 years ago, while she stayed in Viena. From the first note on I knew there´s a great voice on trumpet for the future. She was very very young then, but really had her stuff together. Fantastic!

During that time I still played piano on a semiprofessional base, doing club dates.

One time, a couple of players, among them a great saxophonist from Romania (Nicolas Simion), I don´t remember the bass player, the drummer was also from Romania, Ingrid Jensen and me decided to do a "gig", playing for a wedding somewhere at a country-hotel/restaurant. Not the ideal surroundings for jazz, but we managed to pick up a program with at least lots of "easier-listening" jazz-standards. As I told you, it was a gas to play with Ingrid Jensen, she also seemed to like what I played behind her while soloing. During intermission I told her I´m a Bud Powell freak, she said she´d like to do a club date with some be-bop repertory (stuff like "Bouncing with Bud", "Wail", "Dance of the Infidels"). I had some personal problems to resolve during that somehow unhappy time, and started having doubts about playing further more in public. Anyway, Ingrid Jenses sure had better offers even then, but always if I read her name I think "wow, did it really happen? I actually played with her once, a long long time ago.....

It really makes me happy she´s a big name in jazz and playing wonderful music. I was aware, that she´s a rising star, but she was really really a kind young lady.

Once , just for fun she played on a keyboard with an organ sound and it really grooved, with that good Jimmy Smith-feeling. I asked her "is there anything you c a n ´t play?.....

Just "discovered" Ingrid only yesterday, and have Here on Earth on order now. From reading this thread, I'd like to hear her live.

I saw Ingrid a few times, she can be sometimes off and on, but when she's on, she's special. Are you aware that her little sis' Christine who is a very fine composer has matured into a very good sax player.

• 5 months later...

Ingrid is now on the faculty part time at the University of Michigan. She appeared last month with the Western Michigan University Jazz Orchestra, and her own quartet, in Kalamazoo. Blue Lake had the good fortune of recording her band with Geeof Keezer, Matt Clohsey and her husband Jon Wikan a few years back during a concert at Mona Shore High School near Muskegon. Nice, long-form version of "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes."

Ingrid is now on the faculty part time at the University of Michigan. She appeared last month with the Western Michigan University Jazz Orchestra, and her own quartet, in Kalamazoo. Blue Lake had the good fortune of recording her band with Geeof Keezer, Matt Clohsey and her husband Jon Wikan a few years back during a concert at Mona Shore High School near Muskegon. Nice, long-form version of "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes."
I remember that guy Jon from Branford's wild and crazy forum I met you on and a rehearsal big band at local 802, also a Brookmeyer concert we both attended. Nice guy, good player for sure. Do they live in NY? I haven't seen him since. Ingrid I don't know enough about but she always sounded good to me. We were both featured on the same day in '95 at a series of original music by different composers at the Angry Squire. Neal Minor put it together. If I remember right Freddie Bryant had a group that day too, the late Mercedes Rossy, and Larry Goldings. On different days Joe Magnarelli, Ray Gallon, Sascha Perry, and other worthy musicians got their music played. I don't remember Ingrid's set in all candor but she always did sound good to me. Have to listen for her. Edited by fasstrack